Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium

I was writing a slightly lengthy report about my trainset and suddenly my page dropped back to the home page and I lost everything so I've gone away to sulk about it.  You can go back to discussing obscure non-railway topics i don't understand now.

• Friendly/supportive 9

27 minutes ago, Annie said:

................ I lost everything so I've gone away to sulk about it.  You can go back to discussing obscure non-railway topics i don't understand now.

Hope you are back soon and I promise to be attentive to the subject of this thread :)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MikeOxon said:

Hope you are back soon and I promise to be attentive to the subject of this thread :)

Thanks Mike.  The thing is it takes me so long to write a post now and make sure it's all correct and readable that having a long post that I'd spent almost half an hour writing suddenly wiped out by a strange software glitch just about brought me to tears.  I've noticed that this forum is a getting more buggy with the passing of time and that whatever passes for the code that is supposed to provide a backup to as  yet unpublished posts is utterly useless since to date all it has ever done is randomly offer me backups of posts that are days old whether I want them or not.

I can either do one of two things, - #1 Give up posting anything altogether, - or #2 write my posts in a word processor and cut and paste them into this thread once I'm happy with them.  I'll give option #2 a go and see how that works since #1 is just a wee bit too extreme even for me.

• Friendly/supportive 7

28 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Don't opt for one Your Forum Needs You!

How could it be Annie's thread without Annie!!!

Mind you, Reid managed to keep the name Neilson Reid after he'd bought out Neilson, because it was the Neilson name that sold locomotives!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

How could it be Annie's thread without Annie!!!

Mind you, Reid managed to keep the name Neilson Reid after he'd bought out Neilson, because it was the Neilson name that sold locomotives!

Jim

See also Waring & Gillow!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I'm feeling better now, - so thanks for all your good wishes and nice comments.  Rather than just sitting and sulking I remembered that I had an old TS2004 Dean Goods model that had a strange mesh fault so I made a fresh pot of tea and settled in to diagnose the problem and repair it.  It was a bit of a tricky problem, but I've almost got it fixed now with just a little bit of tidying up to do to finish the job.  Always a good strategy to distract oneself with an absorbing task when feeling down in the dumps.

I would prefer to have an Armstrong Goods rather than this Dean Goods, but it will do until I can save up my pocket money to get Cameron Scott at Darlington Works to make me one.

388 class - side view.jpg

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Annie said:

I can either do one of two things, - #1 Give up posting anything altogether, - or #2 write my posts in a word processor and cut and paste them into this thread once I'm happy with them.  I'll give option #2 a go and see how that works since #1 is just a wee bit too extreme even for me.

If you're not doing any tricksy formatting, I'd suggest just using Notepad for bashing text in, then as you say, cut'n'paste it into the form for posting.  Once its all gone through, then you can just dump the contents of Notepad, or even save it as text for later reference!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Annie, that loco you’re showing is an Armstrong goods, not a Dean goods. Look at the frames. Carry on and keep posting.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure Annie knew that.  I took Annie to mean, 'here is a picture of the thing I'd prefer - the Armstrong Goods - rather than the thing I'll make do with; the Dean'

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, but I'm pretty sure Annie knew that.  I took Annie to mean, 'here is a picture of the thing I'd prefer - the Armstrong Goods - rather than the thing I'll make do with; the Dean'

Yes in my slightly fuzzy brained way that is exactly what I meant.  My sentence structure wasn't the best, but I think you can take it as read that the day I can't pick out an Armstrong Goods from a Dean Goods is the day I'll have myself handed into the rest home for sing songs around the piano led by a manically patronising 20 year old. ( 'I'm H, A, P, P, Y,  I'm H, A, P, P, Y, - I know I am, I'm sure I am, - I'm H, A, P, P, Y. )

But enough of all that.  The major reason for choosing an Armstrong Goods over a Dean Goods is that it would be relatively inexpensive to commision both a convertible Broad Gauge engine and a standard gauge engine at the same time.

And here's a nice Broad Gauge cheer up picture.  'Great Britain' at Paddington, 21st August 1890.

mAfla2w.jpg

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

And now at work after its rebuild No.2576 heads off into the mysterious West.  

With all the messing about to get a suitable GWR goods engine to run properly and not have faulty configuration issues I haven't had much of a chance to think about goods traffic on the western line.  I'm going to add another dedicated goods loop siding to the semi-hidden return loops at the far end of the layout as well as a couple of sorting sidings for making up goods trains.  Though the other big project will be rebuilding the single track goods branch to Maglaw which used to just end in a portal to now be connected to a good sized sort yard for handling the goods traffic into and out of Moxbury.  I don't think I've ever shown any snaps of this part of the layout before since there's not much that's interesting about it, but hopefully that will change.

84iThn2.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Having mentioned Maglaw I thought I'd better post this snap.  It's taken by a sparrowcam hovering over the view blocker bridge that hid the now redundant portal tracks that pretended to be Maglaw.  The double track line you can see curving off to the right makes a junction with the western line from Moxbury and the single line you can see curving to the left is the goods only line that makes a junction with the line to Moxbury.  If I turned the camera around I'd be facing the north east and that's where the goods sort yard and a return loop will be going.

The landscape between Moxbury and the western semi-hidden loop sidings is a three mile section lifted out of a now very old layout called 'Middle England'.  The thing was huge and took hours to drive a train from one end to the other.  It was a bit too BR dismal error for my liking, but I liked the look of the open countryside section I 'borrowed' to become my Norfolk layout's western extension.  I find landscape sculpting from a flat baseboard to be a bit of a struggle which is why I often 'borrow' other people's landscapes.  The tracklaying on the borrowed section was a crime, but I wasn't worried about that since I'm good at laying track and I had to hugely modify it all anyway.  I had to change all the trees as well and do a far bit of scenic work, but at least I didn't have to shape three miles worth of ground.

1YbMJSZ.jpg

Oh and harking back to the possible cocoa works at Bluebell Magna I thought I'd use this building model as the cocoa works.  The works site was already there, but the space was taken up by a row of nondescript warehouses (made by the Nondescript Warehouse Company), so I thought a cocoa factory would be a better use of the space.  The site needs further work, but I thought I'd leave the factory building there so I can frown at it and make up my mind as to whether I really like it or not.

rMPkKAx.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, if @Annie you do get an Armstrong goods made, I hope it'll be in sensibly-proportioned early condition like No. 699 below, not one with the later style of turkey-dinner dome:

1819455670_GWRArmstrongGoodsS2boilerSG.jpg.a73d5d3d3e84a4274f2e7d0e95f03173.jpg

and of course you can have it both ways:

1856882180_GWRArmstrongGoodsS2boilerBG.jpg.74dc8fc76a6c81cec1a7355832cd09af.jpg

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, if @Annie you do get an Armstrong goods made, I hope it'll be in sensibly-proportioned early condition like No. 699 below, not one with the later style of turkey-dinner dome:

1819455670_GWRArmstrongGoodsS2boilerSG.jpg.a73d5d3d3e84a4274f2e7d0e95f03173.jpg

and of course you can have it both ways:

1856882180_GWRArmstrongGoodsS2boilerBG.jpg.74dc8fc76a6c81cec1a7355832cd09af.jpg

Oooooo what lovely pictures.  Thankyou very much Stephen.

And yes if I commission a pair of Armstrong Goods engines they will be in early condition like these and one of them will definitely be a 'convertible'.

Edited by Annie
More information
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

North eastern loops and sidings in place on the new layout board I fitted into place earlier today.  Still very much WIP at the moment, but my aim is to scenic the new board so it becomes a semi-hidden loop that's disguised by the landscape.  I first tried this out with the western loop sidings and I was surprised at how effective it was,

HtJE2dt.jpg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Annie said:

Oh and harking back to the possible cocoa works at Bluebell Magna I thought I'd use this building model as the cocoa works.  The works site was already there, but the space was taken up by a row of nondescript warehouses (made by the Nondescript Warehouse Company), so I thought a cocoa factory would be a better use of the space.  The site needs further work, but I thought I'd leave the factory building there so I can frown at it and make up my mind as to whether I really like it or not.

rMPkKAx.jpg

Mmmmmmm.....  You can almost smell the chocolate!  A much better factory to live near to than say, a fertiliser plant, or a tanners....

4 hours ago, Annie said:

North eastern loops and sidings in place on the new layout board I fitted into place earlier today.  Still very much WIP at the moment, but my aim is to scenic the new board so it becomes a semi-hidden loop that's disguised by the landscape.  I first tried this out with the western loop sidings and I was surprised at how effective it was,

HtJE2dt.jpg

What you need is a 100 aker wood all around it, with Heffalump traps, etc.  Occasional traffic might include a van of honey jars...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Mmmmmmm.....  You can almost smell the chocolate!  A much better factory to live near to than say, a fertiliser plant, or a tanners....

Yes I was much taken by that great Victorian edifice of a factory and I decided almost immediately that it was going to become the Bluebell Cocoa Works.  One school I attended when I was 12 was right next door to a brewery.  Even now many decades later I cannot abide that particular brand of beer.

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

What you need is a 100 aker wood all around it, with Heffalump traps, etc.  Occasional traffic might include a van of honey jars...

Well trees do enter into the disguise, but such tricks as slightly raising the level of the landscape around the loop help a lot too.  This is the layout's western loop and at footplate level it's very much out of sight.  I still have yet to remove the two portal tracks as they are no longer needed.

Hm, - hunny honey.  Bee hives were sometimes transported by rail and there were all manner of regulations about how to go about that.  I'm sure that Mr Stephen Lea of this parish would know how it was done.  But honey would be very much a possible produce item for at least one of the farms at this western end of the layout.

aaAU8wa.jpg

Edited by Annie
Um.........
  • Like 4