Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Annie said:

The lack of Midland engines in Trainz would mean that I'd have to go for at least the 1930s in order to be able to find anything I could run which would be a nuisance, but it looks like the station didn't change much over the years so it wouldn't be a gamebreaker.

You'd want a Kirtley 700 Class 0-6-0, a 1532 Class 0-4-4T, and possibly an 1102 Class 0-6-0T. Could Ed be persuaded to come down from the lofty heights of compounds to do such mundane useful engines?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If they particularly caught Ed's imagination they might happen Stephen, but I really don't like bothering him with engine requests as I'm sure he gets too much of that as it is.  I know he has a personal list of engine he wants to make and I don't think he's finished with compounds yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Here’s a nice cheer up picture, Annie, a Russian Orthodox Church for a change:

Better a Russian Orthodox Church than demolished and turned into a supermarket car park.  

I actually like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

Onion domes in West Norfolk. St.Seraphims praying for the soul of R.Beeching.

59D13EBF-9FF5-4180-B6F8-16157439DB0E.jpeg.c1543f92e9de935356744b8f1f751130.jpeg

It may be worthwhile praying for Richard Beeching's soul, unlike that of Ernest Marples, which can only be considered as a lost cause.

• Agree 1

On 18/01/2022 at 11:31, Compound2632 said:

You'd want a Kirtley 700 Class 0-6-0, a 1532 Class 0-4-4T, and possibly an 1102 Class 0-6-0T. Could Ed be persuaded to come down from the lofty heights of compounds to do such mundane useful engines?

More Midland in the future is certainly a possibility. Unfortunately there are many locos I'd like to model and only so much time to make them in...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Annie said:

Broad Gauge cheer up picture:  Taunton in the 1880s.

There was a topic recently about mixed gauge turntables. Whilst plenty of Australian examples were produced, no-one could offer any positive evidence as to how they were arranged on the Great Western (or Bristol & Exeter etc.) - now we see, in two sizes.

They clearly give rise to the usual mixed gauge frogspawn!

Stop Press: the Lightmoor Press January e-mail newsletter announces Part 3 of the Rev. Canon Brian Arman's opus will be available for pre-order in mid-Feb and in their warehouse in late March. 

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There was a topic recently about mixed gauge turntables. Whilst plenty of Australian examples were produced, no-one could offer any positive evidence as to how they were arranged on the Great Western (or Bristol & Exeter etc.) - now we see, in two sizes.

Yes there's an amazing amount of detail to be found in that old photo.  I'd never been able to find out how a GWR/B&ER mixed gauge turntable was done either until I saw this photo.

The end view of that 1857 horsebox is interesting too.

1857-GWR-Horsebox.jpg

25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Stop Press: the Lightmoor Press January e-mail newsletter announces Part 3 of the Rev. Canon Brian Arman's opus will be available for pre-order in mid-Feb and in their warehouse in late March. 

Audience-Clapping-Gif.gif

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I haven't been very active with doing anything with my digital trainsets lately or even posting here, - mostly because it's our Summer and I've been a lot more sleepy and also because I've had other things that needed my attention.  This morning though I got the feeling that I should go and have a look around my Norfolk layout and I ended up visiting Mirely St Marys.  For a station of some importance on my Norfolk layout Mirely St Marys hasn't always been very well treated and for a good while it existed in a half completed state.  During my last works effort here I finally sorted out the goods yard and installed a cattle dock and then laid the wagon storage and sort sidings for the brickworks.  Possibly I did get a bit carried away with the length of these sidings, but it's better to be too long than too short when it comes to sidings.  Besides during harvest and fruit picking season I'll be needing plenty of siding space for ventilated vans.

8iA95h6.jpg

jwPi4xl.jpg

And then there's the brickworks.  For months now there's been been a collection of kilns and brickworks sheds dumped in a field next to a big hole in the ground with the stub of some trackwork pointing vaguely at it.  So this morning I decided that I was going to make the Pyramid Brick Co of Mirely St Mays look something like what it was supposed to be.  I make no claims towards prototype fidelity as I don't really have much of a clue beyond knowing that kilns are involved and that the kiln models I have are reasonably accurate.  Sheds for doing things with clay are required and I had models of those too, - so then what I did was place these model buildings how I'd seen them positioned according to old OS maps and finish laying the trackwork.  I found some 18 inch gauge track so I laid that about the kilns and sheds in what seemed to be a useful manner and decided that it would all do for now.  I will come back and do some more detailing later on, but essentially the Pyramid Brick Co is now open for business.

In case anybody is wondering there really was a Pyramid Brick Co because a team of archaeologists on a dig down in a 19th century era cellar found some bricks with Pyramid branding.  Only problem is nobody knows where the brickworks itself was sited, - which of course gives me a perfect excuse to lay claim to the name.

PBkxoVI.jpg

It was very nice to be able to take these wagons out of my digital trainset box and place them in the sidings.

AOO7NIb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Not exactly a cheer up picture:  This one comes via the Bowes Railway and is a vintage snap taken of a slight mishap on the Hetton Colliery Railway.  I blame the Flash seen here in his secret flat 'at disguise caught by the camera before he darted off again.

dlz9lBz.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Annie said:

Not exactly a cheer up picture:  This one comes via the Bowes Railway and is a vintage snap taken of a slight mishap on the Hetton Colliery Railway.  I blame the Flash seen here in his secret flat 'at disguise caught by the camera before he darted off again.

dlz9lBz.jpg

I thought that fitting a P4 wheel set would have been easier than it turned out.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Poor unfortunate saddle tank being laughed at.

The small MPD at Tenpenny Wharf tends to collect all manner of engines it doesn't really have a use for so I went and requisitioned the larger of the two Aveling & Porters to become the Pyramid Brick Company's new shunting engine.  The smaller Brill Tramway based Aveling & Porter would have been bullied around too much shunting wagon loads of bricks and besides with its low axle weight it's more useful working around the wharf and warehouse sidings where the track is a bit less than best in places.

vw8NZyA.jpg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

Good to see Kentish engines (or perhaps more correctly engines of Kent?) being Really Useful.

Tom, the Aveling & Porter engines that I have were made for Trainz TS2004 by Steve Flanders and the late Ricky Sykes and I've spent some time making new engine spec config files for them as the old ones weren't all that good.  I've since passed the new files onto Steve so he can update these models on his website.

These A&P engines really are a lot of fun to drive and up until now they have been working on the light railway and tramway sections of my Norfolk layout.  With some A&P engines having found work at brickworks and cement works I decided that this particular one would be ideal for the Pyramid Brick Co.

I've posted some of these pictures before, but not to worry.  This is the other A&P based on the ones that worked on the Wotton Tramway/Brill Tramway.

7ICYq1a.jpg

IDe3z9e.jpg

yrUi2Ca.jpg

9hpRFVg.jpg

• Like 5