Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

7 hours ago, Annie said:

vNXR1Rk.jpg

I have joined the Great Eastern Railway Society.

At least you won't have to master the funny handshake, and online you can have an onscreen prompt for the passwords!

eg:

Statement: "The significant owl hoots in the night."
Response:  "Yet many grey lords go sadly to the masterless men."

etc....

3 hours ago, Annie said:

Book Corner:

NduaMve.jpg

If that's an "average enthusiast"...

3 hours ago, Annie said:

piZcZ4R.gif

qzvFLWi.gif

So is anyone actually here?  It seems ever since the plague descended upon the world folk have been gradually giving up on their hobbies and interests at a time when they actually might be a help maintaining some measure of a healthy mental equilibrium.  It's noticeable on other forums as well with less people being active and posting about their projects.  On the Trainz forum we had formerly sensible folk suddenly start spouting conspiracy theories about Covid-19 being fake resulting in the moderators having give them severe warnings about not bringing that nonsense into the forum.  At least we haven't had that here in the pre-grouping forum.

Tumbleweed, eh?  Did I ever mention when I passed through March a few years ago....

Well, we're all here, aren't we?

Helloooooo????

As for conspiracy theories, they're all very well, but most governments around the world couldn't keep a conspiracy in a paper bag!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Still here and modelling Annie. For me the last year has resulted in a noticeable upsurge in modelling, the joys of working from home has meant that I can, if time permits, get some done in the morning before work, and I'm certainly not as tired as I was in the evenings. I'm just hoping that I can continue to work from home for the majority long term (as do the dogs and the cat who I think will be quite miffed if we have to go back to the office full time), as my mental health has certainly been far better for it.

Re Liskeard and Caradon - do you have a copy of this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Caradon-Looe-Canal-Railways-Mines/dp/0906294460 - a very useful book as it also has drawings of the locos and stock.

• Like 3

Still lurking on a number of topics, But conspiracy theories could be generated if Annie was feeling neglected. No theories  by me however,  i have a little sticky badge on my jacket to proclaim that I have had 2 jabs of the Astra Zenica vaccine. But still not allowed to hug anyone yet! 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

As for conspiracy theories, they're all very well, but most governments around the world couldn't keep a conspiracy in a paper bag!

Aye. Never ascribe to a conspiracy what can easily be explained away as a cock-up.

Still here, Annie: but some of us haven’t had the dubious pleasure of furlough!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

At least you won't have to master the funny handshake, and online you can have an onscreen prompt for the passwords!

eg:

Statement: "The significant owl hoots in the night."
Response:  "Yet many grey lords go sadly to the masterless men."

etc....

:lol:

I have to say though that shortly after joining up I was most thoroughly welcomed and provided with all manner of information about how best to go about making use of the society's resources.  I thought the Broad Gauge Society were a friendly lot, but I think they might have met their match in the GER Society.

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Well for a while in my rebellious youth I did smoke a pipe.

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

45 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Aye. Never ascribe to a conspiracy what can easily be explained away as a cock-up.

Yes all very true.  We have a small band of performing idiots here in New Zealand (her majesty's loyal Tory opposition) aided by a supporting cast of nutters who provide practical demonstrations of that on a fairly regular basis.

54 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Still here, Annie: but some of us haven’t had the dubious pleasure of furlough!

Good to know Simon.  Being retired I've been well out of the issues around furlough here in NZ.

1 hour ago, DonB said:

Still lurking on a number of topics, But conspiracy theories could be generated if Annie was feeling neglected. No theories  by me however,  i have a little sticky badge on my jacket to proclaim that I have had 2 jabs of the Astra Zenica vaccine. But still not allowed to hug anyone yet! 

Once upon a time all we had to worry about was flying saucers and Nazca lines when it came to conspiracy theories, but of late some parts of the world have become worryingly dangerous places due to folk grasping hold of seriously crazy beliefs.  I used to subscribe to a couple of on-line news feeds, but I ended up cancelling them due to all the crazy stuff that was being sent to me every day.

I had an email message from our local medical centre informing me that I should make an appointment to come in and get my jab, but it was only for the yearly 'flu jab and not the Covid-19 one.  The priority here is to get all people working on the border jabbed first and then they'll start working down the list of vulnerable persons, elderly folk and folk with disabilities and so on.  More than like it will be sometime in May before I get mine.

1 hour ago, NeilHB said:

Still here and modelling Annie. For me the last year has resulted in a noticeable upsurge in modelling, the joys of working from home has meant that I can, if time permits, get some done in the morning before work, and I'm certainly not as tired as I was in the evenings. I'm just hoping that I can continue to work from home for the majority long term (as do the dogs and the cat who I think will be quite miffed if we have to go back to the office full time), as my mental health has certainly been far better for it.

Re Liskeard and Caradon - do you have a copy of this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Caradon-Looe-Canal-Railways-Mines/dp/0906294460 - a very useful book as it also has drawings of the locos and stock.

Oooooo now that's a book I should seek out, - thanks very much Neil.  I've blown my book budget for this week so I'll have to be patient before I can order a copy.

Now that I'm an OAP I'm always 'working from home' these days.  Compared to putting in 60 hour weeks as well as having to be stuck in traffic twice a day back when I was working as a social worker being home all the time is lovely.  Parts of our larger cities have been turned into ghost towns due to the numbers of office workers who have discovered the delights of working from home and not doing the daily commute.  I know all this is causing all manner in changes in society not to mention businesses dependent on hordes of commuters going into the commercial hubs of cities now going to the wall because they've got no customers, but overall I'm hopeful that some good things will come out of it in the long run.  

As to mental health that's certainly a positive benefit with reductions in stress levels.  It has been said that folk now working from home might not get the same level of social contact as compared with having to go to a workplace.  I know in my own case that after working for years as a social worker I've had quite enough of face to face contacts with other human beings thank you very much.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Annie said:

Book Corner:

NduaMve.jpg

Railway Modeller December 1953; - a bit older than I am by a handful of months. 

As the magazines tended to hit the shelves just before the publication date. This would have been the issue that would have been gracing the magazine section of Smiths the day I was born.

As to Hroths comment:

He certainly ticks all the right boxes for a stereotypical 1950s railway modeller.

Open neck pullover with shirt and tie.

Tweed jacket.

Pipe.

Small neat moustache.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, rocor said:

As the magazines tended to hit the shelves just before the publication date. This would have been the issue that would have been gracing the magazine section of Smiths the day I was born.

As to Hroths comment:

He certainly ticks all the right boxes for a stereotypical 1950s railway modeller.

Tweed jacket.

Pipe.

Small neat moustache.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was a different time...

I'd have called it a Vee-Necked jumper and a sports jacket, if drilling down to that level of detail!  And I'd say the high forehead was also typical of the era, my father always claimed that his baldness was from wearing his RAF bush hat in India...

That could be an interesting thread, "name your contemporary Railway Modeller issue".

Ummmm

I know what my contemporary issue is, it contained a very influential article, it too has a similarly attired bloke with a pipe, though his hair is a bit more abundant, but....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Annie said:

piZcZ4R.gif

qzvFLWi.gif

So is anyone actually here?  It seems ever since the plague descended upon the world folk have been gradually giving up on their hobbies and interests at a time when they actually might be a help maintaining some measure of a healthy mental equilibrium.  It's noticeable on other forums as well with less people being active and posting about their projects.  On the Trainz forum we had formerly sensible folk suddenly start spouting conspiracy theories about Covid-19 being fake resulting in the moderators having give them severe warnings about not bringing that nonsense into the forum.  At least we haven't had that here in the pre-grouping forum.

Yes I expected a hiatus of fantastic modelling but the past year on all fora has been underwhelming 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, rocor said:

Tweed jacket.

Pipe.

Small neat moustache.

Much the same kind of chap could be seen on the covers of a number of model railway related magazines as well as advertising material from around the same time period.  The Hornby Dublo (sometimes six fingered) pipe smoking Dad from circa 1959 was a later example from the other end of the decade.

6JIBqiX.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Annie said:

So is anyone actually here?

I'm still here, & I won't go away. The only reason why I haven't posted in a while is that I have been doing mostly American trainz stuff, which doesn't belong here. That doesn't mean I have lost interest in British railway, far from that.

I discovered that not only in England but also in the USA there was a Great Northern Railway, which ran from Chicago to Seattle. So the strange idea of a combined British-American virtual model railway layout named 'The Double Great Northern Railway' came to my insane mind: double track, left track English GNR, right track American GN.  :crazy_mini:

A Gresley H4... 1614389605_GNRH4.jpg.a0b197473352857c085c9924a3090af5.jpg

...would run alongside a Baldwin H-4. 1256458832_GNH-4pic2.jpg.803e8f7f3fcbf2f9dbf2b8ec3594bfdc.jpg

That would be truly in the spirit of Annie's 1st commandment 'Do silly things!', & if it ever materializes, I will post some pictures.

Edited by Jake The Rat
Me fail English? That's unpossible. ^^
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Annie said:

Much the same kind of chap could be seen on the covers of a number of model railway related magazines as well as advertising material from around the same time period.  The Hornby Dublo (sometimes six fingered) pipe smoking Dad from circa 1959 was a later example from the other end of the decade.

6JIBqiX.jpg

The Hornby Dad exists in two rotations, you can identify the R/H rotation as that has six fingers!

(Its something to do with chemistry, but I can't remember what its called, its ages since I did A levels...)

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The Hornby Dad exists in two rotations, you can identify the R/H rotation as that has six fingers!

(Its something to do with chemistry, but I can't remember what its called, its ages since I did A levels...)

Chirality?.

• Agree 2

We've just had our blue envelopes to go for our second jags next week.  :dancer:  As those who follow my layout thread will know, I've been working as a building contractor for the past few month, but things might be a wee bit quiet there now while I decide what to tackle next on the layout.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, rocor said:

Tweed jacket.

Pipe.

Small neat moustache.

No idea of the truth of it, but according to what some of my friends say, isn't that "The Guild" personified?

• Funny 5

15 hours ago, Annie said:

Yes ma'am, wouldn't miss your updates here if it was the last bandwidth I had! Much cheered by the continual stream of lovely, and very fine, modelling. Thank you for continuing to share :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

It finally clicked...

Optical rotation

which is as rocor says, chirality, so six-finger man is dextroman!

The one Annie posted above is therefore levoman...

Edited by Hroth
clarification

16 hours ago, Annie said:

I was abducted by aliens in a flying saucer for a couple of weeks but when they found out I was too old for studdery they dropped me off again. Just catching up now with what you've all been getting up to.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

We’re all here cos it’s all virtual inside your nut and in them bits on your computer thngybob. When you visit other threads it’s all plastic and brass and stuff, but you’re still very welcome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, AdamsRadial said:

So how bizarre was that? Looking back a page in the thread and what do I find but that my tongue-in-cheek quip about UFO's is actually on topic?

My thread is at times a very broad church Adam.

Did you get any interesting snaps from being abducted or did the mean aliens confiscate your camera/cellphone.  They could have at least given you a souvenir Tee shirt.

ibPy8Jm.jpg

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

We’re all here cos it’s all virtual inside your nut and in them bits on your computer thngybob. When you visit other threads it’s all plastic and brass and stuff, but you’re still very welcome.

Since I spend so much time asleep and dreaming Mr Northroader I'm never actually sure if 'here' is just another part of the Dreamworld.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

(Picture posted again because I like it so no complaining)

fmr8rK0.jpg

Getting back to (mostly) sensible things  I've found out a bit more out about the 48ft 3ins lavatory composite (D209) built in 1897 for the Cromer expresses.  There were 12 of them and an unknown number were later converted into motor train (push-pull) driving trailers, - two of which were possibly used on the Saffron Walden branch after having been used at Palace Gates. 

I was trying to figure out what the mysterious 'vestibule' mentioned on the Disused Stations website with reference to these coaches was, - however once I was able to have a look at the floor plan of the original coaches all became clear.  When these coaches were converted the lavatory compartments were removed leaving behind an empty space joined to the internal semi-corridors and this was the mysterious 'vestibule'.  Possibly it became a useful place for the guard to lurk about in since there doesn't seem to have been a designated guard's compartment.

If the Saffron Walden motor train coaches are indeed former D209 composites then which end became the driving end?  The Disused Stations website gives the order of the compartments and what they were, but the luggage compartment wasn't at what was the first class end on a D209.  And to top it off the driving compartment looks to have been converted from a passenger compartment.  (Quote) 'The layout is, - driving compt (former passenger compt); two passenger compts; vestibule; passenger compt; luggage compt; two passenger compts.'

All very puzzling, but I shall get to the bottom of this mystery.

EDIT: An article in the GER Society Journal mentions D209 conversions being used at Palace Gates, but also mentions D243 ex-Cromer express motor train coach conversions without differentiating as to which ones actually were used at Palace Gates.  Annoying, - yes!, - very much so.  

Further reading and I see that it's said that the D209 Cromer express coaches became somehow redesignated as D243, but there must've been a one heck of a lot of modification involved since the compartment plan is different to the D209 one; - driver/2nd/1st/vestibule/1st/luggage/2nd/2nd whereas a D209 was originally luggage/1st/1st/lav/3rd/3rd/3rd/3rd.  The D243 2nds becoming 3rds when the 2nd class was abandoned by the GER. 

I'm going to say that the D209 thing is a red herring and that the D243's were a different coach entirely because to saw up a D209 to make a D243 would have involved so much work and expense the GER wouldn't have considered doing it for a moment 

And there were clerestory coach motor train conversions lurking about at Palace Gates as well but I'm not so interested in those at the moment.

D209

diagram211.jpg

Edited by Annie
More information
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

The D243 Appreciation Post:

And having just woken up now still feeling all annoyed about the D209 - D243 controversy I can report that I found an almost side on photo of one of the pair of motor train coaches that eventually ended up at Saffron Walden and they were still talking about it being a D209 when it was very plain that it was nothing like the D209 general arrangement drawing I posted earlier.  I can't post the photo here unfortunately as it's only for the eyes of the Blessed Elect of the GER Society such as myself.

These Holden arc roof coaches do interest me though and I might attempt one later on.  Something I didn't know though was that the GER suburban lines retained 2nd class until 1938.  I found a photo of an LNER livered suburban coach with an LNER styled '2' on one of its doors and that had me a bit wide-eyed for a moment until I realised that I hadn't dropped into an alternative universe.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, AdamsRadial said:

I was abducted by aliens in a flying saucer for a couple of weeks but when they found out I was too old for studdery they dropped me off again. Just catching up now with what you've all been getting up to.

As another 'Biff' postcard has it, you will be abducted by aliens again and yet again retain NO memory of this event...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I got fed up with driving myself nuts over doing research into GER coaches so I decided that today would be the day when I finally got my my main large Norfolk layout fully installed into TANE (Trainz; A New Era).  I have two other smaller versions of my Norfolk layout which I installed into TANE a month or so ago as a test run to see if there were going to be any problems.  You would have seen the snaps I took while testing the motor train coaches and the Steam railmotor in one or the other of these two smaller layouts, but what I really wanted was to have the full and complete layout installed into TANE with the whole sprawling empire of the Affiliated (Imaginary) Railway Companies able to run and be operated once more.

Well I've finally done it and with no missing dependencies or faulty assets just to put the icing on the cake.  I think I need a cup of tea and a little lie down now.

QR9yYlm.jpg 

LIlBRkY.jpg

ATX9DdE.jpg

BRDUsFH.jpg

• Like 13