School Project - The Victorian Railway

Well, James now has the link to order the locomotive portion of 'Derwent', and the tenders will be following soon. It'll be a while before the loco is available for sale, however, but it will happen.

Brilliant.  Thank you

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Mike, it looks like you have gone for fine flanges, but no coning on the tread. This won't work, triang got away with flat tread by having huge flanges, but you really need to get some coning on them...

Andy G

Thanks for the advice, I'll add the coning soon - can't think how I missed that. The Romford fitting was left out because A.) there may be patent issues and B.) I'm still trying to fathom out how to successfully add a screw thread!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice, I'll add the coning soon - can't think how I missed that.

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but I'd suggest you use one of the established model railway wheel profiles as this is more likely to result in wheels that run successfully. For example, the NMRA publishes RP25 online and it includes a very detailed tyre profile that should be possible to implement in your CAD.

Thanks for the advice, I'll add the coning soon - can't think how I missed that. The Romford fitting was left out because A.) there may be patent issues and B.) I'm still trying to fathom out how to successfully add a screw thread!

No need for a screw thread! If you could make the wheel to fit the Romford axle, the thread is on the axle itself, and the nut - the hole on the wheel centre is just a simple square.

I was under the impression it was a simple square - there is a circular nut that fits over the narrowed, threaded section of the axle end. This nut then snugs down to hold the wheel in place. This picture does a far better job of explaining than I ever could with words:

post-793-0-15813500-1520717036.jpg

This morning, I finished the baseboard.  Tabitha did everything else.

While I was finishing, she painted some cows.  And a hut.

Then, she really got cracking ......

Well done Tabitha!! You're working at a better pace than me... Very impressed and good luck with the rest of the layout.

Wish I was so productive!

It doesn't help that there are two cakebox challenges, Midsomer Brevis*, the Roundy and The Big Terminus on the go all at the same time....

I really should concentrate on one thing at a time!

* Being one aspect of "the universal layout"...

• Like 1

Wow

soldering

She is now at your standards James - I see a collaborative project coming on.

Good on her and good on you for the encouragement.

Agreed. I see an Assistant PW/Electrical Engineer post becoming available on CA, at which point the incumbent Chief Engineer may be required to look to his laurels!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Delightful.  These pictures really made me smile this morning.  James, your daughter puts me in mind of my own intrepid daughter who at age 30 something is quite fearless about picking up tools and having a go at most things including a year or two ago rebuilding the engine in her car.

• Like 6