traction engine and other over-type locomotives

Off on a tangent here, but I think there is possibly confusion between a SG tramway at Meldreth that was used post-1900 by brick and cement makers, which is what some of the links on the village history website talk about, and a coprolite tramway of earlier date, and possibly different gauge.

Whether it was the same tramway re-purposed, a new tramway on the same route, or a completely different tramway, I’m not sure.

Edited by Nearholmer

i was looking for plans of traction engines to make up my own traction loco when i came across this "Minnie" drawn by Burrell4040 (i was thinking of asking his permission to use it but he hasnt logged in since Oct 2018 so doubt i'll get a reply)

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123445-burrell4040s-road-steam-modelling-projects/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_06_2017/post-28390-0-22275300-1496682558.jpg

1558916404_tractionenginelocominniermwebburrell4040.thumb.jpg.2c7d2c9720fdd0c9b3ca22f57e420f11.jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting posts. I was thinking about making one in oo gauge. I was thinking about 3D printing the body and then powering it from a wagon as seen earlier in the topic. Has anyone got any pictures of one made in oo gauge? 

cheers Tom. 

• 1 month later...

Posted on facebook be Killian "small loco works" Keane. all it says is Howard 1895.

the wierdest thing is not the mismatched wheels but the mid-height flywheel, where is the cylinder/s and the motion. the long bulky rear over hand suggests to me that it is in there, i think i can see the end of a cylnder on the far side of the rear, and that the reversing lever is so far back. i think it is 1 cylinder in the right of the bunker with the coal on the left and water tank below. Is this just me or does it look like there is a chain drive to the front axle

741235665_howard1895.png.4dcb39aecd1cc5cb9168872409e9bbab.png

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 7

Very interesting, was unaware of a Howard conversion before as I don't think it's covered in Ian K Hutchinson's book. There are a couple of preserved Howards, I've only seen the ploughing engine but it is as Pete & Sir Douglas surmise. A real rarity and a lovely thing to see, cheers

There were a couple of firms which converted steam lorries into these locomotives. There was an order from the Czech Army for Skoda Sentinels to be equiped with railway wheels.  It was the success of these together with the other conversions that prompted the development of the Sentinel Locomotives.  Hauler Models

make a model of these wagons.

http://www.hauler.cz/e-shop/1-87-(h0)-construction-kits-4/sentinel-railway-1078

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...
On 26/07/2020 at 02:47, sir douglas said:

i was looking for plans of traction engines to make up my own traction loco when i came across this "Minnie" drawn by Burrell4040 (i was thinking of asking his permission to use it but he hasnt logged in since Oct 2018 so doubt i'll get a reply)

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123445-burrell4040s-road-steam-modelling-projects/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_06_2017/post-28390-0-22275300-1496682558.jpg 198.02 kB · 0 downloads

Minnie.jpg

He's active on Traction Talk :)

I know dad considered taking one of the Minnie's we have and converting it to rail.  The issue is one of size- a 6 sq inch grate makes for a small railway engine in 5".  He has used a 2" wagon boiler for Monsterous, his vertical.  Currently, it has a 2" Clayton wagon boiler on it, having previously had a 5" diameter stainless (*) boiler on it, providing steam to a Stuart Twin Launch engine.  (7/8x1", 2 cylinder)

14753440078_10d103a335_z.jpgPhotos from TO by Peach James, on Flickr

Shows it with the Clayton boiler, a steam-steam feed heater & my then 6 year old riding.

(*) the stainless boiler was made from some alloy that was stupid expensive, and was an offcut from making a flume for pulp research at the UofT.  Silver soldered in copper tubes, which kept on developing leaks at the hot end, as they weren't submerged...it also tended to afterburn.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is my adaptation of an overtype locomotive based on a Foden lorry power plant.  The original Trainz digital model was by Steve Flanders made back in 2004 and I've been doing some upgrading work on it so it will run in the latest version of the Trainz simulator.

7MK1Qik.jpg

And it is highly likely that this was the prototype locomotive that inspired Steve Flander's digital model.

q4Okbov.jpg

4WNTGo2.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2021 at 21:19, sir douglas said:

this was posted in an industrial modelling FB group about 2 weeks back, the poster rebuilt it from a bag of bits, originally built by a friend who passed away

Hornby Peckett for scale

249324000_10161256391087388_7413654587030695320_n.jpg.3add1b6d112a693ceb3ecb2ce0aae3ac.jpg

someones sneaked something off our group ;) lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...