Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

So it would be more or less correct for OO rather than HO scale?  :jester:

Yes, but that is the easy bit, I would guess that 3D  filament or resin printing could produce the racking, though as I have never attempted to do this, I would not offer you any guarantees. :unknw_mini:

Ron 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sem34090 said:

If it's any help my avatar is an SECR F1 4-4-0 in SR Livery, so any SECR 4-4-0 would fit the bill. Failing that, put me down for something London Transport. ;)

There are 2 restrictions:

1. It must fit into a 1956 or 57 scenario. (I have locos with both "cycling lion" & "ferret & dartboard" crests, so it cannot be earlier than 1956 &, I guess, not much later.)

2. It must be on DLS.

The closest thing I can find is the SR L1, which is not exactly SECR, but almost.

Harry Wainwright had built two useful and attractive 4-4-0 classes for the South Eastern and Chatham Railway between 1902 and 1908; the D class and the E class, and had completed designs for a larger L class at the time of his retirement at the end of 1913. However, by 1918 they were beginning to struggle with the heaviest express trains. Wainwright's successor, Richard Maunsell, therefore rebuilt several examples of the D and E classes immediately before the grouping of the SECR with other railways to form the Southern Railway in 1923.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_L1_class

(I'm pretty sure, you knew that; but I didn't.)

Or maybe the N class - genuine SECR, but a mogul, not a 4-4-0...

capture_20201008_175529_019.jpg.5b61dea8c7c2ea1c40a3aaf4afd1c442.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

They'll be telling us next that Rocket isn't Rocket!

Rocket is what the Science Museum were given by Stephensons, what was what they managed to sort out from what Thompsons gave them, which was what they made of it after buying it and turning it into a coal-hauler. And it's still not certain if it's cylinders were lowered to the same position seen on the Northumbrian before or after Thomsons bought it. Cut-n-shut isn't anything unique to the car trade, they were up to it way back then...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, AdamsRadial said:

Rocket is what the Science Museum were given by Stephensons, what was what they managed to sort out from what Thompsons gave them, which was what they made of it after buying it and turning it into a coal-hauler. And it's still not certain if it's cylinders were lowered to the same position seen on the Northumbrian before or after Thomsons bought it. Cut-n-shut isn't anything unique to the car trade, they were up to it way back then...

Indeed that was the story I had in mind - never take my posts at face value!

1 hour ago, AdamsRadial said:

.... Cut-n-shut isn't anything unique to the car trade, they were up to it way back then...

You mean like this?

678053316_WCJSSleepingComposite.jpg.9020353a013e5d2a8aa999ebf01c4d6c.jpg

and no, that hasn't been photoshoped!

Jim

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

The Rother Valley Railway did something similar with their Hurst Nelson 4-wheelers, they joined them together in pairs on a new underframe and created bogie carriages. So there's plenty of precedence for what Annie's doing to the locomotives. It's not so different from getting a whitemetal body kit and stuffing it over a Triang Lord of the Isles chassis, come to think of it.

Edited by AdamsRadial
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, AdamsRadial said:

So there's plenty of precedence for what Annie's doing to the locomotives. It's not so different from getting a whitemetal body kit and stuffing in over a Triang Lord of the Isles chassis, come to think of it.

Ahem!  Stuff nothing.  I positioned the new attachment points for those wheelsets to three decimal places.  :triniti:

I might do strange and unusual things with my locomotives, but they are done with care and precision.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AdamsRadial said:

Actually, I was alluding to some of my dirty tricks :)

Actually I was indulging in mock outrage which is an essential practical requirement for my Grumpy Old Lady Practicing Certificate.  :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Annie said:

Actually I was indulging in mock outrage which is an essential practical requirement for my Grumpy Old Lady Practicing Certificate.  :D

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Waldorf & Statler Remote Academy, where I made a master in structural conservatism & a bachelor in senile obstinacy. :jester:

Edited by Jake The Rat
deleted some debris from a former posting
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Annie said:

Is your real name Victoria Meldrew by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLNrLI3OBwg

Jim  (Youtube won't allow embedding of that video)

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Those who study the state of grumpiness to higher levels may attain a state of 'no-grump' where one's inner potential to become grumpy it so profoundly developed that one's mere presence is sufficient to induce fear and respect in others without needing to speak a single word or commit to any course of action. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Jake The Rat said:

In other words, being the impersonation of grumpiness without having to act grumpily? That's a long way to go for me, but I'm working on it... :D

'Embodiment' grasshopper, mere impersonation won't do at all and will fall short of the mark.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Annie said:

Have you received your statutory stout walking stick for belabouring obstinate youngsters yet?

(Very helpful for maintaining a 2 metre social distancing zone)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

Have you received your statutory stout walking stick for belabouring obstinate youngsters yet?

(Very helpful for maintaining a 2 metre social distancing zone)

I am the fortunate owner of a genuine vintage Cooper's handcrafted walking stick Mr Hroth.  Very stoutly made and guaranteed to be perfect for heavy duty belabouring.   With a two metre's reach when held with a determined grip it is excellent for reminding others of the need to maintain social distancing.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

13 minutes ago, Annie said:

'Embodiment' grasshopper, mere impersonation won't do at all and will fall short of the mark.

There you can see, that English is not my native language. :pardon: 'Embodiment' is what I meant.

Also, I'm a bit confused about the grasshopper; what does it mean in this context? :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Jake The Rat said:

Also, I'm a bit confused about the grasshopper; what does it mean in this context? :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

'In the 70s television series, 'Kung Fu'. Grasshopper was a nickname given to a young Shaolin monk (Kwai Chang Caine played by the late David Carradine ) tutored by an older, wiser monk, Master Po .'

Now I'm really showing my age by referring to a 1970s television series.  In effect the meaning is, “I am the master and you are the student.”  Possibly something only people of my generation would remember and understand.

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 08/10/2020 at 19:17, Caley Jim said:

You mean like this?

678053316_WCJSSleepingComposite.jpg.9020353a013e5d2a8aa999ebf01c4d6c.jpg

and no, that hasn't been photoshoped!

Jim

IIRC, it was originally built like that, not a cut and shut, It is one carriage I have always  fancied modelling. Trevor Charlton may have done some etched zing sides for it, but I am not sure.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1