School Project - The Victorian Railway

If we can get it working successfully, then I expect I will release it and probably order one for myself eventually! As it stands, James will be the first to order one!

Actually...

Will it be the first, operational, 4mm scale model of Derwent produced as of yet?

Commercially, as a kit, it would be the first hackworth loco, though Mike Sharman did scratchbuild at least one of these, which is the only such model I'm aware of

In that case I suppose I had best make it available, provided James is OK with that?

Sem, I assumed and hoped you would.

Edwardian & Daughter look forward to the build in due course, and will report here in full. 

• Like 1

How much would Derwent cost? 

As for Mike Sharman and his early locomotives, there is a wonderful article in Railway Modeller for December 1970 of his layout of the time, with a range of locos and stock covering the period 1830 - 70, including various Broad Gauge locos, Hackworth locos, Long Boilers, Cramptons, Bloomers and so forth.  Track is Broad, Standard and Mixed, with a works narrow gauge system too.

• Like 1

I don't know yet!

I guess I'll need to upload what is done so far and go from there. Given all the components, other than the tender wheels and motor, need to be printed, I'd guess it's approaching £30, if not a bit more, given the cost of my G6 at £16.76 in 4mm, excluding VAT.

Today we managed to get the car out of the lane and onto the road for the first time since Tuesday last!

This means I that I might be able to organise wood, screws etc for the board today or tomorrow. 

In the meantime, the first mine building is taking shape.  As you can see, we are adopting a very simple style so that my daughter can do as much as possible herself. This will be the winding house.  It's based on an 1840s painting.  To the right will be a wooden pit head, so I need to source some balsa/obechi type square-section wood.  To the right of this will be an engine house for a beam engine, presumably for pumping the mine dry.

This will, I know, leave me itching to produce a more 'finescale' version.  But this one's not about me!

post-25673-0-81785000-1520240089_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-20207400-1520240162_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Loving it.

A surprised engine house.

Isn’t she tempted to add a nose?

Ha, first thing she said when we added the door was "now it's got a face"!

She also presented me with a drawing this morning, with the words "this is an artist's impression of what my room would look like tidy.  Oh, and with a model railway".

I'm flabbergasted by this whole thing!  

post-25673-0-92173500-1520248220_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

A very interesting 0-8-0WT shown in your daughter's drawing!

I don't blame you for being shocked...

Seems to be her favourite wheel arrangement.  Well, she's going to have to learn to cope with six!

I notice that we have a station to station double-track arrangement in the drawing.

She intends to sit in bed to operate, I am told, so control of 'Bed Station' is fine, but we will need to have an automatic uncoupler and motorised points at 'Door Station', so she can operate return trains to 'Bed station'.

She seems to imagine this to be quite within my powers(!).

• Like 3

Well, six driving wheels and eight trailing wheels! Still, remove one set of driving wheels from the 0-8-0WT, and you have the middle bit of 'Derwent'!

Maybe she wants to model Exeter Central...

1ebcc277cc9cf1ceae3d653912b5e811.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1e/bc/c2/1ebcc277cc9cf1ceae3d653912b5e811.jpg

Well, two platforms... 

• Like 3

She also presented me with a drawing this morning, with the words "this is an artist's impression of what my room would look like tidy.  Oh, and with a model railway".

From my experience daughter's rooms are never tidy!  They're usually like Katie Morag's - 'a midden'!

Maybe that's why our learned friend's flabber is so gasted!    :jester:

Jim

• Like 1

Well, I've just had a pleasant surprise!

Not only is it printable, but it seems this part of Derwent isn't all that expensive, and this is on shapeways who I have often found to be more expensive!

post-33498-0-99740700-1520259613_thumb.png

I must note that, as of yet the boiler is solid. I have yet to work out an easy way of making it hollow!

• Like 3

From my experience daughter's rooms are never tidy!  They're usually like Katie Morag's - 'a midden'!

Maybe that's why our learned friend's flabber is so gasted!    :jester:

Jim

It's that she is such a girly girl.  Not the result of nurture (we never dressed her in pink!), but nature. It's been all make-up and fashion, girly pre-teen soap opera TV, Littlest Petshop  and pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows.

This morning she said, on her way out "oh, I nearly forgot we are having a fashion parade in our French Class", and threw some stuff together.  Only last week I had a daughter who would have obsessed over a fashion parade and spent a week planning it.

Now all she wants to do is run Dodo up and down my track and study Sem's CADs of Derwent.

Who has my real daughter?

Well, I've just had a pleasant surprise!

Not only is it printable, but it seems this part of Derwent isn't all that expensive, and this is on shapeways who I have often found to be more expensive!

attachicon.gifDT4.png

I must note that, as of yet the boiler is solid. I have yet to work out an easy way of making it hollow!

Cracking!

Just to bring the Parish up to speed, the thought was that a hollow boiler barrel would enable weight to be added, which might help keep all on the rails when being pulled around by the motorised coal tender.  It would be also useful for any clever chap who might have the skill to motorise the loco.

Would the solid plastic body weigh enough?

What do people think?

• Like 3

I didn't realise that puberty affected teenage girls so quickly, nor did I realise it occurred so young or caused such fantastic side effects as introducing railway modellers to the world!

I still intend to try and hollow it out, but we'll see. The solid metal wheels should help, if I can get them to work.

Based on Airfix Kit experience of many moons ago: no.

Even fitting good axles and bearings, I think you will struggle to get a tiny little thing like that to turn it’s own wheels without added weight.

Is crudity along the lines of drilling is axially and filling it with heavy things out of the question? And, can it not be printed hollow?

My guess is that the only thing you’ve got to worry about with your daughter’s newfound interest is how long it might last. She might fasten on the idea, but it might be one of those things that comes and goes, on a path to something or somewhere else. Just as you’ve built her a baseboard, she may get into butterfly collecting. Doing this isn’t a way of snuggling up with dad indoors, rather than going to shift horse manure in a Siberian gale, is it?

Mind you, my own youngest is making me think a bit. We always tend to think of model-making as a boys hobby, but girls are often into various crafts, mine is certainly the ‘maker’ of the two, and is heavily into Lego at the moment as well as anything that involves paint, glue, drawing etc ....... she’s actually got an outlook on these things that is much more like mine than my son has. When I saved the cereal packet card, she turned it into cut-outs of planets with no adult intervention. And, she creates complex fictions around her creations ..... now where have I come across that before? Oh, yes, railway modellers.

• Like 6

I will try and modify it to be hollow, the trouble being that this could now render the model unprintable. I should've thought about this earlier, even though I was discussing it with the WNR's CME...

Don't know if I've mentioned this publicly yet, but I'm currently doing up some CAD for S&DR No.25 'Derwent' for James' Daughter's project - It's certainly proving interesting!

msg-33498-0-72737700-1520189695_thumb.pn

So far the boiler, smokebox, dome, chimney, footplate and one piece of pipework are done, with the motionwork and cylinders being worked on separately.

Hopefully I can get this sorted by the end of the week to allow time to adjust, edit, fix, and generally iron out problems prior to James ordering the model and having time to build it!

Even older than 'Derwent' I know but there was an really informative article on the engineering of  'Puffing Billy' in Model Railways in 1978-79 (i.e. back in the days when model railway magazines were more than glorified toy train catalogues...)

• Like 2

Even older than 'Derwent' I know but there was an really informative article on the engineering of  'Puffing Billy' in Model Railways in 1978-79 (i.e. back in the days when model railway magazines were more than glorified toy train catalogues...)

Could it be produced as 2 hollow pieces, divided, say, below the running plate?  

I realise that I betray my complete ignorance of the processes involved ...

I could try that.

When sketchup decides to come out of its 40 minutes of not responding, I think I will remove the backhead area, and make a hollow from that end, before partially reinstating the backhead.

Mind you, my own youngest is making me think a bit. We always tend to think of model-making as a boys hobby, but girls are often into various crafts, mine is certainly the ‘maker’ of the two, and is heavily into Lego at the moment as well as anything that involves paint, glue, drawing etc ....... she’s actually got an outlook on these things that is much more like mine than my son has. When I saved the cereal packet card, she turned it into cut-outs of planets with no adult intervention. And, she creates complex fictions around her creations ..... now where have I come across that before? Oh, yes, railway modellers.

My 7½ year old granddaughter is of the same ilk.  Masses of Lego and always drawing or making.  So far no sign of a railway interest, though she was heavily into Thomas in her younger years!

From similar experience with a tender drive in the Kitmaster Evening Star, I agree about Derwent.

Jim

Edit to change to granddaughter (I'm not as young as I look - hopefully!  I mean the 'look' bit.  As my mother said on reaching 70 'I've had my three score years and ten, from now on is a bonus')

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows.

Damn you James!!!!! I will have that in my head all day now!!!!!!!!

Now I must go sort dinner out so I can take my daughter to Guides, where she is spending the evening making slime!!!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1