Q1 No 33021

Hello

I am new to this sub-group but I have a long-standing interest in the Southern. This stems from my spotting days at Waterloo from 1965 to 1967. I also visited Nine Elms regularly and visited Eastleigh and Salisbury MPD at the end of steam on the Southern. However, I never got to see a Q1 at all as they had all but disappeared by my time.

My interest in No 33021 is because I have a photograph of it on the ECML on its way to Ferme Park with a cross London goods. A loco driver friend of mine at Hornsey MPD told me the Southern men would come on shed to sort their Q1 out before the weekday rush hour and rest up in the mess room before returning to the Southern after the rush hour had finished.

I am interested in where this particular engine was shedded circa 1960 and whether or not it received the later BR emblem. Also, if anyone could point me to a book or magazine where this loco is well photographed that would be great too. It would also be nice to know where these freight trains originated from. Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards. Les

• Like 1

I managed to underline all of the Q1 locos when I lived in London.

There is a soft back book entitled The Story of the Q1s, John Scott Morgan and published by KRB Publications.

There is a whole page on 33021, the book states that the loco was at Eastleigh from September 1947.

It was repaired at Ashford on the 26 Jan 1960 and again in 5 May 1960. Then Eastleigh 9 March 1962 and Guildford or Eastleigh 11 June 1962.

Withdrawn 24 Aug 1963 and scrapped 26 Oct 1962.

Hope this helps and is accurate.

Eddie