An Interesting Variation on a Terrier.

• RMweb Premium

I've not see a Terrier that looks like this before.  No doubt LBSC experts will now be rolling around laughing at my ignorance and inability to recognise LBSC engines from quite a way way off, but if someone could shed a little light on the subject I would be grateful.

myy5C35.jpg

• Like 1

Not any great authority on the Brighton by any stretch, but put simply that’s not a terrier at all.

It is, I think, a D1 tank.

Yes, indeed a Stroudley D1 0-4-2T.  Altogether a much larger beast than a Terrier with 5ft 6in drivers.  279 was withdrawn in 1936 but 18 (+ 2 in service stock) just made it into BR days but none got 32xxx numbers.

Chris KT  

I'm afraid it's a D1, Annie, as the others have pointed out. Still, could be an interesting modelling project to build a fictional 0-4-2 terrier variant, possibly in a similar manner to the 2-4-0 conversions. After all, the D1's replaced the 2-4-0 pair, so perhaps you could suppose that another terrier was converted, but to 0-4-2 specification.

• Like 1

While this one is not a Terrier, I seem to recall there was an experiment with one or more Terriers where the rear coupling rids were removed, thus making them 0-4-2Ts, albeit with the rear carrying wheels the same size as the driving wheels.

I'm fairly hazy on this, but it may have been in relation to experiments with Terriers on the Lyme Regis branch, in a failed attempt to replace the Adams Radial locomotives.

Bringing us back to the topic, there was also an experimental trial of a D1 on the branch as well.

• RMweb Gold

While this one is not a Terrier, I seem to recall there was an experiment with one or more Terriers where the rear coupling rids were removed, thus making them 0-4-2Ts, albeit with the rear carrying wheels the same size as the driving wheels.

I'm fairly hazy on this, but it may have been in relation to experiments with Terriers on the Lyme Regis branch, in a failed attempt to replace the Adams Radial locomotives.

Bringing us back to the topic, there was also an experimental trial of a D1 on the branch as well.

I think the 0-4-2 Terriers were in Edwardian times, long before they might have been considered for Lyme Regis.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone do a 7mm kit for one? I could do with another LBSCR loco for our layout.

Marc

You could ask the Furness Railway Wagon Company. They might want to do one :jester:

On a slightly more serious note, and speaking out of my normal territory: I'm not sure if any of the past kits are actually available any more, see: http://www.lbscr.org/Models/7mm.html

With your relatively low RTR prices, maybe people who got the bug from the Dapol 7mm Terrier would be interested? At least it wouldn't be "too far North"!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid it's a D1, Annie, as the others have pointed out. Still, could be an interesting modelling project to build a fictional 0-4-2 terrier variant, possibly in a similar manner to the 2-4-0 conversions. After all, the D1's replaced the 2-4-0 pair, so perhaps you could suppose that another terrier was converted, but to 0-4-2 specification.

That was my thought really.  If there was a Terrier 0-4-2 variant I wouldn't mind one for Foxwater.  Anybody got a Dapol Terrier  'O'' gauge bodyshell they don't want?  aQ3xxHl.gif

• Like 1

Unfortunately, converting a Terrier to a D1 is not as easy as it would at first appear. While there is a strong family resemblance, the D1 is larger in every way apart from number of driving wheels.

See this photo from the Southern E-group page to see the relative proportions of a D1 buffer to buffer with a Terrier:

post-793-0-75715200-1519633610.jpg

• Like 3

Oh dear, I appear to have caused confusion!

I meant do a Fictional variant of a terrier as an 0-4-2T as a modelling exercise.

That's OK - I was trying to say that there was a real precedent for that, but it looks like the vague memory stirring in the very back of my head got it wrong on several counts.

Oh dear, I appear to have caused confusion!

I meant do a Fictional variant of a terrier as an 0-4-2T as a modelling exercise.

Why fictitious?

Why not the 0-4-2 saddle tank, Bognor, or,

the Craven-Stroudley 0-4-2Ts, Nos. 18 and 21?

The latter are a favourite, because they are very much a Brighton version of the GWR 517 or GER T7 classes.

post-25673-0-42604800-1519674293_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-15682400-1519674311_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

Why fictitious?

Why not the 0-4-2 saddle tank, Bognor, or,

the Craven-Stroudley 0-4-2Ts, Nos. 18 and 21?

The latter are a favourite, because they are very much a Brighton version of the GWR 517 or GER T7 classes.

EB Models already supply a kit for Craven/Stroudley 0-4-2 tanks nos 18 & 21 and it makes up very nicely

Michael

Not any great authority on the Brighton by any stretch, but put simply that’s not a terrier at all.

It is, I think, a D1 tank.

'Stretch' being the word, many Brighton crews referred to the E1 as a 'stretched terrier', the E1 being the freight version, the D1 being designed for passenger work with near identical body, and decimated to the cause of electrification. 

I find the cab on 'Bognor' quite fascinating and very much on the unusual side.  Definitely one to file away for later.  C1ST5Fx.gif

Ah, well that cab is down to Stroudley.  When delivered by Kitsons, she had side sheets and a wrap-over cab, and a stovepipe chimney.

Another interesting variant, which recieved a Stroudly cab roof is the Craven 2-2-2T  number 98 Seaford

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1366&bih=637&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=6_ecWpwj6M2ABu_vtfAO&q=Craven+2-2-2T+loco+Seaford&oq=Craven+2-2-2T+loco+Seaford&gs_l=psy-ab.12...41862.44464.0.54015.6.6.0.0.0.0.58.292.6.6.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.rnzSnQkgPZY#imgrc=y5SwybPsQUiI-M:

I cane across this whilst sorting out some old pages of plans from early model railway mags, the plan is to S gauge scale so cannot get a direct comparison with a Terrier  5'6" driver and 3'6" leading and trailing wheels, Might be an interesting conversion project to either an old K's or a Hornby loco

See post 62 & 69 on Washbourne thread on here

Edit

THe plan for the loco comes from the Model Railway News July 1965, as this mag is long defunct can I upload it (that is if anyone is interested) without infringing any copyrights 

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1