Brake third D1905

Mike G

Building another fine kit, and with all models best to research the real thing. So Jenkinson's tomb shows the water lines running over the passenger end. I found Larry's model showing the same. So why the question? Well I bought one of the Tom Ferris books Vale of Neath Line. If you have it, photo on page 24. Clearly, shows a D1905 with the water lines running back over the guards end.

Photos don't lie, unless I've got the coach wrongly identified?  Any suggestions/explanations?

Mike

Mike

I can't find a photo of a D1905 but I have found a plan of the interior.  It shows that the toilet is nearer to the brake end than to the other so logically the pipe would be shorter if run from the brake end.

Chris

Since posting the above I have found a photo of a D1905.  It is on page 30 of Historic Carriage Drawings Vol 2 and shows 5518 in fully lined livery with no ducket.  The tank fillers are at the non-brake end and this is reflected in the drawing on page 31.   So much for logic.

This does beg the question of what is in the photograph in Tom Ferris's book, which I have not yet seen.  How sure are you that the coach is a D1905 and are the fittings which curve across the end windows at the brake end handrails or pipes?

Chris

EDIT - I think you mean Jenkinson's TOME.  His tomb is somewhere in Yorkshire.

Edited by chrisf

• RMweb Premium

Since posting the above I have found a photo of a D1905.  It is on page 30 of Historic Carriage Drawings Vol 2 and shows 5518 in fully lined livery with no ducket.  The tank fillers are at the non-brake end and this is reflected in the drawing on page 31.   So much for logic.

This does beg the question of what is in the photograph in Tom Ferris's book, which I have not yet seen.  How sure are you that the coach is a D1905 and are the fittings which curve across the end windows at the brake end handrails or pipes?

Chris

EDIT - I think you mean Jenkinson's TOME.  His tomb is somewhere in Yorkshire.

The 'photo' you refer to on page 30, is actually a drawing! But perhaps my 1974 version is different to yours - there have been various reprints & revisions, I believe.

But you are correct, the same drawings (by Arthur Whitehead) appear in LMS Standard Coaching Stock Volume 2 on page 145 along with an actual photo of 5518 and the water filler definitely is at the non brake end. Perhaps there was a reason for not running over the brake area? But any way it is only a few lengths of pipe.

Later diagrams, still have the water filler pipe at the non corridor end, but the toilet is now away from the brake end, so only a short pipe, as now only a door separating them. Diagram 1968 and remaining so into the 'porthole' era stock.

The D1905s converted for the coronation scot had the water filler pipes at the brake end.

I have also seen photos of D1905 with pipes at the brake end but not any where the number is readable.

I know the first class coronation scot coaches retained the roof trunking but did the thirds? Or there may have been a batch of D1905 with the pipes at the opposite end to the majority.