Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium

mZHbJgx.jpg

I had a really good day yesterday and was able to work on the E&GR's line to Great Mulling for several hours before I had to stop and sleep.  It was a very Autumn like day and the temperatures stayed cool instead of climbing to 30 degrees like they had been all week.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

More snaps taken at Eastlingwold.

The new push-pull set about to leave platform 2 at Eastlingwold.  The ex-NER driving composite looks like a TtTE coach that's had too much coffee.

nwYVZLE.jpg

Under test on the brand new branchline to Great Sudden.  This snap was taken while the new push-pull set was on its way to the branchline junction.  Great Sudden itself is represented by a portal, but Less Sudden and its small harbour is very much a part of the branchline.  Still lots to do, but trains can be run over the branchline..

YZsVVzf.jpg

I forgot to put in the speed limit markers along the branchline tracks so with 'Eastlingwold' being a Terrier it wanted to play at being an express.  Fortunately the driving composite is speed governed to no more than 30 mph so no real harm done apart from the passengers wishing that their arrival at the station could have done with being less sudden.  :lol:

WGG2dZw.jpg

Driving composite 3rd class compartment.

aAJHQM7.jpg

Yet another set of shockingly tight 'S' bends on a really severe gradient had to be realigned just past Eastlingwold and this is the very newly completed cutting still in need of some final scenic touches and the boundary fencing put in place.

MJXWM6I.jpg

E&GR Beyer Peacock No.3 arriving at Eastlingwold.

hrB2bC4.jpg

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmmm...... kicks tyres and checks to see if the serial number hasn't been filed off and if it's been given a quick respray over a lot of body filler.  Looks like a New Year and not a used one to me Mike.

As is usual for me I found myself wondering why the neighbours were letting off fireworks around 12.00am.  Since I'd managed to lose Monday earlier in the week that shouldn't be so surprising.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Track testing on the new line to Great Mulling.  Great Mulling itself is a great mess, but at least on the mainline trains can run through the station.  Over the next few weeks all the final finishing and general scenic work will get done, but at least now all the layout boards are joined up properly together.

It takes just over an hour now for a train leaving Great Mulling to arrive at Moxbury.

m5SHZxS.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 01/01/2020 at 10:53, MikeOxon said:

your branch lines seem to have lots of tracks!  and why the 'wrong line' working?

The push-pull set was being driven from the driving composite in that picture Mike so it was heading towards Great Mulling.  I know it's confusing because the driver is still in the engine's cab, but whatever magic scripting might be required to get him to move to the coach's driving compartment or for the headcode on the engine to shift to the back of the coach is way beyond my abilities.

After all my latest work on completing the E&CR line to Great Mulling I haven't properly checked the distance, but with the average speed for the journey over the E&GR and then the B&FER's line to Moxbury being about 28 mph it's looking to be very much a believable kind of train journey as regards distance.  I won't be pushing on any further since after Great Mulling the line makes a junction connection with the GER and if I model that I might be required to explain just where exactly in Norfolk my little railway empire is.

Edit: The distance between Moxbury and Great Mulling is about 30 Trainz scale miles.

Edited by Annie
More information
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Annie said:

The push-pull set was being driven from the driving composite in that picture Mike so it was heading towards Great Mulling.  .............

Of course! Silly me.  I'm a bit fuddled with New Year celebrations :drink_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Annie said:

I won't be pushing on any further since after Great Mulling the line makes a junction connection with the GER and if I model that I might be required to explain just where exactly in Norfolk my little railway empire is.

If you had a section after Great Mulling with a sparkly vortex, or something like the psychadelic sequence in 2001 to indicate bursting through the fold in the map, you could end up anywhere in Norfolk you liked with no need to explain anything!

You can tell this is morning-after-the-night-before reasoning, can't you?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A sparkly vortex? - that would be nice.  The layout has portals at its outer ends already which represent the rest of Norfolk and Lincolnshire & etc, but they are just boring ones with no special effects or sparkly lights.

Latest snaps from Great Mess Great Mulling.  I'm at that WIP stage where I've got past frowning at everything and hating it to just frowning at everything so I'm making progress.

Great Mulling station.  This is more or less something like I want.  Great Mulling has a longer overall roof than Moxbury, but it's not as wide.  This particular overall roof kit is about the best of what is available in terms of flexibility of use and sizing.  There are some seriously large roof models available which are based on those from major terminal stations which are nice, but not suitable; some roof models that are got up with details from the modern error which can't be removed, - so I'm definitely not using those; and some roof models that are either not made very well or are just plain odd, - which puts them out of the running too.

The platforms and the tracks through the station are very likely to be changed and realigned, but as they are at the moment they do allow for trains to be run until such time as I've done enough frowning at it and make a start on getting it into its final form.  The central line through the station is a goods only line which I decided is very much a E&GR thing since slow moving mineral trains are very much a part of traffic on the line.

IlUCOhm.jpg

KFj7ptA.jpg

2qMMsgD.jpg

YGHssur.jpg

E&GR Beyer Peacock single No.23 still wearing the old E&GR green livery and a visiting W.N.R. E.B. Wilson 2-4-0  simmer quietly outside the engine shed at Great Mulling.

The engine shed is one of a series of older models I re skinned /re textured for Melton Constable, but after frowning at it for some time I've decided I don't like it.  These particular old models are horrible to re-texture since they use a small brickwork texture patch that repeats across all the walls and unless a lot attention is given to the colour of the individual bricks represented on the patch it all turns into an unlikely looking repeating mosaic.  I will have another go at it since I would like to use these engines sheds and workshops at Great Mulling.

Placeholder buildings representing the 'works' at Great Mulling can be seen in the background.  

nwzpMFr.jpg

35EDCzN.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/12/2019 at 21:37, Annie said:

Ha ha, - yes of course, - I'd forgotten about that one.  However painting one in GER blue with GER on the tank sides would have been a step too far methinks.

Too close a resemblance to this?

GER-S56-87;01.jpg

• Like 2

On 03/01/2020 at 01:33, Annie said:

A sparkly vortex? - that would be nice.  The layout has portals at its outer ends already which represent the rest of Norfolk and Lincolnshire & etc, but they are just boring ones with no special effects or sparkly lights.

Latest snaps from Great Mess Great Mulling.  I'm at that WIP stage where I've got past frowning at everything and hating it to just frowning at everything so I'm making progress.

Great Mulling station.  This is more or less something like I want.  Great Mulling has a longer overall roof than Moxbury, but it's not as wide.  This particular overall roof kit is about the best of what is available in terms of flexibility of use and sizing.  There are some seriously large roof models available which are based on those from major terminal stations which are nice, but not suitable; some roof models that are got up with details from the modern error which can't be removed, - so I'm definitely not using those; and some roof models that are either not made very well or are just plain odd, - which puts them out of the running too.

The platforms and the tracks through the station are very likely to be changed and realigned, but as they are at the moment they do allow for trains to be run until such time as I've done enough frowning at it and make a start on getting it into its final form.  The central line through the station is a goods only line which I decided is very much a E&GR thing since slow moving mineral trains are very much a part of traffic on the line.

IlUCOhm.jpg

KFj7ptA.jpg

2qMMsgD.jpg

YGHssur.jpg

E&GR Beyer Peacock single No.23 still wearing the old E&GR green livery and a visiting W.N.R. E.B. Wilson 2-4-0  simmer quietly outside the engine shed at Great Mulling.

The engine shed is one of a series of older models I re skinned /re textured for Melton Constable, but after frowning at it for some time I've decided I don't like it.  These particular old models are horrible to re-texture since they use a small brickwork texture patch that repeats across all the walls and unless a lot attention is given to the colour of the individual bricks represented on the patch it all turns into an unlikely looking repeating mosaic.  I will have another go at it since I would like to use these engines sheds and workshops at Great Mulling.

Placeholder buildings representing the 'works' at Great Mulling can be seen in the background.  

nwzpMFr.jpg

35EDCzN.jpg

Well, here I was, greatly admiring the station architecture, the magnificent trainshed roof, the lack of white platform edging, the cadre of 'period people' and the splendid horse 'buses (more of those, please), when, scrolling down, I lighted open two splendid old engines and a piece of WNR history!

Excellent stuff!

759286066_EGRBeyerPeacock2-2-2No.23WNREBWilson2-4-0_2jpg.jpg.38258431cd33a7509883c4afb1399d7b.jpg

22060816_EGRBeyerPeacock2-2-2No.23WNREBWilson2-4-0.jpg.1d6eba041091da32f8a9a6df3dcfe59f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you James.  The W.N.R. E.B Wilson 2-4-0 had been languishing about unused so I decided that it should put in an appearance.  With the lines between Moxbury and Great Mulling now fully functional, - though with scenic work still to complete, - I'm thinking about what train services would be running between these two stations and from further afield and I would like to have a W.N.R. passenger train put in an appearance.  I'm already attaching W.N.R. coaches and luggage vans to some of my passenger trains so it would be nice to have a W.N.R. passenger train on the timetable.

Things at Great Mulling are still a bit WIP, but it is moving closer to a completed state.  Next time I'm working on the layout I'll take some better pictures of the horse buses for you.

62RAkWS.jpg

And another small triumph.  I finally came up with a brick texture for the engine shed and works at Great Mulling that I can stand the sight of.

sZ38y8m.jpg

acOkzb4.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, auldreekie said:

Blimey.  Great Mulling bids fair to be a significant railway town in some Norfolk/Fenny/ LNWR (?) otherworld.....

auldreekie

Happy New Year auldreekie.  I'd very much planned Great Mulling to be a significant railway town right from the start.  Even when for a very long time it was a destination beyond a portal at the edge of the layout in the 'great out there' I had it clear in my mind that the station would be large with an over roof and the workshops for the E&GR (Eastlingwold & Great Mulling) would be there.

The W.N.R. is the West Norfolk Railway which is Edwardian's own 'what-if' pre-grouping railway project and a while ago now I put together a couple of engines (by E.B. Wilson) and some coaches and rolling stock based on the historical notes and stock list he had drawn up for his own project.  The occasional LNWR saloon coach and luggage van does get get attached to passenger trains arriving via Moxbury though, but no LNWR engines themselves turn up on my layout.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Annie said:

but no LNWR engines themselves turn up on my layout.

Is that a decision based upon plainless of design or plainness of livery?  :jester:

Or that the E&GR is a vortex too far, even for the LNWR.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I own a small handful of LNWR engines, - not by design, - but because so few decent models of LNWR engines are made for Trainz.  I like them and I run them elsewhere, but yes, even with my ability to tear up maps and sticky tape them back together in wildly imaginative configurations I don't think I could manage to have LNWR trains running on the E&GR, or any of the other minor lines on my layout.  As it is it's a monumental stretch to have GCR trains running on the layout, but that's really a legacy thing since the layout did originally start out as a GCR layout.  Annnnnnd then I developed an interest in railways in Norfolk and everything grew from there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Less Sudden station now complete.  Much fun with getting the Terrier and its driving composite to behave itself and not shake all the passengers into jelly on some of the branchline's tighter curves.  'Eastlingwold' has a secret desire to be an express engine so I have to be very particular with how I place the speed restrictions along the branch.  Trainz doesn't really handle propelled passenger coaches very well so I've had to do a tricky work around with making the driving composite a faux locomotive in order for this push-pull set to work properly.

iyMxTWv.jpg

And for Edwardian a couple of snaps of Horse buses.  I also have GER one in teak that I use.  I have some others too, but they are sign written for places that are definitely not in Norfolk.  One day when I'm feeling brave I might see if I can edit their really exquisitely done textures a little.

3dyMElz.jpg

vpCiO4J.jpg

• Like 5