Network Southeast snow train

• RMweb Premium

I’m looking for info on the snow blower and train that NSE bought in the late eighties. Am I right in thinking that it was never used in anger and then moved up to Scotland after privatisation? I think it’s still around, and will be very busy today!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m looking for info on the snow blower and train that NSE bought in the late eighties. Am I right in thinking that it was never used in anger and then moved up to Scotland after privatisation? I think it’s still around, and will be very busy today!

You mean this one?

http://www.ontrackplant.com/otp/968501

Dave

• Like 1

Few years ago I has tried to Hornby make snowblower with two closed van of highland stag livery based Inverness depot for 00 gauge but Hornby never make one by I was disappointed that why I do want buy snowblower pack set

But roco has made snowblower for H0 gauge now by not match same model of uk

post-1297-0-74560300-1520065197.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest given the current weather, what 'heavy-duty' stuff is in use today?

Are there any loco propelled ploughs - thinking of either the purpose built 'tender'-sized ones or the Beilhacks (look like they're mounted on a cl.40 bogie, as indeed early ones were)?

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't it in one of the James Bond movies that one of the villains skied into a rotary snow plough resulting in pink snow?

Yes but I think it was a road snow blower rather than rail.

Out of interest given the current weather, what 'heavy-duty' stuff is in use today?

Are there any loco propelled ploughs - thinking of either the purpose built 'tender'-sized ones or the Beilhacks (look like they're mounted on a cl.40 bogie, as indeed early ones were)?

They do have the Bellihacks still I think they are some around Buxton.

They also have the independent snow ploughs what might be used on the S&C tomorrow hopefully.  

There were a couple of photos from Big Jim is his 'Down by the tracks with Colas' thread yesterday (the link should jump to the correct post)

The NSE Snow blower visited a lot of open days in it's life down south, and did get out in the snow, but likely just as standby as deep snow was very rare. Pic below from the late Barrie Swann of the train in TWY in the 1990s.

post-1373-0-30573700-1520092856_thumb.jpg

Picture at Chart Leacon open day in 1989.

post-1373-0-09303400-1520093005_thumb.jpg

I have had plans to model this train for many years, I will get round to it in time.

Below are sketches of the coaches.

post-1373-0-26280500-1520093092_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-66230700-1520093108_thumb.jpg

I do have an official plan of the blower to aid it's construction.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Hi,

I too have a project underway to produce this train for my Stewarts Lane layout, these being overlays for the two Mk1 coaches...'Ptarmigan' and 'Polar Bear'...

post-7088-0-52102000-1520117134.jpg

...unfortunately, the project is on hold waiting a suitable opportunity to continue...

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 7

AFAIK there isn't sufficient depth of snow to justify the use of the blower at the moment.

Actually, the ex NSE snowblower was sent out this evening to work between Carstairs and Abington, reports of 10ft drifts in areas.

Beilhacks and independent ploughs have been out for the last three days as have locos with mini ploughs.

Edited by Simon Bendall
  • Like 2

Wasn't it in one of the James Bond movies that one of the villains skied into a rotary snow plough resulting in pink snow?

In the novel; On Her Majesty's Secret Service, I think the chapter title was "Bloody Snow" one of Blofeld's henchmen skis in front of a snow blowing train.  As has been mentioned, I think it was a road-going snow blower in the film adaptation.