traction engine and other over-type locomotives

thanks for that, ive now been into that part 1 on graces guide and saved it

Just done the same. Interesting comparison of articles, one about old steam engines, and one about the latest computers of the time!

Would really like to do one of thes, or maybe the Foden conversion as a 3D print. Is the Foden basically the same as the road version? If so I could use one of the kits available

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's possible to adapt a road vehicle kit. In my case a Fleetline 2mm casting. I have tried to motorise it and managed to have the driving wheels rotating but there was very little traction, so resorted to the powered van.  I really need to crack on and finish it.  Not sure whether to present it in pristine condition like Blue Circle or model it in industrial service.

My copy of the book in the photo cost me 50p at an LT Museum open day!

post-7249-0-21505900-1519921399_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-85716400-1519921421_thumb.jpg

I've seen a very nice 5" gauge live steam A&P inspired loco.

Mark

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Love that blue Mamod powered one with the Rocket wheels.

Many years ago when I still had good eyesight and steady hands I had a go at making a Clayton & Shuttleworth loco like the one in the Engineer article.  I was working in finescale 'S' so that gave me a little more room to play with.  Unfortunately it never got finished due to too much 'life' happening all at once and I think the bits are still rattling around in a box somewhere.

5r0h2Er.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

There is a kit for Blue Circle in both 4mm and 2mm scales if anyone is patient enough to figure out how to motorise it

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9GSFRGPJJ/oo-aveling-porter-quot-blue-circle-quot-loco-body?optionId=64174728

Just had a look on 3D spin, motorization would be a bit easier if it did not have a solid base.

I find these machines fascinating and have seen both Sirapite and Sydenham in the flesh (or iron?).  However I had no idea that traction engine locos had been built by companies other than Aveling and Porter.  The Fowler engines in this thread intrigue me; does anybody know how many they built and whether any of them had cabs like so many of the Aveling and Porters? 

I am contemplating marrying together the boiler and mechanism of a Keil Kraft Fowler ploughing engine with the frames and wheels of an Airfix Pug and then maybe putting the hybrid in a cake box.  I could call it a Fowler based freelance; I have failed to find any images of Fowler locos other than the 3 that Sir Douglas has already posted on this thread and would be grateful if anybody could point me towards any more so I could possibly produce something closer to prototype.

If all else fails I could add a simple canopy as on the 'works shunter'.  Also, should I use the Fowler's traction engine chimney or the 'locomotive' one from the Pug? post-22897-0-98209000-1521123247_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

there are some lovely photos in the industrial Archive mentioned, issue 87 that has some more Fowlers as well as other makers and rebuilds of road engines on wagon chassis', i myself plan building the 1871 Fowler as shown one day

http://lightmoor.co.uk/books/archive-issue-87/ARCH87

the article has also lead me to be able to identify some of the photos in post #1

the first 3 are A&P No 807 of 1872 for the Wotton tramway

"John Barleycorn" is A&P 6369 of 1907

"excelsior" is A&P 1607 of 1880

"Vincent" is "Sir Vincent" 8800 of 1917, identified from the RCTS website

the first Fowler is 7464 for london County Council

the works shunter is Fowler 3409 of 1878 "lion"

Bearpark colliery is 1 of 2 for Bearpark, either Fowler 2820 or 2821

Tyhterington "ironduke" is Fowler 7958 of 1898, which was of a fowler design principle that could be convertable between rail and road, the article says that this one was hardly ever on the rail, i wonder what happened to the original front wheel, as it should be in the similar appearance as No 7464 above

• Like 1

there are some lovely photos in the industrial Archive mentioned, issue 87 that has some more Fowlers as well as other makers and rebuilds of road engines on wagon chassis', i myself plan building the 1871 Fowler as shown one day

http://lightmoor.co.uk/books/archive-issue-87/ARCH87

the article has also lead me to be able to identify some of the photos in post #1

the first 3 are A&P No 807 of 1872 for the Wotton tramway

"John Barleycorn" is A&P 6369 of 1907

"excelsior" is A&P 1607 of 1880

"Vincent" is "Sir Vincent" 8800 of 1917, identified from the RCTS website

the first Fowler is 7464 for london County Council

the works shunter is Fowler 3409 of 1878 "lion"

Bearpark colliery is 1 of 2 for Bearpark, either Fowler 2820 or 2821

Tyhterington "ironduke" is Fowler 7958 of 1898, which was of a fowler design principle that could be convertable between rail and road, the article says that this one was hardly ever on the rail, i wonder what happened to the original front wheel, as it should be in the similar appearance as No 7464 above

Thank you.  I've just ordered a copy

• 3 weeks later...

I find these machines fascinating and have seen both Sirapite and Sydenham in the flesh (or iron?).  However I had no idea that traction engine locos had been built by companies other than Aveling and Porter.  The Fowler engines in this thread intrigue me; does anybody know how many they built and whether any of them had cabs like so many of the Aveling and Porters? 

I am contemplating marrying together the boiler and mechanism of a Keil Kraft Fowler ploughing engine with the frames and wheels of an Airfix Pug and then maybe putting the hybrid in a cake box.  I could call it a Fowler based freelance; I have failed to find any images of Fowler locos other than the 3 that Sir Douglas has already posted on this thread and would be grateful if anybody could point me towards any more so I could possibly produce something closer to prototype.

If all else fails I could add a simple canopy as on the 'works shunter'.  Also, should I use the Fowler's traction engine chimney or the 'locomotive' one from the Pug? attachicon.gifIMG_2270.JPG

Compromises forced by my choice of chassis and the usable parts from the plastic kit have evolved into a freelance machine incorporating features from both the Fowler and the Aveling & Porter locos.  She's no beauty but I do think she captures the character of these extraordinary machines reasonably well.

post-22897-0-95630100-1522860383_thumb.jpg 

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

attachicon.gifYak.jpg

A really sweet little neverwozzer!

In fact it is a model produced by Mr Binnie

He only built one before he died

The prototype and last built item was supplied to a 16mm Association Member.

Mr Binnie was also building a batch but only got to make the gear train and the oscillating motor components.

• 2 years later...

I’ve always drawn a mental distinction between ‘traction engine locomotives’ and ‘over-type locomotives’, on a ‘you know one when you see it’ basis.

Anyway ........

If you want an over-type for your garden railway, Regner’s ‘Vincent’ has a strong reputation https://www.gardenrailways.co.uk/regner-vincent-25410.html

Beamish's Samson and the schwarztkopff (previous page) fits this, its an over type loco with no connection to traction or portable engines rather than a loco designed and built by traction engine builders like A&P or Fowler

maybe the thread should be "Compilation of overtype locomotives"

This one, which I would guess is c3ft gauge, has long intrigued me. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaddon,_Cambridgeshire#/media/File%3ACoprolite_train_between_Meldreth_and_Whaddon_Station_circa_1880_(Cambridge_Collection).jpg

The wagons I think might be from Howard of Bedford, and I'm tempted to attribute the loco to them too, but with no real evidence, although it does look sufficiently like one of their threshing engines to make the suggestion plausible.

Whoever built it, I'm certain its ancestry is threshing, rather than traction, engine.

Anyone else have any clues?

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

that came up last year on facebook but i completelly forgot about it, nothing is said for certain what this is except it was something by a local agricultural machinery builder

comments on the post gives these links

General info of the railway

http://www.meldrethhistory.org.uk/page/page_id__516.aspx?fbclid=IwAR3mGEYEFq6Rp-mCIbnJQsHaCH2yPhOwZbHnXLxOMsyQngrtvcMvj4ROIaw

surviving wagon

https://ramsey-and-district.ccan.co.uk/content/catalogue_item/restored-coprolite-wagon-used-to-transport-coprolite-from-the-diggings-to-the-railhead-wharves?fbclid=IwAR25HLLHW341bU3QbFVzw-VA37PFgRQtxAFQMhbFblqVvXmEu8q2EGi9dLU

• Informative/Useful 1

Ramsey Rural Museum - definitely one for a passing visit if/when the plague passes.

Here is a Howard portable engine, in this case driving a ploughing winch.

94D44A67-78D6-43D7-BF05-27B9E2DF6AE1.jpeg.a15e77e0569dfac47de94c0e414cd77a.jpeg

Of course, engines from other makers were very similar, so maybe Clayton & Shuttleworth, and Ruston are local enough, but I favour Howard because they provided a fair range of “field railway” kit. Much later they built internal combustion locos, of course.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1