Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Careful what you wish for ...

1331771003_DSCN0652-Copy.JPG.08e1da767e8f9a60fe2bb2853ed1b259.JPG

I see an Edison(?) cylinder machine and is that a Harmonium in the right corner? Nice, I am on my way over! :biggrin_mini: Does the boater really fit you, BTW?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DonB said:

Daft question

Can you change the "wall paper " in your virtual railway room ?

Yes please. That wallpaper looks disturbingly like the paper my parents-in-law have in their sitting room. When my father-in-law put it up 25 years ago, my sister-in-law said it made the room look like a French tart's boudoir - and she has pseudo-baroque cherubs in the sky in an oval cartouche in her, admittedly rather grand, living room.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes please. That wallpaper looks disturbingly like the paper my parents-in-law have in their sitting room. When my father-in-law put it up 25 years ago, my sister-in-law said it made the room look like a French tart's boudoir - and she has pseudo-baroque cherubs in the sky in an oval cartouche in her, admittedly rather grand, living room.

DON'T Google image-search "boudoir"!

It's not what you expect and there is no wallpaper to be seen! 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Annie, would you mind if I partially copied your engine shed track plan for my coarse scale garden railway? By the way, your Precursor is looking better than some Bing ones I’ve seen! 

Be my guest.

Hp4EtKI.jpg

I certainly wouldn't say no if someone gave me a Bing Precursor tank engine, - or a 'four wheels coupled tank engine' as the LNWR used to call them.

f28p8pW.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm not sure if I can do pseudo-baroque cherubs, but I do have a nice poisonous green Victorian wallpaper that's very close to needing a practical test with making sure it all fits together.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Annie said:

I'm not sure if I can do pseudo-baroque cherubs, but I do have a nice poisonous green Victorian wallpaper that's very close to needing a practical test with making sure it all fits together.

I trust you will warn visitors not to lick the walls :jester:

Nick B

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MikeOxon said:

That room is crying out for an oval of track and a tinplate train on the carpet.  Every other surface is covered so why not the floor?

But it would have to be Ives or Dorfan! Or the UK equivalent. :good_mini:

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Jake The Rat said:

I'm not sure this is a steam engine. :scratchhead: 'Ariel' is the name of a laundry detergent, so I suspect it's an early laundromat. :jester:

In this context 'Ariel' is the name of an archangel and during the Victorian era was a name commonly given to ships and steam locomotives.  For the name to be used for a species of laundry detergent only goes to prove how low modern civilisation has fallen.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Jake The Rat said:

I know, but SCNR... :pardon::D

True enough, but I felt like I needed some grumpy old lady practice.  ;)

My next project.  A clockwork version of the Precursor tank engine.  I have other 'clockwork' engines that I've put together; - the main changes are a faux clockwork keyhole, no smoke or steam files and a sound file based around the sound of quietly meshing gears.  I'm presently on version 3 of the sound file and they are horrible to create since Audacity has far more tricky tricks in its box than I actually need and I get confused.

UbyQEx2.jpg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Annie said:

Radium and arsenic greens,  such pretty colours.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, MikeOxon said:

Looks nice but I feel a clockwork model would have much chunkier wheels with rather large flanges.

I agree Mike, but I would have to get someone to make them specially for me.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

How often do you need to wind it up?

Jim

Well you don't at the moment Jim  :blush:

I am investigating a way of doing that though, - or at least a way of being able to select some form of button/trigger/actuator that will play a winding up clockwork sound.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Adam88 said:

I didn't think there were any clockwork locos in the UK until Stanier noticed the keyhole in one of Bulleid's Q1s.

The LMS owned a lot of clockwork 'Jinties'.

LMS_0-6-0T_3F_locomotive,_16564_(CJ_Alle

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Annie said:

The LMS owned a lot of clockwork 'Jinties'.

Who, exactly, does @Annie think she's winding up?

15 hours ago, Annie said:

In this context 'Ariel' is the name of an archangel and during the Victorian era was a name commonly given to ships and steam locomotives.  For the name to be used for a species of laundry detergent only goes to prove how low modern civilisation has fallen.

Point of information: they were named for the aery spirit in The Tempest.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1