Peco Hydraulic Buffer Stop - is there a prototype?

Can't find anything other than pictures of this item online. Does anyone know if this was based on a prototype, even loosely? I can imagine a pair of them suitably coloured and weathered (and with the horrible moulded lamp removed) looking quite at home in an urban terminus.

I'm happy to freelance, but if Peco's moulding does have some provenance, that would be useful to know. Thanks.

post-17811-0-99064400-1520182438.jpg

Edited for typo.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

How common place were hydraulic stops?

I really don't know Russ. The subject has been gone over before on RMWeb, but the site search isn't working properly and I can't find anything at the moment.

From memory, Waterloo, Lancaster, Crewe, Paddington although I'm sure there must be plenty of others. A Google Images search doesn't give much away either. Historically, I guess there must have been many more that have been lost to time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

From memory, Waterloo, Lancaster, Crewe, Paddington although I'm sure there must be plenty of others. A Google Images search doesn't give much away either. Historically, I guess there must have been many more that have been lost to time.

I’m sure in my yoof I recall a journalist asserting that every time a train kissed the buffers at Waterloo, all the gents loos flushed!

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Some similar buffer stops at Bradford Interchange station:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41294071@N02/4319281646

http://community.dur.ac.uk/paul.hodgkinson/wordpress/index.php/2010/07/stoodley-pike-botanical-gardens/

They are still there but in the 'compressed' position nowadays, having been superseded by modern ones placed further out on the same lines - I believe this was done at the same time as the station throat was remodelled in 2008.

I think they were relocated from the old Bradford Exchange station, when Interchange was built to replace it:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1872152

Were they pressurised with oil or water or were there both sorts?

I may be completely wrong, but I thought they were pressurised with water stored in a tank. I seem to recall that if the stops were compressed, the water would discharge all over the track. Very happy to be proven wrong though.

The lack of a functioning RMWeb site search is annoying, as I know hydraulic buffer stops have been covered here before in detail. If anyone knows a link, that would be useful.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that's really useful, thanks. It hadn't occurred to me to search Google using "rmweb" in the search! There's actually quite a few threads on RMWeb featuring hydraulic stops.

I knew a girl with hydraulic buffers - and they certainly needed a support frame.

I guess the chance of Sherry browsing this thread are slim, but you do seem to like living dangerously. Have you tried paragliding or potholing? May be safer...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I guess the chance of Sherry browsing this thread are slim, but you do seem to like living dangerously. Have you tried paragliding or potholing? May be safer...

Sherry knows my tendancies, Pete........

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

We had a thread about this a few months back I’m sure?

Sorry read some of the above posts after posting that, I’m not the only one to notice there is already various threads!

Edited by big jim

• 2 years later...
On 05/03/2018 at 10:12, luckymucklebackit said:

Not dissimilar to the buffers at Glasgow Central, although they have been modified with a support frame

19000152078_7776e06e46_c.jpgSafety First by Steve Hallam, on Flickr

Jim

I guess this is more to do with providing a stop for modern units with the middle part buffering to the coupling, as the new stock doesn't have traditional buffers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I thought those 'new' additional frames were to prevent the buffers pushing back out after they were compressed? I m fairly sure there was an incident (at a London terminal?) where a train hit buffers at low speed, but damage and injury was caused by the rebound. I might be imagining this though! 

12 minutes ago, Sotto said:

I thought those 'new' additional frames were to prevent the buffers pushing back out after they were compressed? I m fairly sure there was an incident (at a London terminal?) where a train hit buffers at low speed, but damage and injury was caused by the rebound. I might be imagining this though! 

Cannon Street?

• Agree 1