Gauge O Guild Kettering Show 2018

MarcD

I just had this email from the guild

Dear Traders

This message is to confirm Kettering show will be going ahead as planned.
We appreciate that weather conditions in other parts of the country may make travel difficult for some of you but conditions at the venue and in the surrounding area are OK this morning and therefore the show will take place. The venue will be open for set up later today as usual.

Best regards
Alan Redgwick
Events Chairman

I wonder if the cancel they would have to refund traders and advance ticket holders.

Marc

It is OK near Corby where I live. Main problem has come through lack of ploughing some routes and total lack of police to direct traffic away from accidents.

Red zone? Let's remember this is a predictable winter storm not a nuclear war. As a country we just don't prepare for the predictable.

Sorry for those who can't make it. Hope it can still go ahead.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the cancel they would have to refund traders and advance ticket holders.

Marc

I would assume so; however they wouldn't be liable for hire vans, hotels etc. so some traders could be well out of pocket.

• RMweb Premium

Eileens are about to set off so we should be there. The question is will there be any customers.

I'll make a list...traders who are there deserve our support!

Dava

From the updated Show page of the Guild website:

The show has NOT been cancelled. Traders still attending as at 11.00am Helmsman Model Rail Mercian Connoisseur Models Dapol Ltd Hobby Holidays TMS Models Marcway Steamline Ltd Squires Model and Craft Tools Eileen's Emporium Skytrex (2013) Ltd Little Loco Company Finescale Brass (UK) Ltd Ellis Clark Trains Lanky Kits Haywood Models MSC Models Ltd PR Model Railway Products Peter Clark Models Megapoints Controllers Old Models Meteor Models Geoff Stratford / Javelin Ken's Profiles CPL Products SBT Developments B.D.Coutts Walsall Model Industries Airframed Glass Display Cases Warley MRC & National Exhibition Masterpiece Models Gladiator Midland Railway Centre Finney 7 M & J Models D & S Models Ragstone Models C & L Finescale ALSRM Ian Kirk L Cut Creative Parliamentary Trains Furness Wagon Company / Pre-grouping Railways Duncan Models Aquitrain Premier Components Peter Cowling SM Models JPL Models 88D (Mike Morris) Brian & Martin's Goodies HMRS Midland Railway Society Poppy's Woodtech Made in Manchester Models Buzz Models Northants Model Railway Supplies Walsworth Models Northumbrian Painting Services Scale Signal Supplies Layouts still attending L1 Dunchurch L2 Blackshaw Yard / Cooper's End L4 Eastbridge L5 Test Track As far as we know all demonstrators are still attending as are Bring & Buy

• RMweb Premium

Naturally the G0G welcomes anyone with an interest in 7mm scale modelling to join, that way you get direct access to the latest event & other info, plus discounts on event entry & other benefits, eg minibus from station to venue. Join on the day and you get the discount.

Economists describe people that use the benefits paid for by others as 'free riders', nothing wrong with that but it doesn't really give them the right to criticize an organisation they don't support.....

Travel safely if you go to Kettering.

Dava

• Like 1

I don't own shares in Tesco. Doesn't mean I can't criticise them for poor service.

This is a public event for which they are charging admission, not a private meeting. Besides being nice to customers might result in new members!

Economists describe people that use the benefits paid for by others as 'free riders', nothing wrong with that but it doesn't really give them the right to criticize an organisation they don't support.....

Dava

I can't believe you can come onto a forum and call non members free loaders I assume you would prefer such events to be members only?

I ceased to be a member of the guild after a similar conversation with guild committee member at Telford a few years ago after I had mislaid my membership card (And that was after the membership secretary had confirmed my membership)

And if this is the sort of attitude that remains within the guild then I certainly won't be rejoining anytime soon!

However as a bonus you have made my mind up over whether to attend tomorrow or not-

And the guild will not receiving my 'free rider' entrance fee!

Edited by 101

• RMweb Premium

Naturally the G0G welcomes anyone with an interest in 7mm scale modelling to join, that way you get direct access to the latest event & other info, plus discounts on event entry & other benefits, eg minibus from station to venue. Join on the day and you get the discount.

Travel safely if you go to Kettering.

Dava

Non-members are charged a premium for attending the trade events. How is this extra cash not supporting the Guild? Free-rider, hardly.

If an event is publicly advertised and open to all to attend then surely it is only right to expect important info about the event (is it going ahead, which traders have dropped out) to be made available to all not just those in the club?

I've heard many moaning at Guild events about membership levels, lack of new entrants etc. I strongly believe that the culture and attitude that comes across to outsiders from the Guild and some of its membership puts people off joining.

I was a member of the Guild for a year but didn't rejoin. The closed, inward looking attitudes I found were a big reason for not re-joining.

I'm appalled, but not surprised, that the view seems to be that you don't deserve info about the show unless you are a member. Hardly encourages people to join up.

• RMweb Premium

. . .

I've heard many moaning at Guild events about membership levels, lack of new entrants etc. I strongly believe that the culture and attitude that comes across to outsiders from the Guild and some of its membership puts people off joining.

I was a member of the Guild for a year but didn't rejoin. The closed, inward looking attitudes I found were a big reason for not re-joining.

I'm appalled, but not surprised, that the view seems to be that you don't deserve info about the show unless you are a member. Hardly encourages people to join up.

There are many in the Guild who would support your statements above. At the moment the Guild Forum has four separate but related topics running (no mderation otherwise they should have been merged/locked) as shown below, so there are some members concerned about the future - but others who see no need to change anything

Future of the Guild (again)          126 replies 7080 views

Future of the Guild 2                    382 replies 17323 views

Future of the Guild Part 2            93 replies 1573 views

Renaming of the Guild                45 replies 1014 views

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't believe you can come onto a forum and call non members free loaders I assume you would prefer such events to be members only?

I ceased to be a member of the guild after a similar conversation with guild committee member at Telford a few years ago after I had mislaid my membership card (And that was after the membership secretary had confirmed my membership)

And if this is the sort of attitude that remains within the guild then I certainly won't be rejoining anytime soon!

However as a bonus you have made my mind up over whether to attend tomorrow or not-

And the guild will not receiving my 'free rider' entrance fee!

That's another £10 Dava should be putting in the collection box. ;-p

• Like 3

We can add Haywood railways to the list of missing traders. I have just had an email from Geoff Gill in which he thought it was to dangerous for them to get to Kettering.

Marc 

I must be a free rider as well i used to be a member but reading the comment from Dava he can put another £10 in collection box because i will not be attending any Guild shows again and spending hard earned money or thinking about joining again DISGUSTING. 

The weather front seems to be moving in. I live approx. 30 miles south of Kettering and it's been snowing hard here since 2pm, on top of what we had last night, the sky looks full and more is forecast. Disappointingly it means I am unlikely to be able to visit, despite living so close.

Edited by vaughan45

• RMweb Gold

The 7mmNGA stand will now not be attending the show either due to the weather. We are expecting the snow any minute now in Derby, with it predicted to carry on for much of the evening/night, it is just not worth it.

Shall be sad to miss the show, as it’s one of the highlights of the year for me, but I’d rather be home and safe than out on the roads in this weather.

Good to see that the public part of the website has been updated at last:

http://www.gauge0guild.com/events/events.aspx

When I went onto the Guild website first thing this morning, there was a scrolling banner across the top of the home page saying that the show would be going ahead. Presume you missed that?

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 1