Why has the quality become so poor?

Denbridge

• RMweb Gold

It's important to never split infinitives.

You should never use a preposition to end a sentence with.

And you should never start a sentence with "and" or "but".

But not always.

You should never end a sentence with with.

Unless you can't think of anything else to end it with.

• Funny 1

I read this thread with more than a bit of interest and a bit of envy.  Between my father and I, we've been subscribers to the well known American model railroading magazine since the late 1950s until just recently, and the second most well known since about 2000.  Every issue seemed to get smaller and smaller with less and less articles of interest.  About 8 years ago I stumbled on a British railway modelling magazine at a book store.  I now subscribe to 2 British mags hardcopy, 1 digital and 1 other I buy digitally about 4 times per year.  Why?  Cause, to be blunt, you Brits have a great modelling press.  There has yet to be an issue that I haven't found three or four articles of interest and photos that I can learn from.  Yes, none of y'all's mags are perfect, but the number of articles, and the number and quality of photographs is far above what I can get here if I buy domestically.   As an added benefit, through them (and this website) I'm learning a new language!  (I'm chuffed - is that the correct word?)      (Edited to correct typos)

Edited by davefromacrossthepond
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
I'm learning a new language! I'm chuffed - is that the correct word?

Fluent, dear boy, fluent!

You have pm re; mags

Bernie

edit, Argh, I've failed at the quote!

Edited by Finsbury

I get the feeling that BRM is aimed more at those starting out in this hobby rather than people like me who have been involved in model railways for more than 50 years. That's good because, as has been said before, the way into the hobby does need to be made as easy as possible. Articles on basics and things that I would see as obvious are very important for those who haven't been buying railway modelling magazines since the 1960s. On this basis it does what it does well and having editorial input from someone not involved in the hobby could well be a good thing. In the context of helping the less experienced I would have thought showing a track plan of featured layouts would have been rated as very useful. 

The quality of paper doesn't seem to be as high some other modelling magazine but, if it helps to keep the magazine in profit and therefore going, then that is fine. I'm sure it uses the same standards and facilities as all other Warners publications and doing anything different couldn't possibly be cost effective.The standard of printing is usually ok but all processes will have an occasional glitch.

Andy & co are good sports in letting a thread like this run; i'm sure there are not many moderators who would allow such criticism of the forum funders.