The Yorkshire Steam Railway: All Aboard" Channel 5 Fridays

it's-er

I think it would have been far better if instead of focusing on a couple of select individuals they instead followed lots of different staff in different roles.  This would give you a behind the scenes of the many varied roles that people could volunteer for and probably portray the railway in a better light.  Instead we have lots of drama and it looks more like a death trap and not ran very well.

• RMweb Gold

This programme isn't for us 'experts'!  It is for the general masses who neither know nor care about the stuff that we do. 

If everything went to plan and there was no drama the programme wouldn't entertain the masses and the Producer knows that.  So they make all of this stuff up and that way it adds to the excitement for the great unwashed sat at home having to have explained to them in three minutes time what they have just seen.  It is telly get over it.

If as a series it gets people who have never heard of the NYMR or travelled on it to visit and spend money then it has done it's job.  Who knows it may also enlighten some that have no idea about preserved railways and they may then visit one elsewhere in the Country.  If so job done.

Obviously there is no need for Piglet to drive his car or ride his bike to the other stations to see what happens because he could just as easily travel on the train.  That wouldn't be as exciting for the viewer.  Don't forget the average viewer needs to be entertained otherwise they will change channels and watch some other inane drivel.

Why can't we just sit and watch it and think the countryside and scenery looks good and see a bit of preserved stock that some of us will never see?  Just accept it for what it is, light entertainment. 

• Like 2

This programme isn't for us 'experts'!  It is for the general masses who neither know nor care about the stuff that we do. 

If everything went to plan and there was no drama the programme wouldn't entertain the masses and the Producer knows that.  So they make all of this stuff up and that way it adds to the excitement for the great unwashed sat at home having to have explained to them in three minutes time what they have just seen.  It is telly get over it.

If as a series it gets people who have never heard of the NYMR or travelled on it to visit and spend money then it has done it's job.  Who knows it may also enlighten some that have no idea about preserved railways and they may then visit one elsewhere in the Country.  If so job done.

Obviously there is no need for Piglet to drive his car or ride his bike to the other stations to see what happens because he could just as easily travel on the train.  That wouldn't be as exciting for the viewer.  Don't forget the average viewer needs to be entertained otherwise they will change channels and watch some other inane drivel.

Why can't we just sit and watch it and think the countryside and scenery looks good and see a bit of preserved stock that some of us will never see?  Just accept it for what it is, light entertainment. 

That won't do.

I suppose I'm a bit Rethian about these things, but his maxim that broadcasting should aspire to "educate, inform and entertain" is a pretty good one, that perhaps should be remembered by modern programme makers, who can't be bothered with the first two concepts, and believe that the "general masses" can be fed any old pap in the name of light entertainment.

• RMweb Gold

I agree to the point that it 'should be' but am realistic to know that it isn't and it isn't going to change.  Dumbing down is with us and will no doubt get worse as the years go on.  There are literally thousands of channels and programmes to watch so these days making a programme is far different from when we had two channels to choose from and they closed at 10pm!

What you would like and what I would like, be that educational or whatever is of no concern to the average telly watcher and the makers know that.

Never mind 'will it fit' or turntable trouble, surely the biggest non-cliffhanger was the on-board proposal ? The poor girl was never going to say 'no thanks' while being filmed and surrounded by people (although she could of course have changed her mind since !)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That won't do.

I suppose I'm a bit Rethian about these things, but his maxim that broadcasting should aspire to "educate, inform and entertain" is a pretty good one, that perhaps should be remembered by modern programme makers, who can't be bothered with the first two concepts, and believe that the "general masses" can be fed any old pap in the name of light entertainment.

If you want to be Reithian, you'd better be true to your mojo and watch BBC! This is Channel 5 after all!

John Storey

If you want to be Reithian, you'd better be true to your mojo and watch BBC! This is Channel 5 after all!

John Storey

I mainly do.

The advertisments on the commercial channels are simply frightful!  :sungum:

Actually, I finally got around to watching it, the scratched coach was, well, something that might have happened.  The dodgy turntable and the contracted out buffet car refurbishment were probably things that had been sorted out a while ago, but were included and dramatised for suspense.

The silly publicity wonk should be on a fizzer after letting so many buckshee tickets out on a busy weekend*, her scheme to photobomb the bike race daft, and the proposal episode was just embarassing.

Apart from that, it was ok, I'll record and watch the next (final?) programme.

* Though seeing how relaxed senior management were over it, I feel it must have been a stunt covered by the production budget.....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

I mainly do.

The advertisments on the commercial channels are simply frightful!  :sungum:

Actually, I finally got around to watching it, the scratched coach was, well, something that might have happened.  The dodgy turntable and the contracted out buffet car refurbishment were probably things that had been sorted out a while ago, but were included and dramatised for suspense.

The silly publicity wonk should be on a fizzer after letting so many buckshee tickets out on a busy weekend*, her scheme to photobomb the bike race daft, and the proposal episode was just embarassing.

Apart from that, it was ok, I'll record and watch the next (final?) programme.

* Though seeing how relaxed senior management were over it, I feel it must have been a stunt covered by the production budget.....

Although the programme said she'd cost the railway X thousand pounds, how many of those teachers only came because it was free and wouldn't have done otherwise? If most of them were in that category, then their free tickets haven't cost the railway anything - and they may each lead to a school trip of 30 or so paying children in due course.

• RMweb Premium

Although the programme said she'd cost the railway X thousand pounds, how many of those teachers only came because it was free and wouldn't have done otherwise? If most of them were in that category, then their free tickets haven't cost the railway anything - and they may each lead to a school trip of 30 or so paying children in due course.

Surely they would only hae "cost" the railway if they were occupying seats to the exclusion of paying passengers.

Anyway in TV productions the reimbursement of "losses" by a production company is a fact.  Many of the "find an antique, buy it at a heavy discount then still sell it for less" type shows repay the discount, as confirmed to me by a number of dealers of my acquaintance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder what tonight’s exciting episode will bring..........

Will the turntable go round and round ?

Will we run out of water before Levisham?

Will the chef throw a strop because her soufflé doesn’t rise?

It’s almost too much.

I will watch it , though. The scenery is absolutely stunning and I think is showing the Railway very well.

• Like 1

Agree - I PVR everything and watch later (possibly whilst still being recorded) so I can skip the adverts; chops down the running time of the programs significantly, one 2 hour ITV program ran for a good half hour less.

Some of the '4' channels have more ads than content. An hour long marvel's agents of shield episode usually only has 30 minutes of storyline.  

• RMweb Gold

Pleased that you have been encouraged to visit which surely was one of the main aims of the NYMR getting involved in the programme.  Also pleased that you have not been put off by the false jeopardy and poor continuity that seems to have upset so many in here.

Having visited it on numerous occasions over the years I can safely say it will be well worth your while.  I will take a chance here on being attacked by some but I like to travel on the DMU as you get to see the track and views a lot better.

• RMweb Premium

Pleased that you have been encouraged to visit which surely was one of the main aims of the NYMR getting involved in the programme.  Also pleased that you have not been put off by the false jeopardy and poor continuity that seems to have upset so many in here.

Having visited it on numerous occasions over the years I can safely say it will be well worth your while.  I will take a chance here on being attacked by some but I like to travel on the DMU as you get to see the track and views a lot better.

DMU (Class 101)  trips are worth their while anytime; there is a particularly good run on the nearby Wensleydale Railway on  their 101 (Leeming Bar, Bedale, Leyburn, Redmire). Wensleydale Railway needs all the support it can get, so visit it if you can; It doesn't have the kudos of these railways such as the NYMR or the GCR, but if you like a great rail ride with wonderful scenery (and good eating in Bedale and Leyburn) there is a good reason to support it.

Edited by Francis deWeck

I’ve been to NYMR a few times for Galas Steam and Diesel etc but lately I’ve found that there is a big anti Diesel air about the place. I was once told by a member of the station staff at Grosmont we hate you Diesel mob. What people got to remember is most railways have to operate both sometimes, after all the Diesels are a part of the Heritage scene and most youngsters don’t know steam.

• RMweb Gold

DMU (Class 101)  trips are worth their while anytime; there is a particularly good run on the nearby Wensleydale Railway on  their 101 (Leeming Bar, Bedale, Leyburn, Redmire). Wensleydale Railway needs all the support it can get, so visit it if you can; It doesn't have the kudos of these railways such as the NYMR or the GCR, but if you like a great rail ride with wonderful scenery (and good eating in Bedale and Leyburn) there is a good reason to support it.

Did that line when they had a Deltic as a guest.  It has to be said not the most interesting but I always think a DMU adds to the interest.  Oh to do the Settle to Carlisle on one!  I always visit any preserved railway when staying close to one.

I’ve been to NYMR a few times for Galas Steam and Diesel etc but lately I’ve found that there is a big anti Diesel air about the place. I was once told by a member of the station staff at Grosmont we hate you Diesel mob. What people got to remember is most railways have to operate both sometimes, after all the Diesels are a part of the Heritage scene and most youngsters don’t know steam.

Some people do have extreme views and I have little doubt that some of the staff would have that opinion but to my mind they should never ever express it to a paying visitor.  I suspect the Diesel Gala would wind then up a treat then!  If it is a preserved railway then 'anything' that is preserved has a rightful place there and if it attracts visitors it is doing what it is supposed to.  I am not overly fussed what I travel behind and can't be doing with extreme views that have no understanding how the preserved railway make a living.

That is absolutely fine Torper but I doubt (hope) you would be so narrow minded as to suggest that diesels have no place there.

Especially considering how diesels bailed them out during a fire risk ban through the National Park one Summer. Wasn't one dragged from a Scrapyard as a temporary measure because of this in the 70s, and never left...?

• RMweb Gold

Photo bombing the Tour de Yorkshire gets your railway in front of a huge TV audience of cycling fans around the world.  There are plenty of people out there wanting to ride the same routes that races follow and any serious tourist attraction will want to get themselves known to such people.

If you haven't watched live cycle racing on the TV you may not be aware that during the (many) periods of nothing exciting happening the places the race goes through get plenty of coverage from the commentators and the helicopter video feed.   It's only a few days ago that the Worth Valley were sending out images on their social media feeds for this year's race when the trophy went on a tour of the route, keep a look out for both the Worth Valley and the Embsay & Bolton Abbey railways on Sunday May 4th.  The NYMR might get a mention the day before as the course runs west to east through Pickering but not right past the railway this year.

Martin C

Did that line when they had a Deltic as a guest.  It has to be said not the most interesting but I always think a DMU adds to the interest.  Oh to do the Settle to Carlisle on one!  I always visit any preserved railway when staying close to one.

Some people do have extreme views and I have little doubt that some of the staff would have that opinion but to my mind they should never ever express it to a paying visitor.  I suspect the Diesel Gala would wind then up a treat then!  If it is a preserved railway then 'anything' that is preserved has a rightful place there and if it attracts visitors it is doing what it is supposed to.  I am not overly fussed what I travel behind and can't be doing with extreme views that have no understanding how the preserved railway make a living.

Yes I agree,but at the time I was also a member of the NYMR but there just enjoying the gala.The NYMR has lost’d its edge for me,no Spring Steam gala this year,no more Diesel galas so the membership didn’t get renewed. If the NYMR wants to see how Diesel and Steam work together take a look at the SVR.