Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium

Almost a decade ago now I purchased a brand new copy of Trainz TS2009 and I explored doing all kind of things with it.  I found an archived copy of my old TS2009 install recently and sometimes I like to look through it and revisit what I was doing back then.

These are two screenshots from a layout named 'Urban Industrial' and I modified the living daylights out of it stringing miles of overhead catenary wires among other things.

JB5GKOx.jpg

If any of you ever venture onto the Auran/N3V Trainz forum you might wonder about the forum name I use there, - KotangaGirl.  It dates right back to when I first started with the Trainz simulator.

tdhueQq.jpg

• Like 5

What's that?

Rhye

C

You guessed it, Rhye on Sea.  :biggrin_mini2:

I changed a few things according to Annie's recommendations, & some other things. For instance, mostly I used 'UK road 1930s-60s', but for the main street along the station I preferred 'FMA road1 15m 37860'.

capture_20200704_101845_144.jpg.6b46348d90de7e1d4013c07cc7f5a89f.jpg

I've never heard of Mazawattee tea - Annie, can you recommend it? :D

The biggest change is the new 3rd station, & this will be definitely the last one. 4 stations would be too many for such a tiny layout. The original author named the nearby crossing 'Bree', so I named the station likewise. I'm not sure if this is the best solution, or if instead I should build a small terminus in the lower area on the western rim, where the grain silos & the 2nd goods shed are. Maybe I'll try that later & find out which one works better, & then tear down the other one.

Bree is an agricultural village with cows & acres of wheat, barley & rhye... err... rye. :mocking_mini:

capture_20200704_103141_152.jpg.f5ccd96fef4a31453531bbc314f72580.jpg

capture_20200704_101244_143.jpg.54ab73c900f9c3a1e9a4a432eae43622.jpg

I'm by no means done with this layout. I want a viaduct (& I mean a real arched viaduct, that looks like a Roman aquaeduct), a small river, a lake or pond, & goods traffic in the harbour, & I'm pretty optimistic that I will get all of these. :sungum:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Annie said:

JB5GKOx.jpg

Eeeelectric! :O:wacko::nono:

:mocking_mini:

If any of you ever venture onto the Auran/N3V Trainz forum you might wonder about the forum name I use there, - KotangaGirl.  It dates right back to when I first started with the Trainz simulator.

I knew that. The 1st thing I ever read from you was a contribution in the screenshot competition thread. Only later I found this forum, & this is the only thread I post in. Honestly, I'm not really a model railroader - I'm a computer player who discovered his love for steam locos. :pardon:

tdhueQq.jpg

:yahoo_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice work with Rhye on Sea Jake.  I haven't looked at installing any other stations yet, but as you say it's important not to go overboard with installing stations with it being such a small layout.

1 hour ago, Jake The Rat said:

Eeeelectric! :O:wacko::nono:

I had a very brief flirtation with electric traction.  The worst part of it was installing all the catenary wires and the supports & etc.  I called the city on the Urban Industrial layout 'Mogadon City' because it was a truly awful grim and forbidding place and the population would have to be on tranquilisers just to live there.

The number '42' on the electric boxcab loco demonstrates what my reading material was at the time.

1 hour ago, Jake The Rat said:

:yahoo_mini:

Yes the big steam engine MPD and roundhouse was a much better place and I shedded a few of the monster Australian Beyer-Peacock clone tank engines there since they were ideal for working the steel mill traffic.

My Kotanga Tramway lightweight Baldwin 4-6-0 got around a few of the layouts I built at the time as a kind of travelling locomotive that could just about turn up anywhere.  I haven't run it for a long time though.

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The fiddle yard for 'Pennyworth'.  It's mainly setup to allow passenger trains to run round and then shunt themselves into sidings to await their next turn.  I've most probably got a bit too much in the way of goods rolling stock stored in the fiddle yard since Pennyworth doesn't really have the capacity to handle very much goods traffic.

Three short bogie coaches or four six wheelers is pretty much the standard passenger train length for normal working.

QlMrFHW.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

And for a contrast here's the fiddle yard for 'Seaton' which now has a transfer table to handle sorting rolling stock.

7Jvj8FX.jpg

Mr5I2pS.jpg

And to finish off a post-grouping snap of 'Pennyworth' from under the station roof.

b9bezB4.jpg

Edited by Annie
added a picture
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Muddling on still.  The station complete with over roof is a very old Trainz item that I thought might be useful for this project (whatever it actually is).  Anyway I reskinned it since some of the old textures were pretty naff, but I'm not really happy with it.  I attempted to darken and dirty the glass roof only to discover that the glass is missing on large sections of the roof which put an end to that.

So I'll most probably bin the station and build one up from dozens of pieces like I usually do.  I do like the town though.  The buildings are all by the same maker and made in the same style which makes the town look like its a cohesive whole and not a lot of plonk down buildings that don't really work together..  I did do a little texture work on the houses, but not very much.

t4GmcWB.jpg

• Like 5

... & now for something completely different: Rhye on Sea, LNWR session.

Having enough for now of red locos I wanted to see some in black for a change, crossing my new viaduct at the eastern rim of the layout. I think, the new backdrop is also an improvement.

capture_20200707_110409_161.jpg.062de2db699f3867af45e3fcc2b459e3.jpg

A Claughton & a Super D...

capture_20200707_110438_162.jpg.b46fbb42735983a65b7b46d29527daed.jpg

...Alfred the Great...

capture_20200707_110630_169.jpg.c1e9a31a71a42419565fbfe027983b82.jpg

...a 5ft6 2-4-2T...

capture_20200707_110645_171.jpg.95bb34b742f4c7fdf49384d07faa35bd.jpg

...a Precursor...

capture_20200707_110958_175.jpg.005b6ed02aa69cdfceb970056adeb2aa.jpg

... & a Coal Tank shunting Annie's 4 plank wagons.

capture_20200707_111559_177.jpg.2e9074231b565656065474fe8166242e.jpg

The ghost of Rhye Castle (also new & located in the northeastern corner) watching the harbour & the station. The midnight train is slightly late... :jester:

Currently reading:

spacer.png

... so you can guess what my next session will feature. :dirol_mini:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Ringing the changes with Rhye on Sea.  I like it.

Still continuing to work on my new project.  The station has been deleted and this is what it looked like before I started to build the new station.

5KnQy52.jpg

And this is what it looks like now.  I still don't know where this project is going yet.

pXj9JPA.jpg

djsOHhL.jpg

WwSMBMB.jpg

nXRSNsM.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That's Lynborough on my new layout project Mike.  I suppose 2 story terraces would be the usual thing, but I particularly wanted to use these buildings even if they are a bit down the road as regards the number of floors they have.

• RMweb Premium

etfb5Oy.jpg

Book Corner.

The copy of 'The Mid-Suffolk Light Railway' I purchased a while ago has wended its way to me which may lead to an outbreak of light railway modelling.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Annie said:

may lead to an outbreak of light railway modelling.

Do you mean just a little bit of easy-going railway modelling, modelling railways via the medium of light (holographic train sims?), non-serious railway modelling, or modelling of light railways?

I think we should be told.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Regularity said:

Do you mean just a little bit of easy-going railway modelling, modelling railways via the medium of light (holographic train sims?), non-serious railway modelling, or modelling of light railways?

Um........  The modelling of light railways is what I meant, - yes that's exactly what I meant I think.

Seriously though I want to have a try at modelling a light railway in Trainz.  I've done odd small bits as an add on to a larger project, but not as the main subject of a modelling project.

13 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Context, dear boy, context.  Our gracious hostess is indicating a book on the Middie.  the clue is in the title.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Jake The Rat said:

Light railway? Why not a darkness railway? Maybe from Blackburn to Blackpool...:jester:

Ah yes, if there's one railway that conjures up images of Stygian gloom, it's the Lancashire & Yorkshire!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A view along Station Road at Lynborough.

le8LGvB.jpg

The main running lines are in place now forming a large oval around the whole room.  Sill lots and lots of work to do though.

Zrs1tAy.jpg

9mzD76e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah yes, if there's one railway that conjures up images of Stygian gloom, it's the Lancashire & Yorkshire!

This is the only L&YR loco I could find. Maybe Rhye on Sea is somewhere near Blackpool... who knows? :unsure::D

capture_20200709_213549_184a.jpg.e0dca43d14d9f7101361062bf182201c.jpg

10 hours ago, Annie said:

Jake, - the people from the Joke Supervision Board are going to come around to your house and give you a yellow card.

The Department of Bad Jokes in Kalau (jokes like this are known as Kalauer in German) considers me a hopeless case & has given up on me a long time ago. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

There's only one L&YR loco available in Trainz.  There's one more, but it's payware.  The L&YR is one of several pre-group railways that's miserably represented in Trainz.

I how have Lynborough station and town finished except for laying the conductor rails for 3 rail faux electric 'O' gauge locos.  I think I need a little lie down now.

VEnZpPg.jpg

xHLnyyO.jpg

• Like 7