Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Gold

Should have mentioned that the Tuckingmill picture is looking almost exactly due East. Carn Brea (hill with, probably after your time scale - a mock medieval castle and a obelisk monument on it). The Red River - so called because it actually was red from the mine pollution ran from around the site of that picture to the north coast. Nowadays that area is covered in horrendous modern housing and retail sheds. I wouldn't dally too long in some of the buildings  though as there are still a very large number of uncapped mine shafts, allegedly there are three under one of the supermarkets. More pertinent to your era was the distinct lack of any substantial tree growth. Also a lot of the trees literally grow almost horizontaly in a north easterly direction as they are battered by south westerly gales:blink:.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cornish+wind+blown+tree&client=ms-android-motorola-rev2&prmd=ismvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjD5Z7WopLvAhXUqHEKHeZfAvUQ_AUoAXoECAMQAQ&biw=360&bih=592&dpr=2#imgrc=fwPLMcjkVbQoYM

Hopefully picture or link above.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

From OS maps and such old photos as I've been able to find very much showed that there wasn't much in the way of trees.  The pictures that you found of Cornish wind blown trees would make for a final welcoming touch to the whole area I don't think.

While I was doing research I read about the Red River and how horribly polluted and corrosive the water was.  Along with a landscape honeycombed with open mineshafts it sounds like the perfect place to build grotty modern housing and retail sheds.

• RMweb Premium

I'm having difficulty staying awake past two hours at the moment, but despite that I managed to get these two B&ER open wagons finished.  Their meshes were part of a project I was involved in last year to create some generic mid period Broad Gauge open wagons based around the BGS's plan 408.  I've been meaning to do something with the body meshes ever since and I had all kinds of WIP wagons hanging about that really needed something doing to them.

I was annoyed and disappointed to discover my copy of the 'Broad Gauge at Watchet' is falling apart.  Perhaps I need to stop frowning at the pictures so much.

ch01agO.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Player of trains said:

They're looking quite excellent Annie, now I'm struggling not to go perusing the Download Station for broad gauge.

Thanks very much.  Be careful though, the Broad Gauge has a way of casting a spell over you and in the aftermath you will never be quite the same again.

Apart from the DLS this page on Steve Flander's website is well worth a look (freeware).  http://www.jatws.org/ing4trainz/gwr-broad.htm

The B&ER 4-4-0ST I commissioned can be found here (freeware).  https://darlington-works.weebly.com/freeware.html

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Photo shamelessly stolen from the Didcot Railway Centre page on Faceplant.  I shamelessly stole the words too.

This photograph shows the 2-4-0 saddle tank No 2137 ‘Prince’ at Brixham in 1891 on the broad gauge. The locomotive had been built for the South Devon Railway in 1871 by the Ince Forge Company. After the gauge conversion in 1892, No 2137 was converted to narrow (standard) gauge in June 1893, with outside frames and bearings to all wheels. It was renumbered 1316 and lost its name.

The locomotive was altered to a winding engine in March 1896, working at Crofton from May 1896 to April 1897, and as a pumping engine at Stert from March 1898 to May 1899. It was then condemned and sent to Portreath as a stationary winding engine, though not withdrawn from stock until 1901. It was transferred to Swindon in June 1904, to Old Oak Common in November 1905, to Swindon Machinery Stores as spare in August 1906, loaned to Dorchester Prisoners-of-War Camp in November 1917, returned to Swindon two years later and held as spare until November 1923, after which it was used as a portable boiler only. From May 1928 to September 1933 it was again stored as a spare at Swindon, being finally cut up in August 1935 after spending months on the dump at Swindon.

PpRYGDJ.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Idle thought: 

O gauge - 32mm

Annie Standard Gauge - 7'1/4"  (2140mm)

Scale -1:67 (ish)

S scale -1:64

Hmmm...

Sorry, @Schooner, can't follow your maths there or what you're trying to prove.  Dividing the actual gauge by the gauge used for 7mm scale doesn't seem to have any relevance to me since the gauge you quote for 0-gauge is not accurate (for 4'8½") in the first place.  :scratchhead:

Jim

No apology needed! I wasn't overly clear, and the maths may not be overly accurate :)

I was wondering about a GWR Broad Gauge (2140mm) layout using O Gauge track (YMMV, call it 32mm). The prospect would rely on scratch building/3D printing, sure, but might be more feasible if the resulting scale (c.1:67) was close to one for which there is some support...

Really was just an idle thought :)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

It could work as "coarse S scale broad gauge", with the 32 mm gauge being a little under scale - true scale would be 33.4 mm - so the width over the outside of coarse scale O gauge wheelsets would not be over-scale and hence cause no problem with clearances for splashers etc. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Northroader said:

But Slaters do broad gauge axles for O scale, so it’s quite easy to do your modelling in 7mm/foot for locos and rolling stock, and either Marcway or BGS components for track.

The whole point of S scale is that it's hard!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Nah.

You only have to deal with your own mistakes, not someone else’s...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Waaaay back in my 20 somethings I gave S scale a go and I found it very good for building 19th century models.  Since I'd been previously  been trying to scratchbuild 19th century models in P4 the 'hard' bit wasn't that 'hard' anymore since everything was a wee bit bigger.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I did some more work on this B&ER 5 plank.  The chap from the creator group who did the meshes for these Broad Gauge wagons put them together in a really odd way which doesn't make doing any texture revisions very easy.  I had to make a normal map he'd left out altogether, but I'm reasonably happy with the final result.  Even simple jobs are taking me ages at the moment because I keep falling asleep.

NtNIFfU.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Annie. I do hope you're not being badly affected by the earthquakes you're experiencing over there. From memory you are on the other side of the Ruakumara peninsula, so maybe not at risk from the tsunamis. 

Jim 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Caley Jim said:

Hi Annie. I do hope you're not being badly affected by the earthquakes you're experiencing over there. From memory you are on the other side of the Ruakumara peninsula, so maybe not at risk from the tsunamis. 

Jim 

The first 7.1 shake woke me up around 2.30am Jim.   I'm a good distance from the quake epicentre with the spine of the Coromandel Ranges between me and the coast so I felt the first shakes as three distinct long slow movements, but fortunately without any strength behind them so no damage or anything.  There was no traffic on the road so I knew at once it was an earthquake and not a logging truck so I had a look on GeoNet NZ's website and sure enough there was the epicentre marked on their map 105 Km east of Te Araroa.

https://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/history/2021p169083

I didn't feel any of the other shakes during the day and the two big ones out at the Kermadecs were too far away from where I am for me to notice them.  No major tsunami events, but more than a few tidal anomalies were observed along the coast with the far north being the most affected.  By about 4.00pm the all clear was given that the wave events had passed us by.

By and large people living along the East Coast were sensible and did all the right things and followed the Civil Defence guidelines with the various county councils and first responders in the local areas being right onto making sure people were able to get to higher ground.  There may have been the odd Darwin Award contender, but fortunately they seem to have been few and far between.

With the first anniversary of the White Island eruption coming up soon I think everyone is pretty aware just how fast seismic events can happen in these 'shakey isles' of ours.  

• Friendly/supportive 8

13 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I thought the point of modelling in the more arcane scales, was that there was little chance, that after spending a huge amount of time and effort in scratch building a rare prototype, you were unlikely to see a RTR example released.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, rocor said:

I thought the point of modelling in the more arcane scales, was that there was little chance, that after spending a huge amount of time and effort in scratch building a rare prototype, you were unlikely to see a RTR example released.

Or a kit.

I’m just glad not to have built a GWR “metro” tank from scratch...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not entirely happy with my green and yellow light railway buildings in this context so I'm thinking of changing them for something else.  Or perhaps changing their colours, - or something.............

I'm tempted to try out my old fall back and use M&GNJR station buildings, but I don't really want to

• Friendly/supportive 2

48 minutes ago, Annie said:

I'm not entirely happy with my green and yellow light railway buildings in this context so I'm thinking of changing them for something else.  Or perhaps changing their colours, - or something.............

I'm tempted to try out my old fall back and use M&GNJR station buildings, but I don't really want to

A beautiful little terminus, Annie.

Have not settled on station colours for the WNR.  A line's colours for woodwork need not necessarily reflect those of its stock, and I'm considering buff and brown, which seems to have been a reasonably common choice.

Perhaps the Station Colours Website will furnish us with inspiration.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

A beautiful little terminus, Annie.

Have not settled on station colours for the WNR.  A line's colours for woodwork need not necessarily reflect those of its stock, and I'm considering buff and brown, which seems to have been a reasonably common choice.

Perhaps the Station Colours Website will furnish us with inspiration.  

Thanks very much James.  I found an old sketch that I must've done years ago for a tinplate based 'O' gauge station and yard so when I was having a patch of the blues a couple of days ago I decided to see what I could do with it to cheer myself up.  At the moment nothing is really set down permanently except for the station yard and town.  The trackwork beyond the level crossing gates could go just about anywhere, but possibly to a mill or dairy factory or something of the kind.  At the moment it describes a loop to make a continuous run for testing purposes.

The town is called 'Bedwood' by the way which is appropriate since if the sketched plan had been built it would have been sited in my bedroom.

Thank you for the link to the Station Colours Website as I can see that becoming very useful.  I think I found the website once before, but then forgot about it.  I seem to be very good at forgetting things lately.  Buff and Brown are certainly classic station colours and I think they would look well on the W.N.R.

The Southern Railway like colours didn't really do it for me this time around so I started to look for an alternative and remembered that the Windweather Tramway used a similar yellowish cream, but combined with a deep wine/maroon and that always looked well.  Now that the rusty cogs in my head were starting to turn I remembered that about a year ago I had started to do a reskin of a digital model of Moreton station from way back in Trainz TS2014 days.  The model was unfortunately made for the BR dismal era and represented the station as mucked about with by BR, but I was sure I could do something with it.  Finding some photos of a really nice  old wooden 'O' gauge model of a station building on Ebay I decided to see if I could turn them into a set of textures to transform  Moreton into something decently pre-grouping.   For some reason I stopped halfway through and I haven't a clue why, but I think I'll get back to it and see if it will make a nice station building for Bedwood.

i2hKaro.jpg

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2