Why has the quality become so poor?

Denbridge

• RMweb Premium

Superb thread drift!  :)

One of the best really. Many people have had to leave RMW after an intervention by the mad Duck as they can not cope with such sharp diversion from the theme and, of course, the toilet wall level of humour.

The Duck is probably on a Final Warning or at least a yellow card.

Ar$£  

• RMweb Premium

And goodness knows where we'd be led if Kenton was around...…….

Spooky, I was just thinking I had not seen 'him' for a very long time. Maybe he passed away and nobody CBA to tell us? That would be sad. I hope SWMBO makes sure I'm reported as having pegged it.

P

• Like 1

Spooky, I was just thinking I had not seen 'him' for a very long time. Maybe he passed away and nobody CBA to tell us? That would be sad. I hope SWMBO makes sure I'm reported as having pegged it.

P

If I passed away, you'd probably hear the party from Grantham to Bournemouth. :scared:  :no:  :no:  :no:

P

He can't get a data signal on Tracey Island.

Right

Come on

I’d like to see all youse try to make a magazine as good as the BRM. What they do is hard and everyone can’t be pleased. Simply if you’re not happy don’t read it. There are plenty of people who are perfectly happy.

• RMweb Gold

Right

Come on

I’d like to see all youse try to make a magazine as good as the BRM. What they do is hard and everyone can’t be pleased. Simply if you’re not happy don’t read it. There are plenty of people who are perfectly happy.

I know exactly what you mean. It is difficult to get it all right working to stiff deadlines.

That said, I do think they have had a few more problems since the change of editor, with the new man not being an experienced railway modeller himself.

I know exactly what you mean. It is difficult to get it all right working to stiff deadlines.

That said, I do think they have had a few more problems since the change of editor, with the new man not being an experienced railway modeller himself.

Fair enough. No harm to the man but why would a man who isn’t a Railway modeller become the editor of the uk’s most prolific Railway modelling magazine?

• RMweb Premium

Right

Come on

Well there you go.......

P

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough. No harm to the man but why would a man who isn’t a Railway modeller become the editor of the uk’s most prolific Railway modelling magazine?

Because the publisher wanted him to do it. Or so I assume.

• Administrators

Because there is a lot more to putting a magazine out than knowing about toy trains. Andy has Howard, me and Andy Y to know the nerdy stuff, or at least pretend to do. But, knowing how many rivets should be a on a GWR footplate isn't enough to make sure all the various plates that need to be kept spinning to get BRM and all the electronic publications out of the door ARE kept rotating.

From our point of view, it's helpful to have someone on the team asking the more basic questions that the majority of our readership are asking. We can tend to become too highbrow you know...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, I also find the large amount of typos a problem in BRM. That should be a basic for any publication and there have been significant errors in the editions I have read recently. For example in the July edition:

P24/25 duplication of the word "so" on both sides of page break

P35 duplicated caption on steps 31 and 36

no indication of the end of the article, leaving me to wonder where the rest was

P54 caption 11 missing. "layout latin" still present

I acknowledge that the question of track plans is one which has been discussed a lot before, but the "shelfie" article to me is one where it should have been essential to include the plan, because the article is about layout planning.

Because he thinks we are all wonderful people.

Excellent answer Andy. I accept your and phil’s points. If someone picks up the magazine they need to see simple stuff. After all, we do want more people to take up the hobby. Well done to the BRM.

He may see other challenges in taking the role: Learning about something he doesn't understand; developing the brand; and, crucially, the challenge of evolving the magazine to take advantage of rapidly developing technology in the digital world.

I'd be amazed if Warners did run some sort of process when the new editor was hired. I'd expect that as part of that process, candidates would have been asked for their thoughts on the magazine, what they see as its stregnths and weaknesses, how they see it evolving and how they'd manage that evolution, how they'd grow the magazine (and make Warners more money), etc. As with any business, you don't have to be the subject matter expert to be able to run it effectively. In any event, the "subject matter expert" here is journalism and publishing not model railways. I don't doubt that an appreciation and sympathy for the latter is helpful - it would be hard to do the job without it. But its not essential.

Personally, Ive found the articles Andy's written of him making entry level kits quite enjoyable. I don't think you can fault his willingness to get his hands dirty at the practical end of the hobby. Ditto if he's visiting shows on his weekend.

David