School Project - The Victorian Railway

• RMweb Premium

Instead of printing in steel or brass (I suppose they actually cast it from the 3D resin master), I would just make it so that you can pack lead sheet into it. That's every corner, nock and cranny, as every bit will help... It's amazing just what a difference even a tiny sliver of lead makes. The boiler on the loco looks perfect for adding weight now too.

Would it be possible for the loco wheels to act as pick-ups for the spud? Or could skates be added to the underside of the spud to drag on the rail surface to help it to pick up?

Andy g

• Like 2

Instead of printing in steel or brass (I suppose they actually cast it from the 3D resin master), I would just make it so that you can pack lead sheet into it. That's every corner, nock and cranny, as every bit will help... It's amazing just what a difference even a tiny sliver of lead makes. The boiler on the loco looks perfect for adding weight now too.

Would it be possible for the loco wheels to act as pick-ups for the spud? Or could skates be added to the underside of the spud to drag on the rail surface to help it to pick up?

Andy g

I have just bought some Liquid gravity for the boiler, so I can try this.  There might need to be quite a heap of coal disguising the weight!

Sem - sent you another PM with photo of side view

• Like 1

I was thinking of taking a lump of metal, either lead cast to shape, or brass/steel hacked and filed to shape, and then applying a very thin skin made from card, brass shim, or plastic.

A lot depends on what the tender looked like, if indeed anyone really knows ...... the art of tenders wasn't very well developed, so it might have been a flat wagon with a coal box and a tank, sort of cobbled together, rather than something fancy.

The loco is preserved!

And I'm doing some 3D CAD for James based off of many, many photos courtesy of his good self and from Mike Trice and a drawing sent to me by James.

I could possibly produce a weight to sit inside the tender?

• Like 1

I was thinking of taking a lump of metal, either lead cast to shape, or brass/steel hacked and filed to shape, and then applying a very thin skin made from card, brass shim, or plastic.

A lot depends on what the tender looked like, if indeed anyone really knows ...... the art of tenders wasn't very well developed, so it might have been a flat wagon with a coal box and a tank, sort of cobbled together, rather than something fancy.

Oh, we know ....!

post-25673-0-33437900-1520431919_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well that buffer beam looks a good place to get some weight to start with! The question that springs to mind is: does it have two tenders?

Andy G

Well that buffer beam looks a good place to get some weight to start with! The question that springs to mind is: does it have two tenders?

Andy G

Yes, one coal and t'other water.

Yes it does!

That's a thought... metal buffer beams James?

Possible. Or another hollow space.  Whatever is technically feasible and reasonably economic.

• Like 1

Pound bet says that isn't the original tender, but ......

Looks like a perfect candidate for a "skinned lump" to me.

Is it that you chaps are less than comfortable attacking a lump with a hacksaw and files?

And, out of curiosity, why two tenders? I know that locos with U-flue boilers were often driven from the end opposite to the firdoor and chimney, but why thus with a Stephenson boiler? [ just realised ...... it has got a U-flue]

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, so that makes it easier for pick-ups too. The unpowered tender could have its two axles running in brass bearings, these mounted in brass side frames, but not in electrical contact with each other. Using axles that have one side shorted out (you can drill holes in the insulation and wedge in brass wire to short them out) you can then mount them with one un-insulated on each side (or using split axles on both sides...). This will give you low friction pick-ups, which will probably be important for such a light unit....

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The boiler on these had the fire hole door under the chimney, then a large flue with grate running back from this, then a combustion chamber the far end, then a set of fire tubes coming back to the front above and to each side of the large flue. These terminated in a smokebox, explaining why it is a saddle shape. The fireman worked at this end shovelling from the leading tender, which was just a large wooden playpen full of coal. The tender at the rear was just a rectangular water tank. Remember no injectors, boiler feed was by axledriven pump. Around 1960, we had this one and Locomotion sent over from Bank Top station where they’d been on plinths to be fettled up. Most of the woodwork was replaced, so Kevin’s halfway to winning his bet. Quite a few bolts needed replacing, the story goes that they needed to have a burnt and blackened look to suggest primitive workshops, and the smith shop foreman said they’d just give them to old so- and- so, and not tell him what they were wanted for, and he’d do his usual job.

I have sought counsel.

The Lass wants the model railway to represent the development of the railway.

How to do so?

The suggestion, from Runs As Required, is to have 2 separate tracks.

Thus:

- The basic Hornby First Radius oval (kindly sourced and supplied by Old Gringo of this parish) remains timbered but is slightly raised on a low embankment and now represents the late Stockton & Darlington-NER.

- A short end-to-end mineral line runs on the outside.  This will use Andy Hayter's suggestion of adapting PECO Bi-Bloc track. The Hackworth will run here with a train of chaldrons.

- To link the scene visually, and to link the 1840s mine in the centre with the outer mineral line, there will be an embankment carrying  a horse-drawn tramway.

- The back to back format is retained.  This was to be mine on one side and staithes on the other.  Now the staithes are moved to one end.  The back to back scenes will now be  (1) 1840s mine, which will be surrounded by countryside, and (2) an intensely industrial late Victorian scene with mines, factories, terraced housing etc.  

I will have to submit the revised plan for approval, of course.

post-25673-0-00013500-1520526546_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Have you decided on the NER loco?

I'd suggest a mainline J72, preferably in NER livery (they can be found - mine was £12 and it runs!), but if you need anything specific I will try, but can't promise.

As for 'Derwent' I have almost got her back to the stage she was at when I lost the files! :locomotive:  :danced:

• Like 2

Have you decided on the NER loco?

I'd suggest a mainline J72, preferably in NER livery (they can be found - mine was £12 and it runs!), but if you need anything specific I will try, but can't promise.

As for 'Derwent' I have almost got her back to the stage she was at when I lost the files! :locomotive:  :danced:

Thanks, Sem, and I appreciate the effort involved.

For the centre oval, if pushed I can find something vaguely Victorian from the collection to run.  Ideally I'd have a later S&D or NER loco. No idea if the kit built A Class would tolerate First Radius curves!

The idea of a Boubonnais long-boiler is a great one, but the chances of finding a cheap one!

There are some passenger classes I'm looking at.  If I find an easily motorised one, I'll let you know!

Your second scene, my gaze travelled up to the BRM ad at the top of the page with a picture of “no place”?

Oh, I'll have to have a look at this one, thanks

• Like 2

I forgot about the A!

How about this, if anyone can find drawings:

https://www.lner.info/locos/D/d19.php

Probably a bit big. If you can find something in your collection, then I'd suggest you use that to be honest, as I have very little time currently. I can manage Derwent, and possibly any 'detailing bits' you may need, but I need to focus on the T3 and G6 now.

• RMweb Gold

Personally, I would create a small two-tier diorama, with stone-block track, a chaldron wagon, and a horse at the top, on a wooden staithe.

On the lower level would be sleepered track, a North Eastern hopper wagon, and something like a Triang Nellie, or better still a Y7 (to use LNER terminology.

The coal would be shown stuck to some tape, demonstrating its passage through time.

I have sought counsel.

The Lass wants the model railway to represent the development of the railway.

How to do so?

The suggestion, from Runs As Required, is to have 2 separate tracks.

Thus:

- The basic Hornby First Radius oval (kindly sourced and supplied by Old Gringo of this parish) remains timbered but is slightly raised on a low embankment and now represents the late Stockton & Darlington-NER.

- A short end-to-end mineral line runs on the outside.  This will use Andy Hayter's suggestion of adapting PECO Bi-Bloc track. The Hackworth will run here with a train of chaldrons.

- To link the scene visually, and to link the 1840s mine in the centre with the outer mineral line, there will be an embankment carrying  a horse-drawn tramway.

- The back to back format is retained.  This was to be mine on one side and staithes on the other.  Now the staithes are moved to one end.  The back to back scenes will now be  (1) 1840s mine, which will be surrounded by countryside, and (2) an intensely industrial late Victorian scene with mines, factories, terraced housing etc.  

I will have to submit the revised plan for approval, of course.

Plan emphatically rejected!

One oval.  With a succession (!) of trains to be run, one after the other from early to late and mine one side and staithes the other.

(and do as you're told, Daddy!)

Ah, the Apple of my Eye is awake, and has provided Plans, which she drew up last night whilst I slumbered.

So, now I am thinking in terms:

- A pointless oval - not building turnouts will speed the project

- What minimum radius (to keep the size down) could I achieve?

- If we do go all 1840s, can I build the oval by soldering FB rail onto little squares of copper-clad PCB (to represent the stone sleepers)?

The Dóttir can provide the groundworks and little cardboard mines and factories.  It might be an idea to teach her to solder.

Dare I hope that I have bred at least one railway modeller after all?  Not the one I expected (and not because she's a girl but because as a matter of character and interests she seemed the least likely of the two).

Glad to have more girls joining our ranks! There is another modeller on this forum who is working on a joint model with his daughter - she is modelling one side of the board and he the other side? My daughter loves modelling buildings, but has very little time now she is a full time illustrator.

• Like 5

Well, James now has the link to order the locomotive portion of 'Derwent', and the tenders will be following soon. It'll be a while before the loco is available for sale, however, but it will happen.

• Like 1