GWR loco development - new book?

• RMweb Premium

No, but I've seen some of the author's contributions on the web

[Edit] I meant to paste in this link http://www.gwr.org.uk/no-prairies.html

Edited by Andy Kirkham

Description on that internet shopping behemoth:

The first thought, when contemplating a new study of the Great Western Railway locomotive fleet, must surely be to ask what can there be left to say? But there is no single source which gives a general introduction to the Great Western locomotive fleet. There are monographs on individual classes, an excellent multi-volume detail study from the RCTS, and superb collections of photographs, but nothing that brings it all together. This work is intended to provide that general introduction. The volume begins with a series of short essays covering general trends in design development, whilst the main body of the volume covers individual classes. For each class there is a small table containing some principal dimensions and paragraphs of text, covering an introduction, renumbering, key changes in the development of the class and information on withdrawal. The volume concludes with appendices covering the development and types of standard boilers, the various numbering schemes used by the GWR, the arcane subject of locomotive diagrams and lot numbers, and a short reference on the many lines the GWR engulfed. The majority of illustrations are new profile drawings to a consistent format. Described as sketches, they are drawn to consistent scales, but do not claim to be scale drawings. Much minor equipment has been omitted and the author has certainly not dared to include rivets! Although most are based around GWR weight diagrams, they are not simple traces of the original drawings. Detail has been added from other sources, components copied from different drawings and details have been checked against historical and modern photographs. One must also bear in mind that steam locomotives were not mass produced. Minor fittings frequently varied in position and changes were made over the locomotives' lifetimes. Nevertheless, this collection of drawings provides a uniquely consistent view of the GWR locomotive fleet.

Looks to be exactly what I was wanting! Order duly placed...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An excellent book, well done Jim. I received my pre-ordered copy earlier this week, direct from the publisher. It really does bring together a lot of material from different souces so will be very useful. The shaded line drawings are excellent, particularly in tracing changes during the evolution through various diagrams of a particular class. I did find one small comment that needs attention, a reference to Saint David's conversion to the prototype Hall on page 126. It was of course 2925 St Martin that underwent conversion in 1924 to become the first Hall. 2920 St David was the last Saint, being withdrawn in 1953. Most GWR afficionados would be well aware, so would regard this as just a minor slip that occurs easily at the editing stage.

The section on tenders is particularly useful, as alluded to elsewhere.

David Murrell

An excellent book, well done Jim. I received my pre-ordered copy earlier this week, direct from the publisher. It really does bring together a lot of material from different souces so will be very useful. The shaded line drawings are excellent, particularly in tracing changes during the evolution through various diagrams of a particular class. I did find one small comment that needs attention, a reference to Saint David's conversion to the prototype Hall on page 126. It was of course 2925 St Martin that underwent conversion in 1924 to become the first Hall. 2920 St David was the last Saint, being withdrawn in 1953. Most GWR afficionados would be well aware, so would regard this as just a minor slip that occurs easily at the editing stage.

The section on tenders is particularly useful, as alluded to elsewhere.

David Murrell

Thank you, keep any corrections coming. Bl***y irrritating because that one is correct elsewhere. If there's ever a second edition it will be dealt with. 

There will be other errors I fear, hopefully none major. Readers of the GWR E list will be aware that I caught one horrific error about 20 minutes before the press rolled. The source book with the dodgy info has some very angry annotations in the margin!

I don't know how it could be managed, but I would love to have some sort of "user group" for the volume. I have a file, for instance, with all the references I used writing the thing. Its pretty much unreadable since it tells you, for example, that there were two references on P126, but not which paragraph they refer to. I couldn't think of an easy way to do that.