Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium

One of the members of the creator group I belong to kindly made me a key.  It's fully animated, but the downside of that is that it has to stay fixed in place since it's attached to some mysterious magical invisible gubbins that makes it work.

Tlirz6H.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Funny 2

23 minutes ago, Annie said:

One of the members of the creator group I belong to kindly made me a key.  It's fully animated, but the downside of that is that it has to stay fixed in place since it's attached to some mysterious magical invisible gubbins that makes it work.

Tlirz6H.jpg

The LNWR equivalent of Boadicea's chariot ......... :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

The LNWR equivalent of Boadicea's chariot ......... :biggrin_mini2:

Yes very much so Malcolm.  Not exactly the kind of engine to run on a scenic layout with anything close to the tracks.  I've still got the original version of the clockwork Precursor tank engine and that will be definitely staying on the roster.

The offer to make the animated key was perhaps more about seeing if it was possible to do such a thing rather than anything practical and I have to admit I was curious about it too.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

I was about to ask what happened when it got to that signal! :unsure:

Jim 

Fortunately there wasn't the sound of splintering wood Jim.  In Trainz most scenic and trackside objects don't have what's called collision surfaces so things can just ghost through one another.  I am going to ask if I can have the key as a scenic object though so they can be place here and there about the layout.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Annie said:

I am going to ask if I can have the key as a scenic object though so they can be place here and there about the layout.

I'm going to have to dig out some notes from yonks back but I think I can see a way to make the key invisible during operation but visible when the engine is at a winding-spot. It's a trick with changing textures: when the engine is running the key is textured fully-alpha, but when it's alongside a designated winding spot the texture changes to make the key visible.

I suppose the ideal is that you place keys around the layout, they act as triggers, when a loco stops alongside them the scenic key goes alpha and the loco key goes visible.

You could actually ask on the N3V forums about this, of course, and probably get a more current response.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Book Corner:

5VY46xt.jpg

This delightful book is a facsimile reprint of the first twelve issues of Model Railway News from 1925.  Published in 1977 my second hand copy still has £7.00 penciled on the flyleaf and it looks like it has never been handled or read.  Either that or it belonged to one of those white cotton glove wearing archivist folk who always place rare books on soft cushions to prevent damage.  Compared to other second hand book purchases I've made recently it wasn't that expensive either.

For me a book like this is a delight with my interest in coarse scale 'O' gauge and it will sit very nicely alongside my 1950 copy of the 'Model Railway Encyclopedia'.  I used to have one of Henry Greenly's books as well, but that got lost when too much life happened all at once when my disaster of a marriage finally crashed and burned (sigh).  However I have recently found a replacement copy so no doubt I'll have a 'Book Corner' post about that one too.

The really nice thing about this facsimile reprint (for me at least) is that the pages aren't glossy.  Narcolepsy has messed up my eyesight and anything printed on glossy paper is near impossible for me to read.  The other thing I love is that this is a book from the time when enthusiasts made things themselves from raw materials.  All the drawings and plans are a delight, -the question of finescale or not wasn't a concern as the object was to make a model that would serve the purpose and one's imagination filled in the details.  

I have been continuing to burrow at a slow and steady pace into the rubbish mountain in my room and once it is gone I will be building my own back to 1925 model railway.

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Victorian poisonous green is out and Victorian 'Cambridge' blue stripe is in.  A new set of wallpapered wall sections for Trainz that's now been uploaded to the DLS.  I have other patterns i want to do, but with six different wall section variations to do to make a set I only do them one at a time or else I get horribly confused and make mistakes.

VUXC02y.jpg

I'm enjoying my new book, but I can only read it for a short time before my brain disconnects the reading part of itself from my eyes and turns everything on the page into gobbledygook.  This is a commonplace thing with narcolepsy and it's really annoying since I used to be a keen reader and loved books because they have the best moving pictures..

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice smart wallpaper, Annie, better than the other. When I was ten, I went spud bashing for a week, and bought my first book on the proceeds, although I don’t think my back has ever recovered. (It’s the 1946 edition, I think it must have appeared before the war originally)

CA1B17ED-5F99-43FA-A20E-04E513F7D792.jpeg.e69ea6f32f74060175753ceb912707af.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Annie said:

Victorian poisonous green is out and Victorian 'Cambridge' blue stripe is in.  A new set of wallpapered wall sections for Trainz that's now been uploaded to the DLS.  I have other patterns i want to do, but with six different wall section variations to do to make a set I only do them one at a time or else I get horribly confused and make mistakes.

VUXC02y.jpg

I'm enjoying my new book, but I can only read it for a short time before my brain disconnects the reading part of itself from my eyes and turns everything on the page into gobbledygook.  This is a commonplace thing with narcolepsy and it's really annoying since I used to be a keen reader and loved books because they have the best moving pictures..

The new blue wallpaper should prove to be safer to live with, though the following blue pigments are considered to be moderately toxic :- Cerulean, Cobalt and Prussian.

So it would be, still best to not lick the walls then.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

Nice smart wallpaper, Annie, better than the other. When I was ten, I went spud bashing for a week, and bought my first book on the proceeds, although I don’t think my back has ever recovered. (It’s the 1946 edition, I think it must have appeared before the war originally)

CA1B17ED-5F99-43FA-A20E-04E513F7D792.jpeg.e69ea6f32f74060175753ceb912707af.jpeg

Yes I like that wallpaper too Mr Northroader.  One of the  purposes of my virtual railway room is testing scenic items so the wallpaper will change every time I reskin a wall set with the latest texture.  The green one wasn't a particular favourite and it more than likely won't be seen again.

Now that does look like a book that I should add to my library.  Surprisingly I haven't seen that particular book before so thank you very much for showing me your copy.  Seems to still be readily available on the second hand market so I must investigate further when I next get paid.

I never dug potatoes to earn money when i was young, but I did bag up potatoes for the local grocer when I was saving for my first bicycle.  Green and white it was badged 'The Perfect', - which I now know was a Raleigh Cycles re-badge, - but to my eyes it really was perfect.

1 hour ago, rocor said:

The new blue wallpaper should prove to be safer to live with, though the following blue pigments are considered to be moderately toxic :- Cerulean, Cobalt and Prussian.

So it would be, still best to not lick the walls then.

Thanks very much for the warning.  It's surprising just how many poisonous and dangerous things the Victorians surrounded themselves with.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, rocor said:

Especially Prussia is extremely toxic, as history of the 18th & 19th century teaches. :diablo_mini::D

Problems with my Euston-to-Liverpool layout. My AI drivers finally do what I want them to, but they take an intolerable amount of time.

The scheme is basically as follows:

On platforms 1 I operate with 3 Claughtons ('Sir Gilbert Claughton', 'Duke of Connaught' & 'Sir Charles Crust' - I will call the drivers Gilbert, Duke & Charlie).

- Gilbert hauls the train to Euston platform 1.

- Duke is waiting at the loco shed & proceeds to the front of the platform as soon as the train stops.

- Passengers get out & in.

- Gilbert uncouples & proceeds a few meters to the end of the track.

- Duke couples to the train (which has, of course, break brake cars at both ends), hauls it out of the station & is on his way to Crewe & then to Liverpool.

- Gilbert drives to the turntable, turns around (I found out how to do this, it involves a special rule) & hides in the loco shed.

- Meanwhile, on platform 3 Annie's beautiful new version of knucklesnvector's Precursor Tank hauls a train into the station, executes a runaround via platform 4 & leaves towards Crewe.

This is all tested & works in principle, & if Gilbert & Duke can do this at Euston, so can Duke & Charlie at Liverpool & then Charlie & Gilbert at Euston & so on & so forth, thereby running a continuos service between the termini; & if 3 Claughtons can do this on platforms 1, so can 3 'Alfred the Great' class locos on platforms 2.

BUT all coupling & uncoupling manoeuvers cause the game to freeze for a minute or longer, with the Claughtons as well as with the precursor Tank. :O Time stops, a small circle appears, & if I click again, the screen turns light grey. :shout_mini: After about a minute the game continues, but sometimes it remains frozen for good. This happens only on the 'Euston to Liverpool' layout, not on 'Exley Castle' & not on a new very small layout I built over the last 3 nights. (I'll write about that later.)

Right now I'm clueless. :unknw_mini::wacko:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Jake The Rat said:

BUT all coupling & uncoupling maneuvers cause the game to freeze for a minute or longer, with the Claughtons as well as with the precursor Tank. :O Time stops, a small circle appears, & if I click again, the screen turns light grey. :shout_mini: After about a minute the game continues, but sometimes it remains frozen for good.

I have noticed that some of the LNWR engines I've been using lately tend to freeze for a moment when uncoupling.  The common factor seems to be that they all have AJS scripts controlling uncoupling.  Older engines using Blue Star scripts or no scripts at all seem to be fine.

• Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Annie said:

I have noticed that some of the LNWR engines I've been using lately tend to freeze for a moment when uncoupling.  The common factor seems to be that they all have AJS scripts controlling uncoupling.  Older engines using Blue Star scripts or no scripts at all seem to be fine.

This was extremely helpful. :good: The solution to my problem couldn't be simpler, but without your hint I don't think I would have found it; at least not so soon. I simply deleted 'ACSlib <kuid2:60850:89100:11>' & replaced it with an older version ( ... :9> ).

(It's apparently the ACS script, that's concerned with coupling, not AJS, that seems to be something else.)

That turned out to do the trick - no more delays at coupling & uncoupling, even with the Claughtons. :yahoo:

Solving problems by destroying something new & replacing it with something old - that's what I learned at the Waldorf & Statler Remote Academy Of Structural Conservatism. :jester:

• Like 2

Not just in AI systems -- others here must have shared my experience of having new boss with great ideas of making his mark. Warnings of "we tried that"  were brushed aside and eventually the "New" system fell apart and we were left to pick up the pieces. Usually took about 2 years for the chickens to come home to roost!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DonB said:

Not just in AI systems -- others here must have shared my experience of having new boss with great ideas of making his mark. Warnings of "we tried that"  were brushed aside and eventually the "New" system fell apart and we were left to pick up the pieces. Usually took about 2 years for the chickens to come home to roost!

Oh yes.  When I was working as a social worker it seemed we were forever getting new managers with a bright idea who wanted to disrupt what was working perfectly well with their new and wonderful theories.  The worst was a woman who completely rearranged everything according to some theory she had, wrote a thesis about it for the degree she was doing and then b#ggered off leaving it all in a complete mess.  

Edited by Annie
fumble brain

• RMweb Premium

Back to the train set.  My Trainz model railway layout based on the trackplan in the May 1925 issue of MRN is done and dusted now and ready to be uploaded to the DLS.

cJUvAO9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

15 hours ago, Annie said:

Back to the train set.  My Trainz model railway layout based on the trackplan in the May 1925 issue of MRN is done and dusted now and ready to be uploaded to the DLS.

cJUvAO9.jpg

Stunning.  is there a cheeky through line disappearing through the wall into another room?