Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

9 minutes ago, Annie said:

Tut tut, - world domination and a new order for mankind while wearing shorts....... Really, - what were they thinking.

While I love the absurdist idea of a "Minchinhampton Eagle Battalion", I suspect that was a wonderful Fry-touch for the TV adaptation.

But Wodehouse did give Wooster a great line about swanky around Town in "footer-bags", looking ridiculous.

Quite!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

While I love the absurdist idea of a "Minchinhampton Eagle Battalion", I suspect that was a wonderful Fry-touch for the TV adaptation.

But Wodehouse did give Wooster a great line about swanky around Town in "footer-bags", looking ridiculous.

Quite!

It's been too long since I last read any of Wodehouse's books.  Something I must remedy very soon.

Is the TV adaptation on Youtube?  Hopefully it is as I could do with something to make me smile from time to time.

15 minutes ago, Annie said:

It's been too long since I last read any of Wodehouse's books.  Something I must remedy very soon.

Is the TV adaptation on Youtube?  Hopefully it is as I could do with something to make me smile from time to time.

I don't know.  I acquired the physical box set of DVDs many years ago.  It's a great adaptation

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I don't know.  I acquired the physical box set of DVDs many years ago.  It's a great adaptation

Well some of the series seem to be on Youtube and claim to be full length episodes so I'll be checking them out later.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the last saddle tank 850, no.1925, it was the subject of an article with drawing by J.N.Maskelyne in the MRN for Dec49, done out in Green with the post war capitals on the tanksides. The drawing is in Russell part one you’re now drooling over. His drawings, with a bit of chat on each, cover quite a lot of old pregroup types, and were made into two volumes which can turn up on eBay occasionally.

1925 got tittivated up to star in a film, “the Chiltern Hundreds” which I never saw, but went  on to a second film in 1950 “Gone to Earth” which I did see, and it was a lot better than a lot of stuff you can see today. (I think so, anyway) I’ve put in a link, with two warnings, one that the bit where the train goes across Farley Crossing when they’re off to the fair has been cut, so you have to virtually imagine that,  and second it’s about unbridled lust and passion of a simple country girl and the squire in the lovely late victorian Shropshire countryside, so it might not be considered suitable for someone like yourself, in any case.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lq15RmpW2jY

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gosh unbridled lust.  Oh dear.  Part of my brain is telling me that a well brought up lady such as myself shouldn't watch a film about such things.  And the other part of my brain is trying to remember if ever I suffered from such a thing.  Sounds all rather tiring and ultimately disappointing to me which is why I think it should be avoided by any sensible young woman.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Seeing as you have a family that implies such at some point. 

Since my children are now in their 30's you can perhaps begin to understand why it's difficult to remember.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Northroader said:

It all sounds a bit virtual, so I can’t have gone off topic at all.

Oh I was delighting in the topic drifting everywhere like a sailing dinghy in contrary winds Northroader.

And from the bookshelf section I was very pleased to receive this morning a 1968 copy of the Oakwood Press's 'The Hayle, West Cornwall and Helston Railways by G.B. Anthony.  The book didn't cost me much and it's in nice condition, but at least it does look like somebody has read it a few times.  After purchasing several out of print books recently where it looked like the book had never been handled or opened I was starting to worry that I was purchasing cursed books whose former owners had been struck down by fell circumstances before they could even take a seat in their favourite chair and begin reading their new purchase.

Anyway that aside this small book seems to be full of the kind of useful information I need to know about railways in 19th century Cornwall so I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Another new arrival this morning was 'The Moretonhampstead Branch, A Railway from Shore to Moor' by John Owen published in the year 2000.  Another book that looks like somebody did read it occasionally, but it's still in nice condition.  My main interest with this book is the timber stations on the line since many of these were swept away by later rebuilding work, - and of course the wooden train shed at Moretonhampstead.

Questions about wagon loading on the creator group forum I belong to has sent me off to purchase a second hand copy of J.H. Russell's 'Freight Wagons and Loads in Service on the Great Western Railway'.  The title also mentions something about BR and the Western Region, but who cares about that.  It is very annoying trying to find information on such a basic question as. - 'How were sacks loaded?' - and of course Google is almost entirely useless so finding anything is more by good luck than anything to do with their search engine's functionality (or lack of it).

• Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, Annie said:

It is very annoying trying to find information on such a basic question as. - 'How were sacks loaded?' - and of course Google is almost entirely useless so finding anything is more by good luck than anything to do with their search engine's functionality (or lack of it).

There's plenty about that here.

Jim

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

There's plenty about that here.

Jim

Yes I did eventually find that thread Jim, but the whole frustrating exercise made my mind up to get myself a reference book on the subject. 

• RMweb Premium

CL0FDt4.jpg

Red open wagon at Huddleston.

For what should have been a very simple retexture job I had so many issues with this wagon.  The original texture for the wagon was mapped out in an odd way and it took lots of fine adjustments before I was happy with it.  I still don't know what part of the texture the buffer beams are mapped to so I'll have to do some experimenting until I find it.

The wagon next to it is one by Steve Flanders and while his wagons are very nice and I use them on my Norfolk railways Huddleston is set at an earlier period so they are only acting as placeholders and test wagons until I can retexture some more wagons of my own.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Test running in TANE (Trainz A New Error Era).

The layout is a large old but good layout named 'Tristyn in Winter' that is essentially cheerfully generic GWR with everything from 1920 to the end of the 1930s thrown into the mix.  It's a lot of fun for playing trains on in a not too serious kind of way, though it is properly signalled and some of the junctions are complex so I have to be on my game when I'm driving.

I have the same layout in TS2019 as well and the point of the exercise was to do a comparison between the two versions. 

UJU7q1k.jpg

0Rjb3lv.jpg

s8jiVQg.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Book Corner:

I'm reading a book at the moment called 'The Railway Haters' by David Brandon and Alan Brooke published by Pen and Sword Books.  My copy is the Kindle version which is a lot cheaper to buy than a printed copy.  It's an examination of the social & etc changes wrought by the railways from the early 19th century up until modern times and I'm finding it a fascinating read.  The 'Haters' bit comes from examining those who opposed the railways and their influence on the shaping of the railways.   I haven't finished reading it yet and I'm finding it difficult to put down.

• RMweb Premium

This is a Summertime version of the Winter layout I posted some snaps from earlier.  Much playing trains  serious testing has been happening while I've been getting the TANE version of Trainz set up and working properly.

I happen to like Dukedogs.  One of the books I owned in my early 20s was about early BR error  era branchlines and it had a lot of pictures of Dukedogs at work.  I was a little disappointed later when I discovered that they weren't actually as old as they looked.

2FbTqLY.jpg

OaEjU06.jpg

Zp7FzTd.jpg

0DPcLxD.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The Broad Gauge wagon project continues.  A test try out of reskin textures on a 17 foot 4 plank wagon.

In the background you can see a good few wagons of various types that have been undergoing testing for goods and mineral loading as well as tarpaulin fitting.

jyccpTW.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 31/10/2019 at 08:29, Edwardian said:

Many here have far more extensive libraries than do I, however, here is the GW section...

That is impressive. I've checked my catalogue - I don't have any books that are exclusively about the Great Western. The nearest I get are Ahrons, Vol. 4, a coffee-table book about the GC & GW joint, and a pre-Grouping West Midlands album. I have, however, borrowed Atkins et al. from time to time from a club member.

On 01/11/2019 at 18:08, Annie said:

Red open wagon at Huddleston.

Liking the Farrar wagons in the background, too. I have private owner wagon books but that's a slippery slope to venture on...

Catching up here. Enjoying the unseasonal virtual weather.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Annie said:

Inspirational Broad Gauge art corner.

VVGoui1.jpg

Him "Look Beatrice, it's a GWR broad gauge wonder!! Oh gosh I wish I was an engine driver!!!"

Her "Yes dear, very nice I'm sure. Now about my new outfit. You haven't told me that lavender suits me"  

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Him "Look Beatrice, it's a GWR broad gauge wonder!! Oh gosh I wish I was an engine driver!!!"

Her "Yes dear, very nice I'm sure. Now about my new outfit. You haven't told me that lavender suits me"  

Yes she's very much playing the bored wife role to a 'T'.  Silly woman.

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That is impressive. I've checked my catalogue - I don't have any books that are exclusively about the Great Western. The nearest I get are Ahrons, Vol. 4, a coffee-table book about the GC & GW joint, and a pre-Grouping West Midlands album. I have, however, borrowed Atkins et al. from time to time from a club member.

Liking the Farrar wagons in the background, too. I have private owner wagon books but that's a slippery slope to venture on...

Catching up here. Enjoying the unseasonal virtual weather.

My own small library of GWR books is steadily growing.  I'm going to have find a place to put them all before my bedside table starts to collapse.

The Farrar wagons are by Steve Flanders who researched all the PO wagon that would have worked through his own GWR layout's chosen area/region.  All very nice and handy because it means that I don't have to do it.

I need get back to making more red livery wagons for Huddleston, but the Broad Gauge wagon project is taking up a lot of my time and with our weather suddenly deciding to hit 30 degrees C after being cold and wet for ages I'm sleeping a lot more.

During our Summer I tend to return to my virtual Winter time layouts to cheer myself up.  I do not like our Summer since the hot weather makes me even more sleepy than I usually am.

36 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Not pictured was my 3-volume Midland section!

• Like 2