Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Apologies for raising the concern, but I thought it was for the best. ;) 

Yes Sem despite the shock of being told, it was for the better that I now know the hideous truth.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Well, if I have saved another soul then I may be comforted by that fact. I must not rest, however, and shall one day venture forth into the dismal groups within this forum and attempt to save more.

( :P )

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well that's much better.  Fortunately there were only three carriage types that required correction so it didn't take long to do.

It seems that the reason why the PLL team didn't use the proper P III coaches was that Auran/N3V got in first with claiming a set of LMS P III coaches from their maker and once their config scripted payware mark went on them the PLL team couldn't use them.  The PLL team would have had to make their own P III models from scratch, - and I suppose that was what they intended to do, but it seems it never happened.  PLL was a big project and I suppose in the aftermath of completing it the team were just tired of it and moved on.  There's really only one of the original team active now and they are only playing caretaker for the project and not doing any further work on it.  

There is an updated version of PLL which was submitted to Auran/N3V for inclusion in Trainz, but it's never seen the light of day since then to everyone's annoyance.

edG9qxq.jpg

• Like 4

image.png.e56242243ed6b02dfd76ec006355b41b.png

1958 and 30337 is a long, long, way from her Guildford home as she works a Padstow to Exeter (Central) All Stations Stopper. The location is Teigngrace, on the ex-LSWR route from Okehampton to Newton Abbot. Usually this train would reverse at Heathfield before taking the old LSWR road up towards Exeter St Thomas down the Teign Valley line, but it is presumed that engineering work has caused a diversion via the ex-GWR route along the coast through Dawlish. The loco would be withdrawn in December that year.

What do you mean the Newton Abbot - Heathfield branch wasn't LSWR? Look! Here's another photo proving it, showing the old Newton Abbot East (LSWR) station in about 1963, after terminating services had been diverted to the ex-GWR station just to the West.

image.png.8ab154a885b472f44e119cfc22f85b0c.png

Quite a fun modification of a GWR branch line route. I actually intend to mostly run it in late-1920s form, but fancied playing with the 2H (Heresy, I know, but it's of the Southern Electric family...). I was keen to make this come across as an ex-LSWR route as opposed to simply being a generic 'Southern' route with bits from all constituents, as sometimes happens with these sims.

image.png.094ea8db01fb1569473eaa0c4ccf4422.png

First up was to use mostly LSWR signalling equipment. I have used a few SR Lattice and Rail post signals to reflect more modern additions to the track layout, but a good portion of it is LSWR lower-quadrant with those intriguing LSWR/Stevens & Co. 'Flap' ground signals.

The railway buildings come from both the Mid Hants Railway route and a route which depicts the real ex-LSWR Okehampton - Exeter route, with a few bits and pieces drawn from another ex-LSWR route and from the Isle of Wight network route.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

The Broad Gauge wagon project is drawing to a close.  Here's all the variations on parade on the Minehead branch.  I will be doing re-skins on these generic wagons and I've already shown the odd snap of some of my WIP retextures.  A fair bit of work to be done on my part, but it will definitely be worth it. 

YckMb7y.jpg

LaCennR.jpg

UHsU6GG.jpg

8HjYv9x.jpg

JZS6BQi.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

In 1938 Stoke shed had two Jumbos who had the special job of working over a branchline that had severe weight restrictions.  I would imagine when the BR got their nasty hands on them they were quick to scrap them the same as they did with the other very few remaining LNWR engines.  Nasty modernist scrappers, I hope they are now hard at work shovelling out the ash pits down in Hell.

But I digress.  The survival of these two Jumbos of course fits into my plans perfectly since I can use them to replace the LMS group standard 0-6-0s on PLL.  In case you are wondering about the brake van, there were a number of LMS brake van models with awkward faults I really couldn't be bothered fixing so I simply substituted the LNWR van model.  At some stage I will re-letter them for the LMS.

e4UcFFD.jpg

GDTxJhu.jpg

HwdhlIq.jpg

L9XDsmN.jpg

4vKI1mO.jpg

• Like 3

Annie, A couple of daft questions if I may... Top picture just above here, Does the animation of the terrain include variations in the height of the container of the gas holder (in the background) to reflect the time of day?  In reality they tended to be at a higher level early morning, gradually loose height during the day and be topped up again at night. the coke ovens producing the gas worked 24 /7 usually, although perhaps not in more non-industrial and rural areas.

Secondly, did Birchenwood Colliery really supply coal to the West Country?

PS. Like the new avatar..  a self-portrait ? you said you were tall and slim a couple of pages ago..? 

Edited by DonB
grammar

• RMweb Premium

Ex-NSR class L in original condition.  I know I got annoyed with Paul of Paulz Trainz a while ago, but one of the good things about his simple models is that I can load them into any of the Trainz versions including TS2019 and they work without any fuss or bother.

No. 575 is running in TS2012 because I wanted to find out how to change engines and rakes of coaches without breaking anything.  It's just a bit easier to fix PLL in TS2012 and since I've already managed to break it once and had to load it into TS2012 again this is definitely an advantage.  If I broke PLL in TANE I could be in for a full days work to get it up and running again.

7h9toxw.jpg

I might not end up using an original condition 'L' class in PLL since I have rebuilt 'L' class engines as well, but we shall see.  Now I know how to change engines and rolling stock in a session file and have them work properly I'll put my brave girl Tee shirt on and try the same thing in TANE.

MJbE4BI.jpg

No. 575 did fine by the way and completed the passenger service on time and without any problems so the big Fowler tank engines days might be numbered.  

7pPoiDW.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, DonB said:

Annie, A couple of daft questions if I may... Top picture just above here, Does the animation of the terrain include variations in the height of the container of the gas holder (in the background) to reflect the time of day?  In reality the tended to be at a higher level early morning, gradually loose height during the day and be topped up again at night. the coke ovens producing the gas worked 24 /7 usually, although perhaps not in more non-industrial and rural areas.

Secondly, did Birchenwood Colliery really supply coal to the West Country?

PS. Like the new avatar..  a self-portrait ? you said you were tall and slim a couple of pages ago..? 

As far as I'm aware Don there are no animated gas holder models available for Trainz.  Some do have variations in height, but they are static models.  I can ask on the creator group though since if anyone would know the members of the group I belong to would be able to tell me if somebody made one.

Now I would have to do some checking about just where Birchenwood Colliery sent coal to since I don't really know.  I've only just started to look at the Stoke area and the Loop Line now that I've finally got PLL to work properly.

If some kind soul gave me an outfit like the one worn by my avatar and I gave myself a bit of a scrub up I could manage to look the same Don.  Yes I'm tall and skinny slim and while I looked fairly weedy when I was young I don't look too bad all things considered now that I'm officially a senior citizen.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My really good Logitech mouse has gone on the fritz.  At first I thought it was just me being sleepy when the wrong files would get opened or when I didn't seem to be able to cut and paste parts of textures correctly in Paint.NET, but it wasn't me making mistakes it was the tiny brain in my posh mouse succumbing to dementia.

So I'm having to use a standard office quality corded mouse at the moment and it's like having to ride a Honda 50 scooter after riding a Matchless 500 single so I'm not very impressed.  (Fun fact: I did actually own a big Matchless single cylinder motorcycle when I was younger, but like a fool I sold it.)

I think it was the Devastation of Truro that might have killed off my posh mouse.  Sooooo many mouse clicks were needed to bring justice to that expanse of modernity so perhaps I shall bury it with full military honors.

It's raining here at last and the nasty Summer temperatures have dropped like a stone.  More, more I say, more clouds, more rain........

80OeJmU.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Something I always thought a bit odd about PLL was that all the goods wagons, - apart from the PO ones, - were LMS standard types as if no other railway but the LMS existed in Britain. 

I'm gradually getting my head around how PLL is constructed from layers nested down on top of one another with different components of the layout being attached to their own layer.  I've never used this technique myself as it's all a bit much for my silly sleepy brain to understand properly, but I can see how it works in PLL.  The railway is attached to its own layer and now that I've found it I'm gradually replacing some goods wagons that are a bit too late period for what I want with older ones as well as adding goods wagons from other railways into the yards.  It seems like I'm aiming for the early grouping period which means that I'll be able to run my original condition red liveried 'L' class and my red liveried 'B' class engines.  As you would have noticed I have some red liveried small boilered Claughtons, - three in fact, - and it's nice to be able to give them a run.

XCITBSP.jpg

I've changed out all the PII suburbans for Midland suburbans and eventually I'll get around to relettering them for the LMS.  They are acting as a catchall representation for whatever pre-grouping carriages would have still been in use at this time.  I much prefer their shorter length as compared to the P II coaches actually.  There's now also a rake of P1 corridor coaches in the carriage yard replacing a rake of Mk1 fakes.  Possibly using LNWR coaches and Midland clerestories (both Bain and Clayton types) on the express that rushes across the layout from time to time is a bit over the top, but I don't often get to give them a run.  For me to retexture the LNWR coaches into LMS livery would be a crime so I'm not going to do it.  The Midland coaches just need relettering since this was what was most probably done to them anyway .  (Am I now on a LMS coach livery purist's hit list?)

I may look at what's involved with getting my other ex-NSR engines into early LMS livery.  It just depends what the models' texture look like and how easy it will be to modify them.  I also need to do some work on  a couple of ex-LNWR classes so that the last of the LMS group standard classes can be given the push.

• Like 4

On 10/11/2019 at 02:54, Annie said:

but it wasn't me making mistakes it was the tiny brain in my posh mouse succumbing to dementia.

I have that effect on Meeces all the time, six months and they're random click and Brownian Motion generators.  Its probably a family thing, my sister has the same effect on wrist watches....

On 10/11/2019 at 07:41, RedGemAlchemist said:

If you want plenty of that just come visit Britain.

Seconded, we had Sleet on Saturday.

7 minutes ago, Annie said:

Things move a little closer on the B&ER Vulcan 4-4-0ST front.

cw4aUP7.jpg

I do like the pre-occupation the B&E had with curious tank locomotives for Express services!

LeopardInTheSnow.jpg.94d8d8a9aa7e73184963a390e700d7b2.jpg

Frozen Leopard, Burlscombe 1891.  http://www.devonheritage.org/Places/Burlescombe/BurlescombeintheGreatStormof1891.htm

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I have that effect on Meeces all the time, six months and they're random click and Brownian Motion generators.  Its probably a family thing, my sister has the same effect on wrist watches....

I do like the pre-occupation the B&E had with curious tank locomotives for Express services!

Frozen Leopard, Burlscombe 1891.  http://www.devonheritage.org/Places/Burlescombe/BurlescombeintheGreatStormof1891.htm

As ugly duckling like as those 4-4-0ST engines looked they were actually a successful design and were well liked by their crews.  Very much a mixed traffic design they could handle any kind of traffic on the lines where they could be found at work.

Sleet might be a bit extreme, but rain I always welcome since it brings our nasty Summer temperatures down to bearable levels.

I can't wear a battery powered wrist watch since I seem to make them stop working after a couple of days.  I much prefer a proper clockwork watch anyway and have owned some nice ones over the years.

Mice though, I think mine just get hammered to death with all the re-texture work I do.  I was advised by other digital creators to get a gaming mouse this time since they are made with reinforced heavy duty switches and can be adjusted for movement sensitivity to a great degree than an 'office' quality mouse.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Going back a few posts to PLL, your Jumbos are actually Cauliflowers but none the worse for that.

The LNWR goods brake van is rather nice.

Oops, that's me getting the name wrong while sleepy.  Yes they are indeed Cauliflowers and they are very nicely made models by Paul Hobbs.

With the goods brake van there's a story behind that.   I was making LNWR wagons a few months ago and I remarked to a fellow member of the creator group I belong to that it was a pity that there wasn't a brake van to go with them.  Later the next day he said, Here you go', and gave me a LNWR brake van!  He'd made the model the previous evening after our conversation and while it's gone through some minor improvements since then it's essentially the same brake van he made to complement my wagons.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

Speaking as a person who uses a tank engine for his own top end trains much of the time, I have no issue with that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Speaking as a person who uses a tank engine for his own top end trains much of the time, I have no issue with that. 

I've nothing against the 4-4-0 tanks, they look squat and purposeful, and I suppose for the extent of the original B&E system, there was adequate room for coal and water.  However, the Pearson 4-2-4 Well Tanks were a bit odder.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_and_Exeter_Railway_4-2-4T_locomotives

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I've nothing against the 4-4-0 tanks, they look squat and purposeful, and I suppose for the extent of the original B&E system, there was adequate room for coal and water.  However, the Pearson 4-2-4 Well Tanks were a bit odder.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_and_Exeter_Railway_4-2-4T_locomotives

Again despite their strange appearance to modern eyes they were a successful design that worked well on the Broad Gauge.  After one derailed the GWR got in a panic and rebuilt them into somewhat bland looking tender engines, but the fault wasn't with Mr Peason's engine as it seems that the trackwork at the derailment site was the problem and cause of the derailment.

The Pearson 4-2-4 well tanks were the engines that sparked off my interest in the Broad Gauge back in my teenage years.  One glance at a photo of one when I was but a young slip of a girl and it fair turned my head.

I have an older digital model of No.40 in GWR livery and it's nice engine to drive.

Ch5Qt6B.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Striking, but the concept of not having flanges on the driving wheels is...  odd...

I should imagine that when the GWR rebuilt them to 4-2-2 tender locos, they increased their useful range and perhaps put new tyres with flanges on them, to reduce possible failure modes.

• RMweb Premium

It's not easy to find pictures of the rebuilt Pearson well tanks and the ones I've got aren't very clear.  I know the GWR reduced the size of the driving wheels when they were rebuilt, but as to whether or not the new wheels were flanged or not I don't know.

JFErF8Q.jpg

mHIxpvJ.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Testing on a revised PLL continues.  I've finally managed to eliminate Fowler 4P tank engines making surprise appearances with a 'Ha ha, - you thought you'd got rid of me didn't you'.  The class 'L' 0-6-2T engines are now properly in charge of suburban passenger services helped out on a couple of runs  by a pair of class 'B' 2-4-0Ts.  The fact that I'm quite happy to run these older simple digital models alongside later more detailed ones is no doubt rooted in my time spent working in coarse scale 'O' gauge.  Both classes of engine run well and do what they are supposed to so I'm happy with them.

Snaps are in order of me taking them and are intended to give an impression of the line between Waterloo Road and Kidsgrove.  (Most probably not a good one since I fluffed a few snaps and had to leave them out.)

StJxHUt.jpg

bIDoKk7.jpg

The team that built PLL had also previously built the BR S&C route (another huge undertaking) so they reused quite a few S&C buildings in PLL, - which is why they are in BR colours.

LWDzY8u.jpg

viXDLLw.jpg

Kidsgrove Halt.

1KlWaHZ.jpg

Heading back after running round at Kidsgrove.

uimeHss.jpg

Newchapel & Goldhill.

MpNGSxN.jpg

116YE9i.jpg

Stoke on Trent.

Se1U6GI.jpg

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Like 3