Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Annie said:

Thank you very much Simon.  How many eyes have looked upon my works and only you have told the truth of it.

I have a habit of doing that...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Regularity said:

I have a habit of doing that...

Well I'm glad you did say something.  Looking at the drawing again I'm wondering how I managed to make that mistake with the Ale Truck's underframe.  Anyway hopefully this is an improvement.  I was being lazy earlier on leaving off the 'London & Yarmouth' lettering, but I did it properly this time.

Edit:  The next question I need to ask is whether these van had double sided or single sided brakes.

gKN48El.jpg

Edited by Annie
asked a question
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Given the date of original construction, probably single-sided, and nothing on the other side: not even a lever.

Whether they remained that way is open to question...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Simon.  For my pre WW1 period single sided would be the likely choice then.  The really excellent wooden wagon underframe kit made by a member of the creator group I belong to has a range of plug-in options so it's not difficult to change the brakes if I need to.

On 01/01/2021 at 23:20, AdamsRadial said:

To my mind the 850 were the most elegant saddle tanks of them all, and it is sad to think they all became pannier tanks just because of an obsession with having standard boilers and belpaire fireboxes. Swindon has a lot to answer for...

A new build 850 in saddle tank form would be a very popular locomotive on preserved lines. And a Metro, and a 517 and a 633... There are just far too many small to medium power British loco classes that are extinct, and that's just listing a few GW ones, lots of other companies as well.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

813 is a very cute engine and was quite a hit when it visited the K&ESR a few years ago, but I suppose it's hardly typical of GWR saddle tanks.

With so few of the smaller GWR engines having survived Tom I guess we'll take what we can get.

813-at-bewdley-on-the-svr-in-november-20

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2021 at 18:55, Annie said:

Circa 1900 was the major time for GER wagon building and after that it was only repair and replacements as needed.

That seems to have been pretty much true across the board. The start of the twentieth century saw the end of the growth of the British railway industry. All downhill from 1 Feb 1903.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

That seems to have been pretty much true across the board. The start of the twentieth century saw the end of the growth of the British railway industry. All downhill from 1 Feb 1903.

I noticed that both the GW and the GE opened their diagram books, as it were, with massive programmes of building standardised wagon fleets from the 1880s.  I assume other companies did. The spurt seems to have lasted until the turn of the century and than slackened off. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I noticed that both the GW and the GE opened their diagram books, as it were, with massive programmes of building standardised wagon fleets from the 1880s.  I assume other companies did. The spurt seems to have lasted until the turn of the century and than slackened off. 

Well, the Midland built a few open wagons in the two decades from 1882 to 1902. Not so as you'd notice, though...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I've just obtained the GER wagon index from the GER Society so that should be a little light reading for me.

I know I've said this before, but the GER Society is wonderful to obtain resources and information from.  Their website is delightfully easy to navigate and they are happy to provide information to non-members.  Some other railway societies I've looked at have everything locked up behind members only barriers with absolutely nothing available to the unholy who are not of the chosen elect.

I had horrid bills to pay so I won't be able to join the GER Society until later this month, but it is something that is definitely going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Sidestrand Halt near Cromer.  There's so much delightful detail in this old photo.  It ticks so many boxes with my love of small and obscure railways in rural locations. 

alXjiN0.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

More wagons.  A 1890s built 3 plank fixed side general merchandise wagon.  I had a horrible time making this wagon due to faulty meshes with poor texture mapping, but just as I was on the point of binning the wagon files I found an older version of the wagon mesh that hadn't been messed up and i was able to use that.

pz6UB5A.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

'Squeeeee!'  on-line May edition of Railway Modeller 'Railway of the Month', - 'Norwich Central' (7mm) by Peter Thompson.  A joint GER and Midland & Great Northern station in 7mm scale.

It's all absolutely sooooooo wonderful.  :)

And once again I find myself going to sleep on April 8th and waking up to the May edition of RM.  This is terribly confusing for somebody like me who has narcolepsy.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 06/04/2021 at 22:25, Annie said:

Sidestrand Halt near Cromer.  There's so much delightful detail in this old photo.  It ticks so many boxes with my love of small and obscure railways in rural locations. 

alXjiN0.jpg

What a utilitarian little station!  A well supported nameboard, possibly TWO timetable boards and even an oil lamp near the gate, but not even a rudimentary shelter to protect a solitary passenger from the cruel Easterly winds...

It shall be the model for Drovers Lane Halt on my Midsomer Brevis O-16.5 layout!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

What a utilitarian little station!  A well supported nameboard, possibly TWO timetable boards and even an oil lamp near the gate, but not even a rudimentary shelter to protect a solitary passenger from the cruel Easterly winds...

It shall be the model for Drovers Lane Halt on my Midsomer Brevis O-16.5 layout!

Yes the lack of any form of shelter is a bit grim, but otherwise I've been turning this old photo over in my mind and thinking about where I could place a model based on this delightful scene.

It should work out nicely for an O-16.5 layout and I like the name, - 'Drovers Lane Halt'.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Annie said:

Yes the lack of any form of shelter is a bit grim, but otherwise I've been turning this old photo over in my mind and thinking about where I could place a model based on this delightful scene.

It should work out nicely for an O-16.5 layout and I like the name, - 'Drovers Lane Halt'.

Use the name for your station if you like!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Use the name for your station if you like!

Thanks that's very kind of you.  I'm sure if a bit of exploring was done with old maps a good many 'Drovers Lanes' could be found in rural or former rural areas.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Annie said:

'Squeeeee!'  on-line May edition of Railway Modeller 'Railway of the Month', - 'Norwich Central' (7mm) by Peter Thompson.  A joint GER and Midland & Great Northern station in 7mm scale.

It's all absolutely sooooooo wonderful.  :)

And once again I find myself going to sleep on April 8th and waking up to the May edition of RM.  This is terribly confusing for somebody like me who has narcolepsy.

'Norwich Central' is a delightful layout Annie! I spent most of the 2019 Warley show at the NEC watching that and shirking my duties on the nearby 7mm Narrow Gauge Association stand...:D

I'll try and remember and dig out some photos to post later. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Northroader said:

“Mill Road” is a very neat little Halt, and it’s got a shelter:

411D62A1-DE64-44A6-80C2-CFB5884673C9.jpeg.6efb674810bc0e02a0df4339733c16bd.jpeg

Positive luxury compared to some.  The shelter building is rather neat and could be used for all manner of light railway purposes.

41 minutes ago, NeilHB said:

'Norwich Central' is a delightful layout Annie! I spent most of the 2019 Warley show at the NEC watching that and shirking my duties on the nearby 7mm Narrow Gauge Association stand...:D

I'll try and remember and dig out some photos to post later. 

Thanks very much Neil.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see more photos of that amazing layout. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Annie said:

Positive luxury compared to some.  The shelter building is rather neat and could be used for all manner of light railway purposes.

Thanks very much Neil.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see more photos of that amazing layout. 

Some photos From Warley 2019 posted by @NeilHB here:

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2