Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium

I'm still not doing much with my digital trainset, though yesterday I decided it was well time for me to finish off some final fettling work on Manning-Wardle No.3.  No.3's usual job of work is shunting and trip working and being put on a passenger turn would be a rarity, but I wanted to give her a good test run rather than just bunting wagons about in Tenpenny wharf goods yard.

s92Ml0m.jpg

1XU0vve.jpg

08AbsdW.jpg

7R6C678.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Indulging myself by purchasing older Trainz models from Paulz Trainz.  I have three other D16/3's in lined BR black as well.  I asked Paul about buying three D16/3's in black with the early BR totem and he gave me 62546 in green and threw in a 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' lined black tender as well.

eHH7k8H.jpg

PgvjvNA.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Yet another purchase.  Darlington Works's really lovely Holden B12.  It's a superb runner too as i quickly discovered when I gave it a run about on my GER Norfolk layout.  Yes along with its two other sisters it's a spot of retail therapy on my part, but it's also a purchase with an ex-GER lines project in mind.  It's all a bit vague at the moment (I'm good at vague), but it should come together just fine once I make a start on it.

PvY6JUy.jpg

kpx2kE4.jpg

At Bunbury.

cYaNNCY.jpg

At Moxbury.

CROgLHv.jpg

j1EFPNl.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah that takes me back to my early Triang-Hornby days...

Yes I was the proud owner of a Triang B12 as well Stephen.  In my late teens I attempted to convert a B12 into an original condition 'S69', but due to inexperience I made a right mess of it.

Darlington Works's B12 is a 'B12/3' so it's very much an LNER locomotive so it can't wear GER blue unfortunately nor can it work in Scotland on the GNoSR lines, but it will do just fine for the ex-GER lines project I have in mind.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Annie said:

Yet another purchase.  Darlington Works's really lovely Holden B12.  It's a superb runner too as i quickly discovered when I gave it a run about on my GER Norfolk layout.  Yes along with its two other sisters it's a spot of retail therapy on my part, but it's also a purchase with an ex-GER lines project in mind.  It's all a bit vague at the moment (I'm good at vague), but it should come together just fine once I make a start on it.

PvY6JUy.jpg

kpx2kE4.jpg

At Bunbury.

cYaNNCY.jpg

At Moxbury.

CROgLHv.jpg

j1EFPNl.jpg

It is a thing of beauty and the colour and texture achieved is quite something 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

It is a thing of beauty and the colour and texture achieved is quite something 

It's one of Cameron Scott from Darlington Works's older models made for the TS2010 version of the Trainz simulator and to my mind it still stands out as an exceptional digital model even as compared to some of his more recent models.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Back with my digital tinplate trainset projects.  I tidied up a photo of an 'O' gauge Carrette Midland luggage brake van and made a texture from it.  Carrette made a few Clayton Midland coaches, but the difficulty is in finding a good image that doesn't need a horrible amount of restoration work.

U324wrO.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That's really very passable as a D531 45 ft passenger brake van. 

Carrette made some very nice models for Bassett Lowke and it was Henry Greenly who was supervising the quality control on what they made with regard to accuracy and livery details etc.  As compared with Marklin who often made some very strange British outline models Carrette's tinplate rolling stock was the finescale models of their day.

I'm very pleased with how that passenger brake van turned out and now I want to see what other Carette Clayton coaches I can find.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Annie said:

now I want to see what other Carette Clayton coaches I can find.

The other one I've seen is a composite. With end lavatories, it ought to be a corridor carriage; the Midland's such had firsts at one end and thirds at the other - but it's still gives "the look". The whole range of rolling stock was impressive by modern RTR standards!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The other one I've seen is a composite.

I may be able to do something with that composite coach picture Stephen.  It all depends how much straightening out the image needs so I can fit it to my texture template.  Otherwise the coach is is lovely condition and looks like I wouldn't have to do much in the way of repairs at all.  I'll leave the compartments as they are since I'm representing tinplate models rather than the prototype and as to it being a corridor coach it might have a door tinprinted on the ends which is about as far as representing a corridor coach went at this time.

This is an earlier attempt at a composite coach I put together from a photo of a 'shortie' Marklin 'O' gauge bogie coach.  The Marklin coach had opening doors and some of them were bent which made for an interesting job of work sorting out the coach texture.  All in all it didn't turn out too bad though and it's an improvement on the Marklin original.

8q66Ub8.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I've just remembered these coach pictures that I'm sure you'd like to see Stephen.  These ones have doors tinprinted on the ends so there's no confusion about them being corridor coaches.

HAkRCUX.jpg

VheHM6u.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The old tinplate train manufacturers were putting a variety of liveries on their coaches long before the modern plastic RTR lot thought of it.  The LNWR version of those elliptical-roofed coaches looks very nice indeed.

If I was fabulously wealthy I'd have minions scouring the earth for the better quality 'O' gauge tinplate railway models from the pre-grouping era.

While investigating Anthony Dawson's YouTube channel I found this wonderful tank engine.  It's a rebuilt Crewe type and I have to say that the old LNWR did a tidy job of its rebuilt.  I don't have the funds to go rushing off to commission any digital locomotive models at the moment, but if I did No. 3097 would be on the list.

ic21Chy.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Whose silly idea was it to make a faux tinplate representation of this Carette 6 wheel coach.

VEgbh7w.jpg

I thought it was going to be a quick little job to do, but oh no it wasn't.  I ended up doing a lot of repair work to the image before I could fit it into the 6 wheel coach texture template and then there was all kinds of fluffing about with small details and yet more texture fixing, - and just when I thought I was almost done I realised that because the toilet compartment was at the 1st class end I was going to have to make an opposite handed coach side to the one I'd already made.  BUT I got there in the end and I think it doesn't look too bad.

By the way I've setup that 6 wheel coach underframe to mimic the way a Clemenson 6 wheel underframe works.

oxGg6qD.jpg

AApaAPN.jpg

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Annie said:

While investigating Anthony Dawson's YouTube channel I found this wonderful tank engine. 

The Cromford and High Peak had several of those, as well as the unrebuilt tender engines.

(I've just had a moment of doubt that it was only the DX tender engines they had and the tanks were the Webb Chopper tanks, but the book I would need to check is on the bottom of a heap and not accessible. Colour me unreliable).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The Cromford & High Peak, - now there's an amazing line that would take a lot of work to do it justice.  I wouldn't have picked a Crewe type as an engine for working this line, but John Marshall's book on the line has one on the cover as plain as day.

fZMluWZ.jpg

'No.3049 is a Trevithick 2-4-0 tank, converted from No.67 Briareus, a 2-4-0 ‘Crewe goods’, posed in this marvelous study on the extremely steep 1 in 14 Hopton incline of the Cromford & High Peak Railway  high on the limestone moors of Derbyshire.' (LNWRS Photo Ref 9225)

Edited by Annie
added a picture
  • Like 8

16 minutes ago, Annie said:

The Cromford & High Peak, - now there's an amazing line that would take a lot of work to do it justice.  I wouldn't have picked a Crewe type as an engine for working this line, but John Marshall's book on the line has one on the cover as plain as day.

fZMluWZ.jpg

'No.3049 is a Trevithick 2-4-0 tank, converted from No.67 Briareus, a 2-4-0 ‘Crewe goods’, posed in this marvelous study on the extremely steep 1 in 14 Hopton incline of the Cromford & High Peak Railway  high on the limestone moors of Derbyshire.' (LNWRS Photo Ref 9225)

What a wonderful picture.

Hoping to have a Crewe Type on the WNR

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

What a wonderful picture.

Hoping to have a Crewe Type on the WNR

Yes indeed James.  The LNWRS only seems to have this one picture unfortunately and no drawing is listed in their extensive drawing archive, - or not that I could see anyway.  I'm going to need to save my pocket money if I want one of these as a digital model, but I guess I can fill in the time by trying to find drawings and other necessary information.

A Crewe Type would be just the job for the WNR.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Annie said:

Yes indeed James.  The LNWRS only seems to have this one picture unfortunately and no drawing is listed in their extensive drawing archive, - or not that I could see anyway.  I'm going to need to save my pocket money if I want one of these as a digital model, but I guess I can fill in the time by trying to find drawings and other necessary information.

2-4-0 tender version, because, in Norfolk, there were precedents; 2 went to what became the M&GN

. Two were

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Annie said:

There was an article in RailMODEL DIgest 5 by Graham Overton describing his construction of a 7mm model of a 'Crewe Goods Tank' with elevation and a number of useful sketches of cab and boiler details.

• Informative/Useful 1

Here's another picture of one.

image.png.6cfaf75c5a09084a965ac2d1ed63659e.png

In this case No 37, Hawk, at Kirkburton on an excursion train in 1868.  If you want to delve further I would thoroughly recommend Edward Talbot's book "The Diary of Thomas Baron1855-1862" http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Sales/book13.php which has numerous mid-century photographs, drawings and narrative, ISBN: 978-0-9570158-4-5.

Edited by Adam88
reinsert lost picture
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Adam88 said:

Here's another picture of one.

image.png.09d35b456128782f25f0a6ca339e467f.png

In this case No 37, Hawk, at Kirkburton on an excursion train in 1868.  If you want to delve further I would thoroughly recommend Edward Talbot's book "The Diary of Thomas Baron1855-1862" http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Sales/book13.php which has numerous mid-century photographs, drawings and narrative, ISBN: 978-0-9570158-4-5.

Thanks Adam.  That looks like another book I must get for my railway bookshelf.  I've found the LNWRS to be very good when it comes to overseas book sales.

'Railway Machinery' Volume 2 by Daniel Kinnear Clark has excellent drawings of a Crewe type goods locomotive in original condition.  The only problem is finding a decent digital copy where the all important plates have been properly scanned.  The digital copy I have isn't too bad all except for the left hand half of the first drawing where the photocopier seems to have taken a fit.

22 minutes ago, Annie said:

Thanks Adam.  That looks like another book I must get for my railway bookshelf.  I've found the LNWRS to be very good when it comes to overseas book sales.

'Railway Machinery' Volume 2 by Daniel Kinnear Clark has excellent drawings of a Crewe type goods locomotive in original condition.  The only problem is finding a decent digital copy where the all important plates have been properly scanned.  The digital copy I have isn't too bad all except for the left hand half of the first drawing where the photocopier seems to have taken a fit.

I have enough digital downloads to last a lifetime but this one doesn't look too bad to me.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100231046

Adam