Maplin administration

Jonboy

• RMweb Premium

It's getting kind of depressing in here now, and we're not in the next round of closures (58 next week).

Thank goodness tomorrow is my last day. It will be a long and boring shift.

post-32504-0-51897900-1526581143_thumb.jpg

post-32504-0-88121200-1526581165_thumb.jpg

Absolutely agree with that...been through a few of the Maplin temperature controlled irons as they fail quite often. I vowed when the current one goes I'll invest in something much more reliable and that will actually last. The few Maplins electrical tools I bought over the years all failed, and were obviously built down to a price.

I recommend Hakko , so good it’s constantly copied

Imagine what a thread like this would have been like when Dublo ceased if there had been internet fora then.

It was bad enough around the Clubs which at that time was where most Modellers compared notes (sitting around an unfinished layout drinking tea). The RTR types bemoaning it's passing and the finescale ones pretending that it did not matter. Didn't last long as Wrenn took over the most missed HD items.

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It was bad enough around the Clubs which at that time was where most Modellers compared notes (sitting around an unfinished layout drinking tea). The RTR types bemoaning it's passing and the finescale ones pretending that it did not matter. Didn't last long as Wrenn took over the most missed HD items.

best wishes,

Ian

And Hattons spent years selling off all the remaining HD stock.

They even found some recently when they were having a clear out.

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So on Friday at 6pm I did my last shift at Maplin Coleraine,post-32504-0-08426100-1526936191_thumb.jpg

and, after spending Saturday at the North West 200 and doing very little yesterday, today I did my first official shift as a phone technician / sales advisor at CMC.post-32504-0-96517300-1526936369_thumb.jpg

Edited by StevieD71
  • Like 3

I was in Maplin in Stockport yesterday and bought a thermocouple to have a spare. The board on the wall said things priced at £4.99 were down to £2 but when I went to pay for it they charged me £2.49 and just said the sign was wrong.

I offered them £30 for a 1000w quasi-sine-wave inverter that they have marked down to £65 but they were not interested. You can get them on Ebay for £69. I was vaguely interested in having a backup for the one that is in constant use.

...R

• RMweb Premium

Maplin's last day in Birmingham did (at last) have some real bargains if you were tempted.

e.g. small component racks complete with a mix of components (listed) value up to £20 or more - £5 including rack.

Presumably anything not sold today will be moved on until they have just a few shops still open.

Slowly, but surely my reasons to visit Birmingham City centre are dis-appearing.

I went into Maplin every Thursday, they were useful for small bits and bobs which didn't cost too much. Can't do that any more.

I also used to visit the large WHSmith City Centre store and sometimes found stuff I wanted, as well as regularly buying magazines there. It has re-located to a unit probably less than a quarter of the floor area of the previous one.

I now find it difficult to see anything I want, so It's another store I don't go to any more.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• 8 months later...

It looks a lot more like a gadget reseller than a component store now.

Possibly some of the Pi and Micro:bit bits might be useful in a model railway context - I haven't checked whether they're more competitively priced though than the other suppliers - the old Maplin was only worth it if you ran out of something and needed it *now* from one of their shops.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, sharris said:

It looks a lot more like a gadget reseller than a component store now.

Possibly some of the Pi and Micro:bit bits might be useful in a model railway context - I haven't checked whether they're more competitively priced though than the other suppliers - the old Maplin was only worth it if you ran out of something and needed it *now* from one of their shops.

Raspberry Pi 3 B+  is a lot more than e.g. Rapidonline. £41 against £34.07.

• Informative/Useful 1

All perfectly legal, but I do not like these people who come along and buy the name for a pittance, and then resurrect the history to which they have contributed nothing.

Just spare a thought for all the employees and suppliers who were shafted and lost a lot of money..

Having been through that I know what it is like.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

10 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

and critically they don't carry the rechargeable batteries :(

...nor it seems much else that I am looking for  - searched for dpdt switches and it asked me if I meant 'dust'...

• Agree 1