D1709 Convertible 3rd / Sleeper

JeremyC

I'm currently building one of these for the 1950s period and want to represent a coach in sleeper configuration with some of the window blinds closed. Can anyone tell me what colour these were as all the photos I can find are black and white.

In the convertible condition were the upper bunks set up by the passengers (as is often done on ferries) or was it ready set up for them by the railway staff?

Finally a general question does anyone have a good way of fitting the long rain strips on the roof, I've tried brass wire and superglue, but it's not holding. For those not familiar with these kits the roof is aluminium so no soldering.

Edited by JeremyC

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently building one of these for the 1950s period and want to represent a coach in sleeper configuration with some of the window blinds closed. Can anyone tell me what colour these were as all the photos I can find are black and white.

In the convertible condition were the upper bunks set up by the passengers (as is often done on ferries) or was it ready set up for them by the railway staff?

Finally a general question does anyone have a good way of fitting the long rain strips on the roof, I've tried brass wire and superglue, but it's not holding. For those not familiar with these kits the roof is aluminium so no soldering.

Carrs make a solder and flux suitable for aluminium.