School Project - The Victorian Railway

I have no idea what is going on in these last few pages.  And please don't explain since I think such an explanation would defy all reason.   GokQJBt.png

Its endoftermitis, reason has gone on holiday!

How far is it by rail from CA to Midwich?

Too close for comfort.....

We apologise for the interruption, normal service will resume as soon as possible.  Fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heres Mike Sharman's one, I think your Derwent stands up rather well

I'm bound to say, even Sem's prototype looks far from shabby in comparison.  I suppose Mr Sharman's is loco-driven, evidence of his miniature engineering skill.  Nevertheless, a refined, detailed version of Sem's, with working motion and printed in FUD or similar, would, I suspect, outshine the older, hand-built model. 

• Like 2

I should've known that Mr Sharman would've done one!

I'm bound to say, even Sem's prototype looks far from shabby in comparison.  I suppose Mr Sharman's is loco-driven, evidence of his miniature engineering skill.  Nevertheless, a refined, detailed version of Sem's, with working motion and printed in FUD or similar, would, I suspect, outshine the older, hand-built model. 

Exactly, Sem! Your Derwent model is nothing to be sniffed at either!

Incidentally, its featured in this bit of film, some gorgeous modelling, just a pity how noisy the old Ks motors were

Mike Sharman's Victorian Model Railway (1987):

Love that red 2-2-2 well tank at about the 2:10 minute mark. Very charming little loco.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got a Crampton built using the methods outlined in that film, they’re funny engines, though, the way you have to build them is like nothing else. So far I got it pulling trains, but it still needs the outside motion to be made, every so often I look at it and think, naah. Credit to mike, he achieved it in 4mm.

• Like 5

Excellent video, thanks.

Re Mike Sharman's Hackworth, it is obviously the same class as Derwent, and the video says it's number 10.

So, I looked it up. The first No.10 was a Planet-type 2-2-0 coaching engine (called "Planet", like the Liverpool & Manchester one) by Robert Stephenson & Co, delivered 1830 and sold 1839.  

The second to bear the number was Auckland.  All S&D locomotives had names, very much including the mineral engines, and IIRC this was kept up by the Darlington Committee after merger with the NE, up to 1872.

Auckland, of 1839, was a Tory class twin-tender 0-6-0, the same as Derwent (1845).  Whereas Derwent was built by Kitchings, Auckland had been built by Hackworth.

Auckland lasted in service until c.1869.  There is no reason why she, or any of the other 16 or so Tory class engines, should not be represented by Sem's Derwent kit when it is devised.

Interestingly, Mike Sharman may have been misled.  Why choose No.10, Auckland?  Well the usual reason would be the existence of a photograph of the particular prototype.  I don't know of any photograph of Auckland, but there exists an 1875 photograph of No.26, Pilot, with No.10 painted on her. 

The fakery is alleged by Ahrons, who stated that the organisers of the 1875 Jubilee clebrations wanted a Hackworth-built locomotive to take part, but none had survived.  Pilot, which had been sold out of service to the Consett Water Co., was borrowed back and disguised. Pilot (1840), like Derwent (1845), which had been borrowed back from the Pease family collieries, was Kitching-built.

The real No.10 was not recorded as sold, but as simply replaced in 1870, so had probably been scrapped. In any case, like most of the Tory class, she seems to have been rebuilt (1852), though whether these rebuilds were with a conventional boiler as a 'fire box' engine - as was the case with the Miner class, I'm not sure.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful to see that film of Mike Sharman's layout.  It really is a visual delight.  Makes me want to get my digital model Crampton out and give it a run and give all the wee digital folk on Valleyfields a big surprise.

• Like 3

Well, even if it does, you’re perfectly free to replicate it. Anyway, who wants to be outside risking damaging their skin in this sunshine?

My thoughts exactly. Though I've needed to be. Been clearing the shed to make room for the KLR.

• Like 1