Maplin administration

Jonboy

• RMweb Premium

The job on the checkouts in Aldi must have been more "interesting" in the early days in the UK before bar code scanners where to save having to put price labels on everything, the checkout staff had to memorise the price of everything the shop sold.

I found it quite impressive that it all worked, though of course there was no real check that the correct prices had actually been rung up.

(Edit): Big Jim has kindly pointed out that it would have been Kwiksave not Aldi...

Aldi as well, I never used Kwik Save.

Also no cards accepted in those days and all products were "own brand"

It's changed a lot since then.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

That was definitely an Aldi thing too.

Maplin related - I ordered a load of batteries and a couple of other bits. Other bits turned up, no batteries... Haven't heard back from their customer services team after 3 days.

• RMweb Premium

That was definitely an Aldi thing too.

Maplin related - I ordered a load of batteries and a couple of other bits. Other bits turned up, no batteries... Haven't heard back from their customer services team after 3 days.

The customer services team are an elusive bunch at the minute. We have trouble getting hold of them from the shop.

They keep sending emails about procedures through, so they are still there.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry I should have followed up - the eventually did get back to me, and declared my parcel lost, a new one was despatched (and as it happens is due this morning).

I wished them well for the future (as I do yourself).

I tried to make an online purchase from Maplin yesterday but was not successful,  I telephoned the shop and they told me the service had been withdrawn,  you can no longer reserve or purchase goods on line, or pay over the telephone.  The assistant siad it is first come first served sales from now , therefore they are not allowed to put goods aside when requested.

Also he said the stock level computers are no longer accurate for quantities.

Edited by Pandora

• RMweb Premium

Latest in Birmingham

No cut lengths anymore, you have to buy the whole of the remainder on a spool/drum whether cable or led strips etc. NO more discount than was already on.

Components are now "lucky dip". You buy a drawer full or set of drawers with components for a fixed price and get what comes.

I commented that the staff at the shop were still remarkably cheery & helpful considering they will all be on the dole shortly. The guy replied "you have to be, what's the point of being miserable".

I hope with that attitude he finds another job quickly.

Keith

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Must double check that tomorrow. We are still cutting cable to lengths for customers.

On the whole the staff seem to be making the best of a bad situation in most stores. There is a Maplin colleagues only Facebook page with some hilarious stuff on it.

• RMweb Premium

Must double check that tomorrow. We are still cutting cable to lengths for customers.

On the whole the staff seem to be making the best of a bad situation in most stores. There is a Maplin colleagues only Facebook page with some hilarious stuff on it.

All the cable in Birmingham was out on a table with the price for the remainder on the drum.

The LEDs in strips which come in 5cm nibbles were on a shelf without a price but on the system it showed the remaining quantity available and the price they would be.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a job interview in half an hour with a local mobile/computer/console sales and repair shop. Nerves are beginning to get jittery. I think it's worse because I'm friendly with the owner. He lives at the other side of my street and our daughters play together.

• RMweb Premium

So, the end is nigh. The website will be closing on Monday and the first wave of shop closures begins next Saturday.  There are 10 stores in the first wave but only the stores that are closing have been informed and so far no-one has leaked any further info.

• RMweb Premium

Birmingham Yesterday still had a fair bit of stock. Components are still hiding in the back room.

Discount on some items (e.g. connecting cables sauch as HDMI) now 60% off

Some areas looking somewhat depleted such as kits & projects.

Still a fair bit of CCTV stuff.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Any news on the outcome yet?

Keith

Nothing solid yet. Had a message about another meeting but haven't been given a time or date for it yet.

It's funny you should mention about Birmingham still having CCTV. That was one of the first things we sold out of. We are also out of routers, power line adapters and almost all of our smart home stock.

There is a lot of own brand stock arriving. It's obviously stuff that was ordered months ago and is only now arriving in the country.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nothing solid yet. Had a message about another meeting but haven't been given a time or date for it yet.

It's funny you should mention about Birmingham still having CCTV. That was one of the first things we sold out of. We are also out of routers, power line adapters and almost all of our smart home stock.

There is a lot of own brand stock arriving. It's obviously stuff that was ordered months ago and is only now arriving in the country.

Birmingham's CCTV and similar smart home items covered most of one wall and are now down to about a quarter but still a reasonabe choice.

Doesn't seem to be much action on small components. Those behind the back counter in racks/drawers still seem to be there but little in the way of promotion to get them sold.

There are quite a few empty shelves in the shop now and the fixtures and fittings are being sold as they become free.

I suppose the warehouses are also being cleared out with the stock going to those shops that are best performers?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

We have cleared our warehouse and everything is on the shop floor. We sold the green storage bins that the resistors stayed in, so they are all counted and bagged in a tote. We also sold the connector drawers and had to hang them all back up again. Any stock left in the stores that next weekend will be redistributed to locations where is will sell better.

Here in Coleraine we have been one of the top 5 stores in the company based on SPR for the last 4 years and are still posting quite strong figures, despite running out of all the high end stuff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We've had a few customers come in and grab baskets full, so we let them keep the baskets as a momento.

We've had a few customers come in and grab baskets full, so we let them keep the baskets as a momento.

• RMweb Premium

So, I spoke to my prospective new boss last night and he wants me onboard. I went down for a 5 hour trial shift today to see what the job is like and if it's something I would like to do. I spent the shift with the technicians watching them do repairs and also did pdi tests on refurbished phones. Needless to say, as it involves messing about with electronics, I'm in!

Mariusz (the boss) is coming over for a cup of coffee tonight and we are going to work out contract details, start date etc.

I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

• Like 5

I'm going to miss Maplins for all my gadgets, components and projects.  I hate amazon with a vengeance and nowhere else sells any of that stuff in-store :(  PC World doesn't do any of it either.

Wish you all the best for the future guys.  Good luck