RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

Yes a great day at Bo'ness yesterday, the two blue uns looked superb and the difference between the arguably correct blues was quite marked and in the sunshine the blues changed again.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181104_120539.jpg

I’m getting greedy. There have been a few 0-4-4Ts emerging lately and some still to come. That one would be nice. Besides, big railway companies had more than one type of loco.

I enquired about the different colours on Saturday and this is the explanation I was given by one of 419's footplate crew....

St Rollox painted all their locos in the shade of 828, this is the colour I remember 419 in when I first became involved with the SRPS back in 1979. Perth, however, apparently mixed their own blue and this is the lighter shade that 419 is now painted in.

Personally, I much prefer the darker shade of 828, the lighter shade makes 419 look "cheap" and too close to "Thomas" for my liking!

I am told the paint was supplied by the Caley Society, so that was what had to be used......

• RMweb Premium

I thought the canny Scots mixed white with the existing blue to eek out the paint further , hence the lighter shade . Might be an old wives tale . I certainly prefer the Caley blue on 828

Hi,

The project has continued to make progress. We have been waiting for Bachmann to complete the design process which they have now almost done.

We are currently still negotiating the price and hope to have this confirmed very soon.

The project is on track however there has been a short delay due to the fact that Kader have commissioned new factories in China. 

The new expected date is 2020.

We are as eager as most to get the product and we will update with the latest news as soon as we have it.

Thanks 

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for update - however do you now have a price - even a non-contractual non-binding for planning purposes only one or has that also gone back into melting pot with the delivery date due to the Bachmann delivery delay until 2020.

Even a target price would be helpful to some of us laggards who are sitting on the fence like poor old Macbeth  "letting I dare not ....etc .(it is a scottish loco after all !!)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for update - however do you now have a price - even a non-contractual non-binding for planning purposes only one or has that also gone back into melting pot with the delivery date due to the Bachmann delivery delay until 2020.

Even a target price would be helpful to some of us laggards who are sitting on the fence like poor old Macbeth  "letting I dare not ....etc .(it is a scottish loco after all !!)

Aaargh!!! You mentioned the 'Scottish play' by name; now all the thespians on here will be convinced the project is now jinxed (or should that be "doomed"?)!

Edited by Alex TM
  • Like 1

Don't forget that 419 is literally ex-works and a couple of years' service will mute the livery down to a more natural appearance. You'll see the light blue livery in its proper beauty then.

Most speculation about the shades of blue I've seen here is pretty much auld wifie's tales ;-) I recommend Jim MacIntosh's Magnum Opus on the subject for the most definitive explanation.

And find a comfortable bit of hard cover to read it behind whilst others 'debate' the matter...

Davy.

I enquired about the different colours on Saturday and this is the explanation I was given by one of 419's footplate crew....

St Rollox painted all their locos in the shade of 828, this is the colour I remember 419 in when I first became involved with the SRPS back in 1979. Perth, however, apparently mixed their own blue and this is the lighter shade that 419 is now painted in.

Personally, I much prefer the darker shade of 828, the lighter shade makes 419 look "cheap" and too close to "Thomas" for my liking!

I am told the paint was supplied by the Caley Society, so that was what had to be used......

Sadly that isn't the case. 'Caledonian Railway Livery by Caledonian Railway historian Jim Macintosh is very insightful to the livery debate of the blues.

• 2 weeks later...

post-31247-0-27293600-1542732775_thumb.jpg

CALEDONIAN 812 UPDATE

Several months have passed since we first announced the OO Caledonian 812 locomotive in five different variants including the iconic Caledonian Railway blue livery. During these months Bachmann's research and development team have been working hard to ensure the model is a real beauty. 

We have been in talks with Bachmann over the last few months to negotiate the price. We can now confirm that price. The premium blue versions will be priced at £199.95. This is a really complex livery to perfect and produce. The three black liveries will be priced at £179.95. The price will be added to the site in the next 24 hours. 

The models are expected to arrive in 2020. Many thanks to everyone who has pre-ordered so far, we have had a tremendous response. 

The model is expected to be in short supply when it arrives so we would recommend placing a pre-order to secure your model.

Click here to see all version available

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

hmm, just had an email about the price rise to £199 (so I clicked 'accept') but the stated price on my invoice is £229 minus my £30, so the £199 price seems to include my £30 deposit, is that correct?

WEB-XXXXX-XXXX-XXXXX
23/02/2018
  • Caledonian Railway Blue McIntosh 812 Class 0-6-0 Steam Locomotive No.828 (As Built)
2 items
£229.95
Part-shipped

Not sure why it says 2 items either as I have (I hope!) only ordered one?!

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

2 items
£229.95
Part-shipped

Not sure why it says 2 items either as I have (I hope!) only ordered one?!

cheers,

Keith

If you click on the details tab for your order, it shows item one as the deposit and item two as the model.

Mine says the same. Shouldn't the outstanding amount unpaid be 169.99?

Mine says £199.99 o/s despite the £30 deposit.

I was going to ask more or less the same question. I guess there is some work to do in the system to address previous deposits and confirmations of acceptances and such. I also note my £30 deposit was only £25 which I guess means they took my VAT off as an overseas buyer even on the deposit!!

Price is still good as far as I’m concerned for what it is. What I’m curious to see is if a DCC/sound upgrade will be available as the loco is out there to record accurate sounds from.

Can’t wait till 2020ish to have it, though it will look out of place on my 1950’s Toronto industrial layout I’m building when I run it!!

Cheers,

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

I got an email notifying me of price change and accept option which I pressed . It goes against the grain but it appears to be the only chance of getting a Caley 812 so we are kind of stuck with it and I suppose they know it!

Hi All, 

Thanks for the comments.

We have reported the issue with the pricing and will hopefully get the small bug fixed in the morning. 

I can confirm the prices are £199.95 blue and £179.95 black meaning the balance payment after deposit should be £169.95 blue and £149.95 black.

I would also like to add regarding the price that we are not increasing our profits but we are having to reflect the price given to us last week by Bachmann. In fact we have absorbed some of the increase ourselves for all customers paying deposits otherwise the price would have been well over £200 for the Caledonian livery version. So there will be a real bonus for pre-ordering with a deposit as it is inevitable that we will have to increase the price after the product is dispatched from China.

Many thanks to everyone who has placed a pre-order. 

Oliver

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All, 

Thanks for the comments.

We have reported the issue with the pricing and will hopefully get the small bug fixed in the morning. 

I can confirm the prices are £199.95 blue and £179.95 black meaning the balance payment after deposit should be £169.95 blue and £149.95 black.

I would also like to add regarding the price that we are not increasing our profits but we are having to reflect the price given to us last week by Bachmann. In fact we have absorbed some of the increase ourselves for all customers paying deposits otherwise the price would have been well over £200 for the Caledonian livery version. So there will be a real bonus for pre-ordering with a deposit as it is inevitable that we will have to increase the price after the product is dispatched from China.

Many thanks to everyone who has placed a pre-order. 

Oliver

Thanks for clarifying Oliver . Suspected that would be the case.

I still can’t cancel mine, getting the 500 error I have emailed Rails to say this and my intended outcome

Btw only cancelling it because at the price for the Blue one I cannot justify the cost against a loco that would become LMS on an LNER layout as for that autocar though.... we shall see