Temporary Roco ovals for the spatially challenged

• RMweb Gold

If like me you don't have space for a full roundy roundy layout but do like to sometimes see trains going round and round, and like to run them in, I have found cheap Roco Geoline track on Ebay to form a large oval on the lounge carpet. I bought an initial oval and then some straights to enlarge it. It works really well and is normal HO track on a plastic base - it uses normal joiners but the base makes them easy to use so no bent joiners etc. This isn't a new concept but it cheap and works.

Currently an oval can be had on Ebay for £18 plus extra straights for £14, giving a large oval - it is split from trainsets as far as I can tell but has been great to run in new locos and help fix running faults on others. Simply unclips and the track gets slid under the TV stand. A lot cheaper than a rolling road. And SWMBO liked seeing my passengered and fully lit 143 going around in the dark!

There are various brands of track with bases, but the Roco stuff can be bought quite cheaply at present and could be a good solution. I have no connection with any vendors, just like to be able to run trains a decent distance.

• Like 3

One could divide the oval in five or six (rectangular) segments of wood and pre-install the on them on for faster (dis-)assembly and more efficient storage; in that case, very cheap track Pico A-track can be used.

The large layout carpet model rail blokes use this method quite often, as they often rent venues by the weekend and want to run their trains most the time and not lay track most of the time available for a few hours of running trains ...

OTOH, Trix C-Track also works very well on carpets but it is more expensive (especially switches) ....

Best Regards,

Christian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If you can live with 'stand way off' muddles of the various TGV designs to be found across European Railways. I commend Marklin's Myworld system to you.

My Wilton and Axminster is my great nephew's raison d'etre.

I build a new track design from my imagination each time he visits and in the process he learns a little about geometry and operation being slightly dyslexic the pain of formal learning is removed it is a practical demonstration of the principles.

Being designed for toddlers is not a negative it amuses all ages.

There is great FUN to be had.

And it can be packed away in a few minutes.

The new 'train sets' come with an oval of track and a siding. The steam loco has a ultra sonic humidifier to make 'smoke' so what is not to like?

The sets even include batteries!

In pure fun terms this has to be the way forward for your train mad ankle biters. You as plump controller get to play trains with the excuse you are entertaining the kids...win/win.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2018 at 10:42, ruggedpeak said:

If like me you don't have space for a full roundy roundy layout but do like to sometimes see trains going round and round, and like to run them in, I have found cheap Roco Geoline track on Ebay to form a large oval on the lounge carpet. I bought an initial oval and then some straights to enlarge it. It works really well and is normal HO track on a plastic base - it uses normal joiners but the base makes them easy to use so no bent joiners etc. This isn't a new concept but it cheap and works.

Currently an oval can be had on Ebay for £18 plus extra straights for £14, giving a large oval - it is split from trainsets as far as I can tell but has been great to run in new locos and help fix running faults on others. Simply unclips and the track gets slid under the TV stand. A lot cheaper than a rolling road. And SWMBO liked seeing my passengered and fully lit 143 going around in the dark!

There are various brands of track with bases, but the Roco stuff can be bought quite cheaply at present and could be a good solution. I have no connection with any vendors, just like to be able to run trains a decent distance.

I agree and do this for "running in" and the raised ballast effect means you are away from most of the carpet fluff.

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, d&h said:

I agree and do this for "running in" and the raised ballast effect means you are away from most of the carpet fluff.

Exactly what I do in front of the TV for new locos as my main layout is a micro. Has been a cheap way of giving locos a good workout.

On 24/03/2018 at 10:45, ruggedpeak said:

The ebay seller has dropped the price of the loop to £15 Bought some more and got 2018 Roco catalogues included in the delivery :)

Okay, so a little more up to date than this post, but seller Toyauction.de will sell you a circle of this track and ship it to you for free from Germany! Mind, at a Buy it Now price of £1003.26, I should hope the postage is free!

Perhaps the price hike is to cover possible tariffs imposed upon such sales post-Brexit?!

Merry Xmas, folks!

Steve S

PS

I have messaged the seller with the simple question "Is this the genuine price or has an extra zero slipped in by accident?" Will update with any reply... LOL

I have a set of the Bachmann e-z track from an "Underground Ernie" train set for the same thing.

There's a complete circle here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-E-Z-Track-12-Sections-Of-18-30-Curves-Complete-Circle/324021624022?hash=item4b71319cd6:g:0BsAAOSwG49d6Cr- for just under £18 including postage. Many other listings of odd straights points, etc. too.

Edit: another circle here steel track less than £13: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-HO-OO-Scale-E-Z-EZ-Track-Circle-Loop-18-R-30deg-Steel-Rails-12pcs/323887321674?hash=item4b6930524a:g:VakAAOSw901dWTDk

Martin 

Edited by Smoking gun
Inserted another, cheaper, link & spelling
  • Thanks 1