School Project - The Victorian Railway

She could always go to Beamish for inspiration for a loco (I'm thinking of the line beside the manor house).

Jim

Alas, Beamish is a little on the expensive side for us at the moment.

No need, I think, to go as far as Beamish, York or, even, Shildon on this occasion.

I have a feeling that Head of Steam at North Road Station, Darlington, will provide all the inspiration and information she needs to realise her plans (on the previous page: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131803-school-project-the-victorian-railway/?p=3069872)

post-25673-0-86498400-1520070436_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-12558400-1520070596_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-28288100-1520070695_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-27882300-1520070830_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-38887000-1520070942_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-44232400-1520071098_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-24681800-1520071242_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-10760100-1520071406_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 17

Well, you have plenty of material resources near at hand. What would a visit to George Stephenson's birthplace yield? - bah, not much, currently closed...

On a slight tangent, about twenty years ago I visited the Bowes Museum, and again last summer. They still have an exhibition of children's toys down the ages but not, alas, the one I remember most vividly from my first visit: a wooden toy train, about Brio size and very much in the Brio style, made for one of Edward Pease's children. I was deeply moved: almost certainly the very first toy train. Where is it now?

That I had not spotted in the Bowes.  I must see if it is still there.

• Like 1

How about Puffing Billy?

Hedley/Hackworth and (in later form) only 4 driving wheels so you could use a cheap Hornby 0-4-0 as a basis for development.....

As for track radius, Hornby Rad 1 (14.4" radius) would suffice for 4 wheelers and some swb 0-6-0s

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

Good for her!

When we "did" The Victorians" before Christmas, none of my lot mentioned railways - though it was up on our time-line on the classroom wall.

Like her idea of the layout being different on each side - very clever. Leads to talking about people moving from country to town, growth of large cities, development of seaside resorts etc.

Could also get some maths in, eg distances between places, unified time throughout the country, reading timetables.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 1

Thinking about the permanent way, since we are clearly not going to try to replicate the fishbelly plates, but given that they are chaired to the stones, a reasonable compromise might be to cut up standard Peco Code 75 streamline track, reducing the sleepers to  blocks that would be painted as stones?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And, maybe HMQ herself. She, and more particularly Albert, were technophiles, ‘early adopters’, who helped popularise rail travel, and telegraphy, by using them.

It was the ease of travel the railway brought that did for Albert - he took the train to Cambridge to remonstrate with Bertie when he really wasn't up to it. 

• Like 1

Thinking about the permanent way, since we are clearly not going to try to replicate the fishbelly plates, but given that they are chaired to the stones, a reasonable compromise might be to cut up standard Peco Code 75 streamline track, reducing the sleepers to  blocks that would be painted as stones?

If you have code 75 streamline to hand, then maybe.

However code 100 might be a bit more robust for this application!  Also, if you went down the Puffing Billy route, I don't know how well code 75 would co-exist with cheap Hornby 0-4-0 wheels....

rat-a-ta-ta-rat-a-tat-a....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the shop at Head of Steam would have a book of cut-out paper/card models? If not, they ought to, and I claim commission for the idea.

Looking at their website, I see the museum includes a partnership between the council, the NERA, and the Ken Hoole Collection very similar to the Midland Railway Study Centre partnership at the Silk Mill in Derby (currently closed for refurbishment, unfortunately). It's good to see that the parallel history of the two groups of George Hudson railways continues!

• Like 2

However code 100 might be a bit more robust for this application!  Also, if you went down the Puffing Billy route, I don't know how well code 75 would co-exist with cheap Hornby 0-4-0 wheels....

rat-a-ta-ta-rat-a-tat-a....

Motive power sorted!

Well, power for it, anyroad.

This motor bogie is available to pretty much the correct w/b and wheel diameter to fit into this coal tender.

No.25 it is!

The major complexity (for me) will be to make a rolling chassis for the engine, complete with working piston rods.  The coupled wheels are, fortunately, 4', so a pretty standard size, and I imagine that I could overlay them to represent plug wheels. 

post-25673-0-70555100-1520074567.jpg

post-25673-0-04217900-1520074666_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

To be cascaded to CA once it's served its purpose in the North East?

It is, I believe, greatly to my credit that the thought had not crossed my mind!

I had thought that it might form the basis for a permanent layout for her in due course, not that I want to push that idea yet; I am still reeling from the shock that she suggested this and seems committed. 

But, yes, there is no reason why I wouldn't give it a turn on CA in due course.  

A happy thought indeed!

However code 100 might be a bit more robust for this application! 

Actually, I don't have any of either.  The only flexi-track I possess is some SMP Code 75 Bullhead (and she's not having any of that!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Actually, I don't have any of either.  The only flexi-track I possess is some SMP Code 75 Bullhead (and she's not having any of that!)

James,

I will have to have a dig through the "train cupboard" but I may well have a fairly decent stock of never to be used Peco code 100, I will have a look this evening if you would like?

Gary

• Like 3

Must admit I had been looking at a comparison of track in a bookazine this morning and was rather taken with the SMP flexi track, possibly for use in a future project but Not Yet!

A circle of 1st radius Hornby track can be had for about 13 quid on ebay and you'd need a couple of lengths of some sort of code 100 straight track to hold the ends apart.  It shouldn't be too hard to carve the track base up to imitate stone blocks...   Wouldn't like to do 1st rad in flexitrack!

• Like 2

It is, I believe, greatly to my credit that the thought had not crossed my mind!

I had thought that it might form the basis for a permanent layout for her in due course, not that I want to push that idea yet; I am still reeling from the shock that she suggested this and seems committed. 

But, yes, there is no reason why I wouldn't give it a turn on CA in due course.  

A happy thought indeed!

Should you want to go the route suggested by Hroth, using Hornby set-track Radius 1 (which you could cut up to represent blocks) the oval with a 7inch straight inserted would work out about 34" by 40" minimum board size. (Edited to add a bit of space around the exact 29" x 36" track)

My local model railway shop has some S/H pieces in both nickel silver and steel (the steel is free! because it requires cleaning before use).  Pm me if you're interested.

• Like 3

Must admit I had been looking at a comparison of track in a bookazine this morning and was rather taken with the SMP flexi track, possibly for use in a future project but Not Yet!

A circle of 1st radius Hornby track can be had for about 13 quid on ebay and you'd need a couple of lengths of some sort of code 100 straight track to hold the ends apart.  It shouldn't be too hard to carve the track base up to imitate stone blocks...   Wouldn't like to do 1st rad in flexitrack!

Admittedly I have not shown any close-ups of the plain track, but that laid on CA is the SMP.  Nice thin sleepers; about as good as you're going get in OO, I reckon.

James,

I will have to have a dig through the "train cupboard" but I may well have a fairly decent stock of never to be used Peco code 100, I will have a look this evening if you would like?

Gary

Should you want to go the route suggested by Hroth, using Hornby set-track Radius 1 (which you could cut up to represent blocks) the oval with a 7inch straight inserted would work out about 34" by 40" minimum board size. (Edited to add a bit of space around the exact 29" x 36" track)

My local model railway shop has some S/H pieces in both nickel silver and steel (the steel is free! because it requires cleaning before use).  Pm me if you're interested.

That is very kind of you both, thank you.

• Like 3

Some very useful pictures of 'Derwent' there... as I said in my PM, I'll see what I can do!

Good to know a motor bogie would fit! Is it possible for you to send me dimensions?

I have a load of setrack, but no radius 1 unfortunately. One thing I have found very useful for building very tight 00 circuits is Triang Series 3 track, of all things! That would also be easy enough to chop up, and has the advantage here of a wider sleeper spacing. I have also used old Graham Farish flexi-track (00 Formoway), which I think uses brass rail, and proves to be very flexible, and it retains its shape without springing free of the sleepers. I managed to get a circuit of Formoway track into a small briefcase, and the only thing that can navigate it is a Hornby Peckett, due to how close to the walls it is. I soldered the rail joints, so it is (essentially) a circuit of continuous-weld rail!

• Like 1

Some very useful pictures of 'Derwent' there... as I said in my PM, I'll see what I can do!

Good to know a motor bogie would fit! Is it possible for you to send me dimensions?

I have a load of setrack, but no radius 1 unfortunately. One thing I have found very useful for building very tight 00 circuits is Triang Series 3 track, of all things! That would also be easy enough to chop up, and has the advantage here of a wider sleeper spacing. I have also used old Graham Farish flexi-track (00 Formoway), which I think uses brass rail, and proves to be very flexible, and it retains its shape without springing free of the sleepers. I managed to get a circuit of Formoway track into a small briefcase, and the only thing that can navigate it is a Hornby Peckett, due to how close to the walls it is. I soldered the rail joints, so it is (essentially) a circuit of continuous-weld rail!

Yes, I can send dimensions for the power bogie.  Yes, I have a number of photographs of the prototype, which I will send. I can take more on the planned visit.

• Like 1

All of that would be of incredible use!

I have already imported the drawing into sketchup!

Right then, let me take a picture of the A, to pacify the parishioners (!), and then I'll get right on to it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you are buying track you might consider the PECO Bi-Block track made for the French market but available in the UK

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/39832/SL-106F-Peco-Finescale-Code-75-Bi-Block-Sleeper-flexible-track

If you are buying track you might consider the PECO Bi-Block track made for the French market but available in the UK

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/39832/SL-106F-Peco-Finescale-Code-75-Bi-Block-Sleeper-flexible-track

Thanks, Andy.  A good and clever idea, though for this project, the set track curves might be best.  If there is a sequel layout, however, or even a remnant of the Castle Aching Coprolite Mining Company Tramway ..... !

Please 'scuse my awkwardness, m'lud, but may I request some decent views of the wheels?! Or of any other locos with the same wheel pattern?

M'pologies.

Views of the wheels tricky.  I will PM what I can, but this is probably the best of the bunch.  Locomotion has plug wheels too.  

post-25673-0-81295300-1520084277_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-35354600-1520084386_thumb.jpg

• Like 4