School Project - The Victorian Railway

• RMweb Premium

P.s. plug wheels:post-26540-0-41594300-1520086152_thumb.jpeg

(I was in the pattern shop when a pattern was made for a similar type for a 9BR pony truck wheel, honest injun, but it was never made, wonder why?!?

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

Back to track....

Thse are some shots of part of my "Christmas Tree" layout which, when assembled, runs a Hornby "Santa Express" around the Christmas Tree under the control of an Arduino Microcontroller, complete with stops, starts and sound effects.

However, this is the back section without any scenic effects.  The baseboard is 86cm by 43cm (34" by 17" in old money) which shows that a minimal layout could be perpetrated on a baseboard of about 3ft x 4ft with plenty of room for scenery in the middle and the track isn't too close to the edge.

post-21933-0-17748700-1520086669.jpg

post-21933-0-65162900-1520086678.jpg

The Terrier and its train of bedaubed and slightly modified Hornby 4-wheelers is just there to give scale and show that with small stock, first radius is completely adequate!

edit for something I thought about after posting...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 7

I have a couple of old Players cigarette boxes with several of these which my father built, locos and ships, along with some un-built sheets.

Jim

One I made earlier....

Definitely something a 10yo could make, as I was about that when I made a rake of 4-wheelers to go on my model railway.

One still survives...

post-21933-0-64299800-1520090307.jpg

Made from card, on a Triang wagon chassis, it depicts a primitive two compartment coach with the air of the Liverpool and Manchester about it.  Its glazed, with an interior of sorts, the door handles are pin heads.  The ventilators are later whitemetal additions.  I make no claims for modelling finesse or prototype authenticity, but it did the job at the time. It makes the Hornby 4-wheeler look finescale!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 12

May I suggest, Mr E. Dwardian, that you consider the early rolling stock requirements of the West Norfolk Railway when assisting with this project?

Also, do you have drawings for any simpler S&D Locos, or perhaps ones which may fit better with your own plans, as I fear, whilst I will do it, 'Derwent' shall not be able to be completed in the limited timescale of one week!

My. A. Pologies

May I suggest, Mr E. Dwardian, that you consider the early rolling stock requirements of the West Norfolk Railway when assisting with this project?

Also, do you have drawings for any simpler S&D Locos, or perhaps ones which may fit better with your own plans, as I fear, whilst I will do it, 'Derwent' shall not be able to be completed in the limited timescale of one week!

My. A. Pologies

Not really! 

We could always knock Derwent up in the traditional way using card, perhaps with the aid of printed plug wheels for the locomotive.

We really need a mineral loco, to stress the importance of the coal traffic.  There were some early passenger types, but no scale drawings.  The other advantage of Derwent is that there is a means of powering her, and I have ordered the motor bogie.

So, Derwent by one means or another it must be!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

Well, we have a Durham colliery winding house.  Pictures to follow.

Well done!

Its a good thing that its a Victorian Railway, otherwise you might have to have a blue swb Landrover and a woman in a long mac and hat standing beside it....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

Don't know if I've mentioned this publicly yet, but I'm currently doing up some CAD for S&DR No.25 'Derwent' for James' Daughter's project - It's certainly proving interesting!

msg-33498-0-72737700-1520189695_thumb.pn

So far the boiler, smokebox, dome, chimney, footplate and one piece of pipework are done, with the motionwork and cylinders being worked on separately.

Hopefully I can get this sorted by the end of the week to allow time to adjust, edit, fix, and generally iron out problems prior to James ordering the model and having time to build it!

• Like 6

Don't know if I've mentioned this publicly yet, but I'm currently doing up some CAD for S&DR No.25 'Derwent' for James' Daughter's project - It's certainly proving interesting!

So far the boiler, smokebox, dome, chimney, footplate and one piece of pipework are done, with the motionwork and cylinders being worked on separately.

Hopefully I can get this sorted by the end of the week to allow time to adjust, edit, fix, and generally iron out problems prior to James ordering the model and having time to build it!

Sem, glad you've broken cover with this; I did not want to presume.

It is looking magnificent

• Like 3

Is this going to be released publically via shapeways? I'd build one

If we can get it working successfully, then I expect I will release it and probably order one for myself eventually! As it stands, James will be the first to order one!

Actually...

Will it be the first, operational, 4mm scale model of Derwent produced as of yet?

• Like 2