OO9 locos and rolling stock on a budget

Hey,

Just wanted to start this topic, mainly for my own queries. However it should help others also.

Simple question, OO9 is a niche market and therefore RTR is understandably much more expensive. The cheapest things I've come across is Bachmann Thomas and friends which is still limited. So are there any other kits or things like that which can be bought on a budget?

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Secondhand the 009 society is the best option by far :)

Registering at NGRMonline is well worth it too and there is a sales section.

Dundas Models are one of the most comprehensive suppliers of 009 kits with a huge range of the various manufacturers current offerings.

https://dundasmodels.co.uk/webstore/index.php

Narrow Planet is a collective of modellers producing kits, several are active on here too.

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk

Edited by PaulRhB

To a certain degree this may not help you owing to you being in the Middle East, eBay is well worth following. Some items are expensive on the other hand others are quite reasonable. Recently I bought a poorly listed larger lot, most of the items were not of interest so I separated those I wanted, then sold those not wanted in smaller groups which all sold well. I ended up about even with the items I wanted for free. Not saying do this but just keep looking

I also bought a couple of Kato 4 wheel chassis and a cheap etched kit whih was both cheap and easy to build

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/009-BOX-CAB-KIT-Etched-brass-bodyshell-Easy-to-make-starter-kit/142684410281?hash=item2138a751a9:g:6x4AAOSw2GlXEry-

I put a pantograph on the roof, just need to search my spares box for some furniture for the loco ends, the company do several styles including one using the Kato BO BO chassis. My plans hace changed since buying a Beamo H0m loco so doing a continental H0m and H0e dual gauge layout

Recabbing US outline N gauge diesel shunters offer a low budget option (folk like ModelPower and Bachmann do cheapies). Just don't forget to replace things like handrails, lamps and other details, otherwise it'll just look like a recabbed N gauge diesel shunter ;).

• Like 1

Using cheap but good - because well developed and proven in demanding market - mechanisms is the budget way forward. Then you can do the funky things that NG is so well suited to.

A one time colleague had a horizontal helix wagon tippler which was just the funniest thing. Utilising the superpower of neo magnets he had obtained as scrap (on my signature) from our then employer (the field strength was actually too high) the train, loco and all, ran into the helix and the whole train inverted and unloaded as it went through. Worthy of Triang/Walthers at their maximum play value best. The funniest bit was the hinged arms brakeman in the caboose, hanging from the rear handrail while the train was inverted.

• Like 1