Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Sir William McAlpine dies

Andy Y

Hi All,

I had the great pleasure of knowing Sir William too and he was a real gentleman. I have volunteered at his Fawley Hill railway for a couple of years and he was nothing but the nicest, most enthusiastic and warm gentleman you could wish to meet. He is of course a former owner of Pendennis Castle and it was an absolute pleasure to reunite him and Lady Judy with his former steed last year. I am really sad that he now won’t be there to see her run again.

I remember watching him in preservation films on television as a boy and really admiring what he had done for steam. Years later I got to meet and work with him. All I can say is that it is a fortunate person who gets to meet someone he admires and it is a doubly fortunate person that gets to realise that they are exactly as you imagined them to be.

He is a true loss to the movement and he will be remembered long into the future.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I was fortunate enough to meet Sir Bill several times in the early 1970s when Flying Scotsman and Pendennis Castle were based at Market Overton.

I have some very happy memories of talking to him.

Dasvid

• Like 2

Probably the most influential man in railway preservation we will ever know. His knowledge and background gave him the tools to go out and encourage others and we must all hope that none of this goes to waste.......................RIP and thanks for sharing your knowledge! I think that BR will not be the same without you!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very sad to hear that.  Sir Bill's open weekends at Fawley Hill were always very good - I guess they'll be lost too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the irregular big events continue as Lady M (Judy) has been the driving force behind them so there might at least be an 'in memoriam' event this year.  Mr Bill, as everybody at Fawley knew him, wasn't looking too well a couple of years back at the last big event so I'm not surprised to hear that he's gone although saddened to hear of it, there was a very good obituary in yesterday's 'Telegraph'.

Back in 1985 he had a special train to celebrate, I think, his wedding anniversary (with his first wife) and Bernard Staite of SLOA dealt with it on Mr Bill's behalf while I did all the BR planning and arrangements, having to make sure that his saloon GE1 remained marshalled rear with the balcony trailing all the way round the route with a highlight being Highland dancing on the platform at Worcester Shrub Hill; he definitely knew how to have a good day out.

• Like 11

I believe that Bil McAlpine  used his influence (and probably  his funds) to rescue 4472 from a low position   and worked with his friend Pete Waterman to secure the future of the loco.

Is it the case that his passing away was incorrectly reported in the media several years ago?

Hi All,

We all said our goodbyes to Sir William at Fawley today. He took his last journey behind his beloved No.31 surrounded by his family and friends. Despite the weather making hill climbing less than straightforward, No. 31 and the loco crew performed faultlessly. It was quite some spectacle seing the locomotive and train slowly descend the hill as a lone piper played in the distance.

post-14393-0-58421500-1521925446_thumb.jpeg

No. 4079 marked the occasion as well. Her fireman’s side name plate was taken with us and was on display in Fawley Manor.

post-14393-0-21028900-1521925528_thumb.jpeg

As he was laid to rest in the earth of his estate, the sound of the mighty Canadian Pacific air horn stack on D2120 echoed through the hills in a final salute.

Goodbye Sir William and thank you.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1