A new Gn15 layout

Robatron86

Having previously dabbled in narrow gauge, I have decided to return to Gn15.

Starting with my scratchbuilt critter.

DSC_0205.jpg

And my open gondola wagon.

DSC_0207.jpg

The loop has been laid on the board.

DSC_0214.jpg

I hope you enjoy.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Luke and Les.

Some structures are now appearing on the layout. The engine shed will be part of a larger workshop of sorts, which will be low relief in front of the rear part of the loop.

The back of the engine shed will be curved to follow the curve of the loop to make it look like it isn't a roundy roundy. I hope that makes sense.

The fuel tank is a left over from my HO days. It will receive larger diameter pipe work than it has now.

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in updates, sadly real life does get in the way.

More work done to the shed.

DSC_0270.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

And thanks to my son, we have a road vehicle for the layout. There is a rather convoluted back story as to how this ended up on an English estate railway.

DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

It has taken approximately 5 hours of work to get this stage with it!

• Like 4

Latest update:

I ordered some 1:12 dolls house hinges for the shed, and they seem to fit in nicely. These were repainted and weathered.

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

The white ball is the door knob. I have also fitted a working latch to actually close the door.

I have also revisited my only piece of rolling stock, the open gondola. The bogies were tweaked so they will go round the tight corners, it has been weighted and a load has been added. It performs much better now.

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

I have started to experiment with couplers. Just blocks of wood with a pin, and a chain to attach the two. Seems to fit the style.

• Like 5

Might be a bit late to the party on this, but have you considered extending the headshunt across the main via a diamond crossing, to give yourself more room?

Like this...

post-4919-0-36808600-1528230748.jpg

It'd also give you a way to extend the layout if you fancied it, or add in staging cassettes. :D

Edited by DanielB

The link doesn't work Nick, but the possible back story I had is the son of a wealthy English estate owner was living the life racing trucks in the US in the late 60's, early 70's when the untimely death of his father meant he had to come back home to manage the estate and didn't want to leave his truck behind so he had it shipped across to be used as a personal vehicle on the estate.