Heljan 47 problems

russ p

• RMweb Gold

I've just brought my two Heljan 47s out of hibernation I've cleaned wheels and lightly lubricated them and fitted or rather tried to fit them with dcc they just don't want to run.

Very hesitant

I tried to fit a Hornby TTS decoder to no avail

One now is stuttering about with a gaugemaster chip in

Any suggestions

Cheers

Russ

I've just brought my two Heljan 47s out of hibernation I've cleaned wheels and lightly lubricated them and fitted or rather tried to fit them with dcc they just don't want to run.

Very hesitant

Any suggestions

Cheers

Russ

How do they run on normal DC ?  best to get get them well run in on DC first, before fitting any decoder.  With the loco on it's back in a cradle, using jumper leads check all 8 wheels are getting  power, if not adjust/clean the pick up strips.

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 1

Very hesitant

Any suggestions

Cheers

Russ

Hi Russ.

I would run them on DC first just to make sure its not a loco problem rather than a decoder problem.

Tony.

• RMweb Gold

Had a breakthrough both are now running reasonable after popping the motors out and leaving them running

The TTS would only work with one of them but got warm so I removed it is that normal

2nd what Nick said. I remember when they were first bought out there being lots of discussion regarding the high amps the motor pulls - Lenz Gold was the decoder of choice - mine are fitted thus and work beautifully.  If its got the older wheels they need to be kept spotless - you may need to check the wheel backs where the pick-ups connect and clean those as well.

Hope it helps.

M

• Like 1

Just another thought have you checked the cast mazac chassis that it is straight and true?

One of mine suffered with the usual Heljan 47 rot and the first sign was the fuel tanks bottomed out on the rail head and caused poor running. Before spending money on new chips, it might be worth a quick check along the length of the body for any bellying in the chassis.

Do the 15s draw high current too?

Much less. Comparable to other RTR can motors. (Small cylindrical three pole unit.) Appears to be the same motor in 15/16/17, Garratt and O2 steamers; and I guess some of their other smaller units may have this motor too (Railbus, shunters) but none of these have come my way to be inspected.

If the drive train is very draggy this motor is likely to expire, a problem that definitely afflicted the 17 and may have been behind a proportion of the Garratt failures. Very unlike their 'big motor' which appears to be unburstable...

The cups that are on the geartower which you plug the drive shafts into can and often do split which does cause problems with performance. I usually glue the cup in the metal bit of the gear tower with superglue and this usually cures this. I do have a very poor big motor from a 47 which I am wondering if I could transfer the flywheels off it onto another motor and try it out. Has anyone else done anything similar.? Just a thought really as I do have a 47 that has blown a couple of chips

Hi,

My Heljan 47 draws 0.84 Amps continuous at 12 volts so a Hornby TTS with a maximum continuous current of 0.5 Amps might not be suitable.

Also some of my Heljan loco wheels have been cleaned but have intermittent pickup.

Heljan (via Howes) sell replacement wheelsets to cure such a problem.

Might be worth checking if the pick ups are still pressing strongly on the backs of the wheels.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Both seem to be running OK at present but replacement wheelsets maybe on the cards if they keep getting dirty

One is running a gaugemaster decoder but I need something else for the other one

• 4 weeks later...

As stated by many others Hornby decoders are no good for the Heljan 47's due to the high current draw that the motors need. They like to go up in smoke in no time. Bachmann 3 function decoders are what I have used in them with absolutely no problems but its all down to preference and budgets.

• 8 months later...