Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Annie said:

A little more pottering around my 'Cairnrigg to Balessie' layout.  Took a snap of Ed Heaps's exquisite N.E.R. Worsdell Von Borries Compound Class 'J' at Balessie MPD.

Not really the kind of engine that would have been seen in the district, but I couldn't turn down the opportunity to take a nice screenshot.

Can you get it to do ninety?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Haven't tried giving it a proper run yet.  I'd need to do it on 'Tristyn in Winter' as it's got a long mainline that's better set up for speed runs.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Schooner said:

On which, what are your current thoughts on some kinda of physical layout? Just askin'... :)

All on  hold for the foreseeable future unfortunately.  Doing basic self care as well as what light housework tasks I can manage are about the limit without trying to add layout building into the mix.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Sorry only 84 mph on DCC controls.  0.6% gradient, 146 Ton train of seven N.E.R. 6 wheelers.  (S&C Route borrowed for the test)

I might try it again using the steam control set.

zQcxCy0.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I also have N.E.R. No.1619, - the Worsdell-Smith Compound 4-4-0.  This snap was taken at Appleby Junction on the Settle & Carlisle route that dates from Trainz Classics 3 which was released back in 2008, - though it's had some updating since then.  Time period is the BR dismal transition error which can't be helped, but it's still a darn fine place to run steam engines around on.

d1nSQy8.jpg

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It was in course of a series of tests conducted under Smith's direction that Class J No. 1517 achieved 90 mph.

So if I change the 'J' Class's number to 1517 and find a suitable model figure and name it 'Mr Smith' and place him on the footplate I might do better and achieve 90 mph.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I know finding suitable engine specs can be difficult where one might not exist, -so I was a little surprised to discover that Mr Worsdell's Von Borries Compound Class 'J' was running on an engine spec intended for a LBSCR H2 Class Atlantic (170lb).

No.1619, - the Worsdell-Smith Compound 4-4-0 turned out to have an engine spec for a Midland Compound which I would suppose would be a closer match, - but that H2 engine spec was a definite surprise.

2995valliant, - who is the Uk engine spec expert for Trainz is presently working his way down a very long list of British engines, but there doesn't seem to be anything listed for the N.E.R. Compound engines.

At the time I made the single that was the closest espec I could find. I wanted something that would give decent speed on a reasonable size train and there weren't any specs for singles or larger 4-4-0s available at the time (I used the Atlantic spec on lots of things back then due to lack of choice). 2995valliant's selection has improved since then, including the Stirling Single and various express 4-4-0s all of which might be more appropriate for the J class. Unfortunately this model will never have a truly realistic espec available as Trainz doesn't do compounding. Some of my other compound locos (eg the Midland compound) have Specs from 2995valliant that approximate compounding, but they are only approximations. Hopefully more will be completed at some point. The Midland Compound spec should be pretty close for the 3CC as they were extremely similar engines.

One day I might find the time to learn to do especs myself, but getting them right is a complex and subtle art that also requires a pretty good knowledge of real steam loco operation, so for now I will continue to choose the best spec from the available selection by other people...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, eheaps said:

One day I might find the time to learn to do especs myself, but getting them right is a complex and subtle art that also requires a pretty good knowledge of real steam loco operation, so for now I will continue to choose the best spec from the available selection by other people...

I didn't mean to criticise your choice of engine specs Ed, - I was simply curious as to which engine spec you'd used.  The test I ran on the S&C with a train of 6 wheelers typical of the late 1880s- early 1890s showed me that your choice of an engine spec was reasonably close in terms of performance.  I do realise that engine specs for compound locomotives can only be at best an approximation even with 2995valliant's near magic skills.

I'm look forward to giving the 3CC a run as i'm guessing it will be a real treat to drive.

The only engine spec I've ever successfully managed to create from scratch was for a small single cylinder Foden tram engine and that just about did my head in with all the necessary calculations to figure out the boiler and firebox specs as well as the piston movement and valve timing.  I would not know where to begin with a much larger steam engine.

After a few experiments I found that the engine spec for a 14xx worked well enough with my Paulz Trainz mid-19th century 22.5 ton Beyer-Peacock single wheeler, but I do agree that finding a good match for some older or more unusual engines can be a challenge.