One can perhaps hope that any original components that need to be replaced are retained rather than scrapped, and possibly repaired. I suppose it depends what condition the boiler is actually in: if it was overhauled before going on museum display then is there a chance of the boiler being usable?

• RMweb Gold

Well, if you don’t set targets, then you never know how well you are doing. There is nothing in this particular task that cannot be expedited with a large injection of cash!

It ties with the SECR D class for most handsome engine ever built, in my book. It varies on the day as to how I feel about the aesthetics of inside versus outside cylinders.

• Like 1

I'll go with that... shame no Brighton 4-4-0's survived, but at least we have a B1 and an awful lot of terriers.

The B1, T3 and D in steam together at a gala... on the Bluebell... with the E4, B4, P's, H, O1, C, A1, A1x, H2 and Radial... now there's a sight I will never see but can dream of...

Back to reality it appears the T3 is due to be stripped down next month to be assessed with a view to overhaul.

Thinking about the OP and preserved locos not in pre-grouping livery, how about the HR Jones goods 4-6-0? In that strange yellow livery rather than HR green. Did it ever carry yellow livery in service? I know about Stroudley's "improved engine green" but wasn't that more of a Brighton paint scheme than Highland?

There is also the LNWR George V new build project. However, it doesn't seem to be making much headway, sadly.

Perhaps that is because there are so few other preserved LNWR locos, so the LNWR doesn't really feature in today's preserved scene and the project doesn't get much attention. Disappointing for what was the largest pre-grouping railway company.

I'll go with that... shame no Brighton 4-4-0's survived, but at least we have a B1 and an awful lot of terriers.

The B1, T3 and D in steam together at a gala... on the Bluebell... with the E4, B4, P's, H, O1, C, A1, A1x, H2 and Radial... now there's a sight I will never see but can dream of...

Back to reality it appears the T3 is due to be stripped down next month to be assessed with a view to overhaul.

This is why we have model railways, rule 1 applies, run all those engines together and enjoy doing it.

• Like 1

In addition, when it initially entered service, it carried GNR livery. 

Are you sure of that? I have always been under the impression that 1472 was outshopped fresh in LNER apple green and have never seen any evidence to suggest otherwise? (I would love to be proven wrong! But pretty certain only 1470 and 1471 carried GNR livery).

Cheers

James

The B1, T3 and D in steam together at a gala... on the Bluebell... with the E4, B4, P's, H, O1, C, A1, A1x, H2 and Radial... now there's a sight I will never see but can dream of.

Don't forget that there is an E1 0-6-0 tank, formerly Burgundy, currently on the Isle of Wight, masquerading as No 2 Yarmouth.
  • Like 1

There is also the LNWR George V new build project. However, it doesn't seem to be making much headway, sadly.

The latest news on 2013 Prince George is that the chimney arrived in late February (from the group's Facebook).

If we're including newbuilds in the thread, there's also the GCR 567 project which is making good progress- much of the motion and valvegear has been sourced and the frames are currently being machined, currently it is believed she could be completed between 2022 and 2024.  https://www.gcr567loco.co.uk/