Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Don't say that!  Just position a bloke with a red flag in the roadway and claim that they're fixing the gate after the last time.....

I do have a couple of nice flagman models I could use too.

• RMweb Premium

I was doing some shunting around the lumber mill at Elgar Wood and took some video of trains on the tramway.  Only I was really stupid brained sleepy when I did them and messed up the camera work and on top of that my computer kept pausing and messing it up some more.  I've edited these two clips to take the worst bits off them, but I'm not really all that happy with them. 

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

View from the pier at Hopewood on Sea.  This will be the last video I'll post from my GER tramways layout as I can tell from the number of views that hardly anybody is interested in them.  They take a lot of effort on my part to do and if nobody wants to watch them, then I'm better off doing something more productive with my time.

Update:  And yes I will keep making videos.  You'd think I'd know better not to post statements like that after having a not very good day with this illness I live with.

Edited by Annie
Came to my senses
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Annie said:

View from the pier at Hopewood on Sea.  This will be the last video I'll post from my GER tramways layout as I can tell from the number of views that hardly anybody is interested in them.  They take a lot of effort on my part to do and if nobody wants to watch them, then I'm better off doing something more productive with my time.

Great view.

But you keep chickens on the pier?!?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Great view.

No James, but the farm a little way up the line has lots of noisy chickens and if the digital wind is blowing from the west you can definitely hear them at Hopewood on Sea.

I tried to find the Onedin Line theme music to attach to the video clip, but it's bolted up tight behind paywalls and dire copyright warnings so I couldn't use it.  So I guess we'll just have put up with the chickens then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Annie said:

No James, but the farm a little way up the line has lots of noisy chickens and if the digital wind is blowing from the west you can definitely hear them at Hopewood on Sea.

I tried to find the Onedin Line theme music to attach to the video clip, but it's bolted up tight behind paywalls and dire copyright warnings so I couldn't use it.  So I guess we'll just have put up with the chickens then.

This'll have to do then ...

• Thanks 1

Amazing!  You caught the Great Eastern in full sail :)

In your previous pics, I was impressed by the smoke plume from 044 - worthy of a Stanier Pacific storming up Shap.  That other chimney must have fallen foul of the clean air act eventually.  I think your videos are at their best when there's lots going on, like all those wagons in the sidings.

I appreciate the trouble it takes making these videos and I enjoy them.  But you should do them for your own enjoyment too.  I've not posted much on my own blog recently because I haven't felt like doing so.  It's not something to force yourself.  It's a hobby - have fun. :)

Mike

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MikeOxon said:

Amazing!  You caught the Great Eastern in full sail :)

In your previous pics, I was impressed by the smoke plume from 044 - worthy of a Stanier Pacific storming up Shap.  That other chimney must have fallen foul of the clean air act eventually.  I think your videos are at their best when there's lots going on, like all those wagons in the sidings.

I appreciate the trouble it takes making these videos and I enjoy them.  But you should do them for your own enjoyment too.  I've not posted much on my own blog recently because I haven't felt like doing so.  It's not something to force yourself.  It's a hobby - have fun. :)

Mike

I think you are right about the videos Mike.  I've done some video of driving from the cab on the rambling minor lines and when I looked at them I knew everyone would be bored out of their tree, - because it's only interesting for me because I'm driving and doing my best to stick to the timetable, - especially when running on the single track lines and there are train services coming from the other direction that I need to pass at station loops.

I'll have another go and do my best to make them shorter and more busy.

When I first got the locomotive that I modded into becoming No.044  its smoke plume was even more impressive so it's been tamed a bit, but perhaps I need to look at it again.  It's a very useful little engine, not fast because it's speed is governed to 20mph, - but very capable of working all kinds of traffic over the Hopewood Tramway's somewhat 'interesting' trackwork.

The 'Great Eastern' is an exact scale model by Steve Flanders and it is seriously big.  He had a lot of trouble with it trying to get all the details right without putting the poly count through the roof.  He also tried to get both the paddlewheels and the propellor at the stern to function as well, but in the end had to settle for just the paddlewheels being animated.  The likelihood of the 'Great Eastern' ever being anywhere near the Norfolk coast is very small, but I don't care.  It sails past Hopewood on Sea from time to time and disappears into the sea mist and I just like seeing it do that.

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

full version 

Nick

Thanks very much Nick.  And thanks too James for your Onedin Line video.  Definitely a cheer up after a rotten day.

1 hour ago, Annie said:

.............................It sails past Hopewood on Sea from time to time and disappears into the sea mist and I just like seeing it do that.

The essence of railway modelling fantasy :)

I like your stills of Hopewood; they reminded me of Philip Wilson Steer's wonderful paintings of Walberswick - Suffolk, I know, but the same coast.

Mike

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike.  Hopewood on Sea is the main station on the tramway and the town worthies had great hopes of it becoming a resort destination, - only it didn't really.  Still popular with day trippers during the Summer though which keeps No.044 busy with extra passenger services.

I had quite a bit of advice about the coastline on the layout from a member on NGRM who lives on the Norfolk coast and further along the coast at 'Winkle Bay' and at the lighthouse spit his advice and critical eye was very useful indeed.

3 hours ago, Annie said:

View from the pier at Hopewood on Sea.  This will be the last video I'll post from my GER tramways layout as I can tell from the number of views that hardly anybody is interested in them.  They take a lot of effort on my part to do and if nobody wants to watch them, then I'm better off doing something more productive with my time.

Update:  And yes I will keep making videos.  You'd think I'd know better not to post statements like that after having a not very good day with this illness I live with.

One has the most reprehensible urge to shout

"Vessel bearing 090, 2500 yards. Broadsides....   FIRE!!!"

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Great view.

Its the export trade, you know......

Either that, or the seagulls have become terrific mimics!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

This'll have to do then ...

OoohArrhh.....

From what I recall of the series, most of the interiors afloat and ashore appeared to be washed in a dreary brown paint and the ships mainly dealt in the guano trade with South America.  There was one episode where they ran afoul of Mr Plimsoll...

3 hours ago, Annie said:

You might be able to find it as an extract from Aram Khachaturian's music for "Spartacus".

(Just discovered you lurking here.  And I thought initially that "Great Eastern" referred to the railway....).

auldreekie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, auldreekie said:

You might be able to find it as an extract from Aram Khachaturian's music for "Spartacus".

(Just discovered you lurking here.  And I thought initially that "Great Eastern" referred to the railway....).

auldreekie

Yes I lurk here quite a bit since I'm more into pre-grouping railways these days.  I must come over to NGRM soon though and say 'Hi' and generally update everyone about my trainset.

Brunel's amazing ship the 'Great Eastern'.  An incredible piece of engineering that was unfortunately ahead of its time.

I did think about seeing if I could extract the music from Aram Khachaturian's 'Spartacus' and that's something I might yet do in a spare moment.  Editing video and sound files is still very much a mystery for me at the moment. 

• RMweb Premium

Well don't worry too much Mike because I won't be doing it very often.  By the time I found the right music in a downloadable form and then bent my brain figuring out how to use Audacity to lift out the bit I wanted and then added it to the video I was ready for a cup of tea and a lie down.  I only wanted to see if I could manage to do it and now that I know that I can I'll pack up my tent and move on.

YouTube was a bit scary though.  They instantly knew what piece of music it was and from what recording and the first names of all the violinists and the names of their cats and what they had for breakfast that morning.  And if I tried to monetise my video the full horror of copyright law would beat down on my poor little head.

My videos are unlisted anyway and besides if any money paying advertiser wanted to associate themselves with my lack of expertise they need their head read.

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Annie said:

Well don't worry too much Mike because I won't be doing it very often.  By the time I found the right music in a downloadable form and then bent my brain figuring out how to use Audacity to lift out the bit I wanted and then added it to the video I was ready for a cup tea and a lie down.  I only wanted to see if I could manage to do it and now that I know that I can I'll pack up my tent and move on.

YouTube was a bit scary though.  They instantly knew what piece of music it was and from what recording and the first names of all the violinists and the names of their cats and what they had for breakfast that morning.  And if I tried to monetise my video the full horror of copyright law would beat down on my poor little head.

My videos are unlisted anyway and besides if any money paying advertiser wanted to associate themselves with my lack of expertise they need their head read.

always good to push ones own limits and learn something new

Nick

• Agree 3

29 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

No chickens though

Which would have made it all worthwhile....  :jester:

Saunters off, not so quickly as to attract attention, but fast enough to get out of range before the howls of anguish...

• Funny 2