Tenshodo Spud Gears

I've just found a split plastic gear on a spud. The loco in question was built about 16 years ago so its an old motor bogie but its spent most of its life in a box and has very rarely run.

Are replacement gears available for these motor bogies? And if so from where?

And has anyone thought of making replacement gear sets, with lower ratios?

Hope someone out there can help!

I've just found a split plastic gear on a spud. The loco in question was built about 16 years ago so its an old motor bogie but its spent most of its life in a box and has very rarely run.

Are replacement gears available for these motor bogies? And if so from where?

And has anyone thought of making replacement gear sets, with lower ratios?

Hope someone out there can help!

I think Branchlines might be able to help if memory serves (how dodgy is that?), if not perhaps North West Short Line in the US who might do replacement gear sets. You probably wont get any different ratio as this will be restricted by the gear size.

Good luck John.

Thanks for the (very prompt!) replies.

I cannot confirm they match, but have a word with Nigel Lawton models, on the net, he markets these small gears, and he had Tenshodo types till recently..

http://www.nigellawt...yPalMotors.html

The page says out of stock at present.

Stephen.

Getting in touch with Nigel Lawton could be dangerously expensive, a 009 Simplex is on my wish list...

I cannot confirm they match, but have a word with Nigel Lawton models, on the net, he markets these small gears, and he had Tenshodo types till recently..

http://www.nigellawt...yPalMotors.html

The page says out of stock at present.

Stephen.

The gears just below the 'Out Of Stock' Tenshodo gears are ones that I supply to Nigel, and are the same as I use in my BullAnt range. If you change both the worm and the worm gear for these ones, they will fit correctly in terms of the motor to axle spacing, however, because the worm gear is 1 tooth larger, it will require a small amount to be removed from the bottom housing of the SPUD.

These gears have a 15:1 ratio, as against the 14:1 ratio of the SPUD gears, so the SPUD will run a little slower, which is not a bad thing.

DO NOT mix the gears however, or you will end up with gears that either bind of wear out in no time. You must fit both a replacement worm and worm gear from the same set.

• 1 year later...

Archived