Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium

What I was trying to post about when the forum software was having a fit was that there's a modern error Trainz route named Cornish Railways by marky7890 which is a much more accurate proposition when compared with Cornwall Mainline and Branches.  The only problem with it as far as I'm concerned is that it's a modern day route, but with  Cornwall Mainline and Branches having been mapped out using Goggle Earth despite claiming to be a 1930s route it's difficult at times to pick between them.

Anyway this is a picture of the Hayle Viaduct on the Cornish Railways Trainz route.

usbRejs.jpg

Edited by Annie
fixed picture
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Is that an Asda behind the viaduct?

I wouldn't know Stephen. I didn't want to look too closely at the picture in case I caught BR Blue disease.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

And it's back to the Cornish Mainline.  45xx's worked all over the section of the Cornish Mainline represented by this particular Trainz route with six at Penzance and up to twelve at Truro.  I needed a 45xx for testing and wasn't entirely impressed by what was on offer for free on the DLS.  Paulz Trainz had an old 45xx payware model that looked like it might be worthwhile, but would it work in TS2019?

In a word it didn't and I needed to repair all manner of issues with mesh substance file names, make a new normal map and there were the usual small texture issues to take care of as well.  BUT I got there and No. 4545 and is proving to be a very nice sweet running engine and well worth all the effort I had to put into getting it to work in the latest Trainz version.

Edit:  I've just found a picture of No. 4545 with a bicycle as extra equipment so........ watch this space.......

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/2746935_orig.jpg

MnWChTs.jpg?1

xagc6MH.jpg

Edited by Annie
Um..... shedplate
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There's a good many pictures about of Long Rock shed at Penzance.  Since the builder of the Cornish Mainline & Branches was following Gaggle Earth as his source he left Long Rock out entirely.  I am very tempted to put Long Rock where it should be, only I'm hesitating over the work involved since once I start I'll end up fixing all the crappy trackwork between Penzance station and Marazion as well.

1907/08

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/img960-penzance-engine-shed-used-21st-may-2019_orig.jpg

BR Era

https://curnowcollection.wordpress.com/long-rock-steam-era/

1936 OS map

KqGqL1U.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It depends on what date you’re doing your Cornwall Railway, Annie. The site at Long Rock wasn’t developed until 1914, with engine shed and carriage sidings. Before then there was a cramped engine shed on the upside as you left the station, and the coaches had sidings under the station roof, the setup inherited from the original arrangement. Then it was just a single line along the bay, I think some on a low trestle, out to Marazion, which would save you a bit of work?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes all very true Mr Northroader.  Fixing the the 1930s version to actually be a 1930s version would be an awful lot of work since the trackwork as it stands is a mess of the modern error mixed in with some big shovelfuls of making it all up as we go along.

I would still like to complete my 1880-1890 version of the Cornish railways so it would be better for me to default to an earlier time period such as circa 1907 as per this picture I linked to above http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/img960-penzance-engine-shed-used-21st-may-2019_orig.jpg  which wasn't so very different to the late 19th century layout (OS map) so I could make use of it with slight mods for both time periods.  I would be able to cheer myself up lots with deleting all the modern stuff as well which would be a nice bonus.  :)

rB1lGFv.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Nice picture you’ve found there.

That picture is gold Mr Northroader, - I was very pleased to find it.  I now have 41Mb of digital goodness in the way of an OS map from the National Library of Scotland so it's all coming together very nicely. 

I was very impressed with the NLS as it was only two hours after I placed my order that I was sent the download link.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Nice picture you’ve found there. Three Bulldogs straining at the leash. 

To the left of the most prominent Bulldog, a big loco coal wagon No. 83327 (must help date the photo - but I gave Atkins back to its owner) and in front of that, a four-plank wagon with wooden end pillars. I suppose it might be a PO wagon, though not so many made it down to the western extremities or so I understand. So it might be one of those built by the Great Western in the 1870s.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I transferred my 1880s Cornwall Railway layout over to TS2019 from TS2012.  The railway itself, the viaducts, the tunnels & etc are fine, but the scenery is a mess.  In fact I found it difficult to recognise some of it.  I dare say it's all things that can be fixed, but it is a bit disappointing.

JpiU18C.jpg

X4u75vq.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much James.  Even though it's been a lot of work transferring my Cornwall layout over to the newest version of the Trainz simulator it's really good to be back doing things on the layout again.

And you just knew that I would get around to returning this engine to my Cornwall layout.  Officially it's my track testing engine, - something which it's very good at, - but sometimes I just like to play trains with it.

jZm0f0F.jpg

At Chacewater (WIP).  I am planning on eventually taking the West Cornwall line through to Camborne and while Penzance has been talked about. - it might be a while before that happens.

M4sbThq.jpg

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

In amongst crashing out and falling asleep all the time I finally managed to finish off this open wagon and get it uploaded to the DLS.  I thought I'd already completed it and sent it off, but I hadn't.  My pre-grouping WIP texture files are in a right old state so I'm trying my best to get them sorted out.  I've got various test WIP goods wagons all over the place as well and I haven't a clue what I was intending to do with some of them.

uWmqGBr.jpg

HZyzQrH.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Just a gentle warning, it's spelt Camborne without a 'u', I've heard the people that live there can get quite tetchy or as they say Teasy or Mezzed if you spell it wrong. Some of them are also quite annoyed that Bradshaw skips past and says it is of little importance.

Am I right in assuming your Cornwall layout is set before they built the Newquay branch?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simonmcp said:

Just a gentle warning, it's spelt Camborne without a 'u', I've heard the people that live there can get quite tetchy or as they say Teasy or Mezzed if you spell it wrong. Some of them are also quite annoyed that Bradshaw skips past and says it is of little importance.

Am I right in assuming your Cornwall layout is set before they built the Newquay branch?

I shall make a note of that Simon and be more careful in future.  I did wonder about that though when I was searching the NLS website for old OS maps and I wasn't finding anywhere in Cornwall using 'Cambourne' as the keyword.

I've taken the 1880s as the time period for the layout, but haven't given much thought as to the Newquay branch as yet.  I would really like to get the West Cornwall line as far as Chacewater done and dusted first before I start pushing onwards,

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Schooner.

I see trying to model and represent communities as being more than just plonking down houses, - which is why I've struggled with building up Truro for so long.  Chacewater in the 1880's is easy because there isn't much there, but I know that Redruth and Camborne are going to be fairly challenging.

For a Kiwi who has never been to Cornwall and isn't ever likely to be able to visit I seem to be drawn to the region and its history.  I'm no scholar and geography has always been a weakness for me so what my  modelling is about is trying to make things look right.

Edited by Annie
Um..........
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Annie,

As a current resident of Cornwall and someone who worked on the digitising of the mapping of a large part of the footpath, bridleway and byway network I do have some understanding of the topography.

I used to live in Camborne and I think you will find that, perhaps surprisingly, it only expanded relatively late on in the Industrial Revolution. Yes there were a great many mines but apparently Camborne was still a village until the railway helped it expand:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camborne

Sadly it now has some of the most deprived areas of the UK within it, luckily not relevant to your era though. Redruth on the other hand was once the richest part of the UK thanks to mining. Truro where I now work also didn't expand until recently, it only had around 20,000 inhabitants in the 1980's.

I don't know if you have found the Cornish Studies website:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kresen_Kernow which has a massive amount of information (Kernow is the Celtic name of Cornwall).

I see you have found the Cornwall Railway Society website which is also a mine of information, if you do a modern version of Cornwall's Railway then you would need a character based on Roger Winnen carrying a Lidl's carrier bag in which he kept his 'croust' or lunch and his notebook, you will have seen many of his photographs on the CRS website.

Good luck with your work on the Cornwall route and don't hesitate to ask, I may not be able to answer all your queries but will probably know someone who may.

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much Simon, it's very likely that I will have questions to ask as I go along with this project.  I had noticed with studying old maps that some towns and villages changed little over a long period of time then all of a sudden they became larger and more spread out.

The original builder of the layout I'm modding back into the 1880's period  used Gaggle Earth as a guide.  Even for the claimed 1930's period this was completely wrong and I had to do so much deleting of trees, buildings and other infrastructure that simply should not have been there.

• RMweb Gold

The sudden expansion of housing would very likely coincide with the discovery of a seam of Tin or Copper nearby. The area between Redruth and Camborne at one stage looked like a cross between the surface of the moon and a bomb cratered area. Just look up Tuckingmill, see below:- dolcoath_mine_1890.jpg

Edited to say there were/are over 100 shafts within a square kilometre of that photograph.

Simon

Edited by simonmcp
Number of shafts
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the picture of Tuckingmill Simon.  Even modern pictures of these old mining sites still have the quality of being an ancient Sci-Fi war zone about them.  I haven't done a great deal with the old mining sites around Chacewater yet beyond start to mark out their location, but I can already see that a big pot of 'Blasted Heath' is going to be needed

l5N3PuM.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1