British rail Blue era point motor appearance

I would appreciate some guidance from anyone who knows, as searching the internet is proving a little vague.

I am currently making a layout based on the BR blue era around the early 80’s. I want to accurately portray the turnouts but I’m unsure what the point motors would have looked like back then. They won’t be manual lever and rodding type, more the electrical type as the images I’m basing it on show the signal box is disused. I have no idea what I’m looking for. Does anyone have any information? They will be scratchbuilt dummy motors as I’m adding manual operation under the the layout baseboard.

Thanks.

Pete

Edited by Peterkern23

From the factory, or after refurbishment at Crewe S&T works, point machines were painted mid grey. This quickly weathered as brake dust and diesel smut landed on it. Two exceptions were the HW and EP motors which had white GRP hoods when new. Didn’t stay that way for long.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know when the Westinghouse Style 63 Point Machine was in production, but I do have an Instruction Book for the type.

The only photo of the complete machine shows it with the cover open:

post-5204-0-57334600-1519941165_thumb.jpg

There is however a fold out drawing of the machine:

post-5204-0-63294100-1519941098_thumb.jpg

It says the
"Standard finish is as follows:-

Exterior: Paint to BSS.381C shade 632 grey (Brushed on)

Interior of main cover: Special anti-condensation paint

Interior of box: Yellow oil-resistant paint"

• RMweb Gold

Westinghouse Style 63 was introduced in 1968. I believe that the 3-phase version may still available from Siemens Australia. They certainly had a data sheet for it in 2014.

In UK the Surelock machine was the replacement from Westinghouse/Invensys/Siemens.

I'm no expert on air points as they were never on the area I worked but did see them a couple of times over in the Tees yard area. I think they were quite similar designs and similar layout. The air supply was in pipes as I recall but again my memories from the early 90's are sketchy.

• RMweb Premium

I'm no expert on air points as they were never on the area I worked but did see them a couple of times over in the Tees yard area. I think they were quite similar designs and similar layout. The air supply was in pipes as I recall but again my memories from the early 90's are sketchy.

The "air points", or EP (Electro-Pneumatic) to give them their correct name, were used all over the NER area, Berwick, Newcastle, Darlington, York, Hull, Leeds, etc. Largely replaced with Clamp Lock points during resignalling schemes from the 80s onwards. Another type of electric point machine also in use was the AEI.

Regards, Ian.

Around Darlington late 80's there were no air points unfortunately to see, mainly M63 and SGE, these were soon replaced by the clamp locks in the early 90's SSI re-signalling- ironically many have now been put back to HW2000 point machines.

• RMweb Gold

Here is a pic of a scratchbuilt dummy Westinghouse point motor on Heaton Lodge which is set in the early '80's. The yellow box is a track circuit detector

That's a model? Pull the other one....

Andi

• RMweb Premium

The yellow box is a track circuit detector

The yellow box(es) - for Aster tuned track circuits, one is the transformer, the other one is the tuning unit.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Iands thanks for that info I didn't realise the two parts were different. Am I right in thinking the two cables do actually attach to the rails? 

Peterkern23 its 7mm O gauge. Sorry for the hijack of the thread!

They may possibly be TI21 track circuits, which were developed on the Aster principle. The details are in this document. https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GKRC0761%20Iss%201.pdf

If you look around on the RGS site there are handbooks for all sorts of equipment lurking, especially in the withdrawn documents.

• RMweb Premium

Iands thanks for that info I didn't realise the two parts were different. Am I right in thinking the two cables do actually attach to the rails? 

Hi 'HeatonLodge40',

Yes, there will be a cable to each rail from the unit. What you have depicted in your model is a "centre-fed" track circuit with the two units mounted back-to-back on the stake in the ground. There is another "standard" configuration whereby 3 units are installed 2-3 yards apart in a line, a tuning unit, a transformer, and another tuning unit. By the way, the units could also be coloured white as well as yellow, although they didn't stay white for very long!

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They may possibly be TI21 track circuits, which were developed on the Aster principle. The details are in this document. https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GKRC0761%20Iss%201.pdf

If you look around on the RGS site there are handbooks for all sorts of equipment lurking, especially in the withdrawn documents.

Thanks 'SignalEngineer',

That could explain the difference between white and yellow units, something so simple I hadn't considered before. Whilst I've worked on Aster tracks in my youth, I don't recall ever working on TI21 track circuits - and the 'Aster' units were always 'white' (at least they started out being white, but quite quickly became a dirty brown colour).

Regards, Ian.

Not at all. It’s very nice!