Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium

Ha! The sniffy little Dell notebook is no match for my cleverness.

Pictures!  There were more, but they were of WIP parts of the layout and I hated them because they looked a mess

I finally have the trackwork connections laid to the old B&FER line to Foxhollow and the GER-GCR joint line is now connected to the junction on the something or another line to wherever.  As I said this is all WIP and not fit to be seen even though trains are able run over the new trackwork.

And at last Foxwood is back!  I'd carefully archived  Foxwood station and village away since I wanted to return it to my GER Norfolk layout and yesterday I was able to do that.  Quite a bit of detailing remains to be done, but otherwise I'm very happy with Foxwood.

Beyond Foxwood is the large station at Foxhollow, but since I've had enough of building big stations just lately Foxhollow is represented by portal for now.

HwZ6gqY.jpg

odare1U.jpg

A task involving a good deal of mind numbing tedium has been removing all the weeds along the E&GR main line and repairing lineside fencing.  The original layout builder seemed to think that the lineside was a highly fertile zone where the weeds would grow bigger and more thickly than in the surrounding landscape.  He also had a thing about busted lineside fencing which is always going to be a winner on a rural line.  I'm not talking about short sections of fence either, - there would be hundreds of yards of it as if a great herd of irritated mammoths had stamped all over it.

But we are getting somewhere with it now and while there are still some small patches of weeds and wildflowers along the line it all looks much better.  Definitely a case of less is more.

No.34 with a passenger service to Great Mulling.

xkO2RKH.jpg

The first two stations on the Grimwold branch, - Oakmarket Town and Monkton Bywater, - serve fairly sizeable towns so I didn't think it would be very likely that this part of the branch would be a weedy mess.  So what I did was make the branchline branch off again to the newly created town of Blakely (actually a portal) while the Grimwold branch continues on towards the quarries that are the lifeblood of the branch.  There are a few small single platform stations on this section that serve small towns and the rural communities along the line, but from Blakely junction onwards travelling the line is a bit of an intrepid experience.

Blakely junction.

pLKOJfx.jpg

Beyond Blakely junction.

AmR1O2g.jpg

I fell asleep while my trainset was running and when I woke up it was about 6.00pm on the layout so I took some snaps.  Having not run my trainset much at night I couldn't help but notice that some of the stations needed more lamps installing on their platforms.  Another little job for me to do.

E&GR No.28 with a late evening train heading for Bluebell Magna..

SVucPj9.jpg

H.T.Co. No.4 waits for signals at Bluebell Magna with an 'all stations' train to Great Mulling.

7S8UuAa.jpg

A B&FER 'Sharpie' with a passenger train from Foxhollow heading for Moxbury. (The coaches are old TS2004 models and don't have interior lighting).

az2u7kX.jpg

A GCR 9J in charge of a fish train passes through Little Keldon on the GER-GCR joint line.

7qo56BK.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I think your carriage interior lighting needs a more yellow tint.  One of my childhood memories is of getting onto buses in winter and feeling the cosiness of the rather dim yellowish lighting inside. They were low wattage electric bulbs and I expect gas and oil lamps would show the effect even more strongly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I agree Mike.  I'm not really sure how to make changes to the carriage lighting as I've never done anything like that before, but I'll see if I can find out how and make adjustments.

Edit: The 'bright light' GER coaches are incredibly complex with lots of mesh parts fitted together like a Chinese puzzle and doing the repair I did a while ago with improving the appearance of the teak finish was just about enough to make my brain fall over.  I can't see anything obvious anywhere that could adjust the night lighting and when I checked against my E&GR teak 6 wheelers that have a warmer coloured interior light I was still none the wiser.

My feeling is that the lighting effects are set in the mesh itself beyond the reach of any editing tools I have at my disposal so I'm just going to have to put up with too bright night lighting with the GER coaches on my layout.

Edited by Annie
much more to say

• RMweb Premium

Various snaps taken at Hopewood on Sea.

Two views of the main street.  These views can't be seen from either the tramway or the GER-GCR joint line, but I know they are there.

3JQ9hUq.jpg

Looks like Uncle Harry has come to stay.  Hopefully the sea air will put a bit of colour in his cheeks.

43xGxKX.jpg

I finally got around to placing some people on the promenade pier.  I should add a few more since it's looking awfully deserted.  I searched everywhere, but I couldn't find any bandsmen for the band rotunda on the pier.

v5qqUCo.jpg

Just let me say I am not responsible for this.  The original layout builder put together this signal gantry at what is now Great Mulling; - which has me a bit foxed to tell the truth since he didn't bother with signals anywhere else.

Somewhere in amongst all that some of it seems to be functional though since trains do seem to be finding their way Ok without bumping into each other.

Bill from the Great Mulling works paint shop told me it would all be fine once it gets a coat of paint.  Something tells me that Bill might have been in the army at one time or another.

Dmqh4ab.jpg

A GCR 9J takes the morning goods train from Bluebell Woods over the new layout section for the first time.

I have done some tidying up on the new section, but there's still a lot to do.  I did some further work on the new junction section today and I don't hate it so much now.

I still haven't decided what line the junction has made a junction with yet.  The trouble is all the likely contenders are severely under represented with engines and rolling stock in Trainz

udJ03K9.jpg

xm7xodR.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Blakely Junction: if you have one of HMRI's officers round you'll be in hot water. They really didn't like the sort of arrangement you've got there. They would normally insist on a double junction, with the double track converging to single beyond the junction. How is a train signalled onto the branch?

I really do like the Hopewood-on-Sea street scenes - they really capture that atmosphere of that sort of place.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes I will admit the arrangement at Blakely junction isn't the proper kind of thing at all and after I did it I thought it looked a bit rough.  Possibly if the branch was goods/minerals only they might get away with it, but it is a passenger carrying line so I'll have a look at relaying it again.

Hopewood on Sea is one of the oldest parts of the layout and while it's had some additional small details added lately it is still pretty much as I first built it.  It's still my favourite part of the layout too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I found some more snaps I took of the K&ESR in Winter layout.  Some of them are older ones you might have seen before, but I don't think anyone will mind.

2ZOausd.jpg

dvxSD5Q.jpg

BQMOvHx.jpg

TqUWSin.jpg

v30hsPr.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I think this new one will do me for a while Mike.  But should I ever come across a second hand Cray cheap I'm sure I could find a suitably terrific name for for it.

xH7Tga0.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

Some lovely images posted Annie, since i last visited.

I agree about digital imaging facilitating striking snow scenes, but how satisfying also that you have such rich street views and haunting pier scenes hidden away in your virtual layouts. The four mast sailing ship standing off the pier and the figures reminded me of Caspar David Friedrich's melancholy paintings

GER carriages and lighting

Those who know far more about rolling stock will put me right, but I seem to remember from riding steam suburban GER carriages in East London before Nationalisation that the lighting was gas - so less bright, and that partitions between compartments were only the height of the upholstered seats. As school kids we could stand on the seats and look over (through the string luggage rack) and annoy the other compartments.

Might that be easier for you to model digitally?

dh

PS

We have the first snow drops of spring outside now after an awful wet & windy winter, so cooler days may not be too far away for you'

Edited by runs as required
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much RaR.  I certainly have a lot of fun with my GER Norfolk layout.  I guess I like to make landscapes, towns & etc to be like places that I would like to visit if such a thing was possible.

Thanks for sharing your memory of GER suburban carriages.  I think my ones are meant to be a bit more posh since they have full height compartments.  So far I haven't been able to figure out how the lighting works as I really would like them to be a lot less harshly lit than they are now.

11 hours ago, Annie said:

'Deepest Thought' has arrived!  I think it might be bigger than 'Deeper Thought'; - it certainly is a lot heavier!

You'll be running out of superlatives!

Perhaps it would be better to enumerate them?  DeepThought 1, 2, etc?  or identify by year, eg DeepThought2020?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Annie said:

I think this new one will do me for a while Mike.  But should I ever come across a second hand Cray cheap I'm sure I could find a suitably terrific name for for it.

I feel it would have been better with a couple of human figures for scale ...

DeepestThought-2.jpg.6cd5d206efcbabf7f08aeb37de0efd3b.jpg

• Funny 2

"The answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything is... Forty Two!"
"FORTY TWO?!"
"Yes."
"...We are going to get lynched, you know that?"

With apologies to Douglas Adams.

That is a very impressive station you have there at Moxbury Annie - the over-roof is quite something! Shades of Knapford?

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

That is a very impressive station you have there at Moxbury Annie - the over-roof is quite something! Shades of Knapford?

Thanks Linny.  I will confess that Knapford was an influence (from all the times I spent reading the RWS books to my children when they were small), but I wanted a single peaked over roof instead of Knapford's four part roof.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annie said:

That's a Cray Mr Northroader.  I don't actually own one.  I could never afford the power bill for a start.  :blink:

But it'd keep you warm, though I appreciate that wouldn't be an advantage during the summer months....

If you had one, you could call it "Big Snapper"!

1 hour ago, MikeOxon said:

I feel it would have been better with a couple of human figures for scale ...

Majikthise and Vroomfondel, I suspect....

1 hour ago, Annie said:

Moxbury station at night from the west.

A terrific station roof!

I'm a bit concerned about the arches, they appear to have a pronounced list to port....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1