HST substitution and reserved seats

jonny777

I am booked to travel GWR to Paddington later this week, and my reserved seat is in coach J. 

Presumably, this means the service is booked for a 10-coach pair of 800s.

If due to unforeseen circumstances an HST is substituted will the seat allocations just be a free-for-all, or will those unfortunate enough not to be booked in coaches A-E (assuming F,G,H to be buffet/1st class) be the forgotten people and shunted into any unreserved seat available?

• RMweb Gold

I am booked to travel GWR to Paddington later this week, and my reserved seat is in coach J. 

Presumably, this means the service is booked for a 10-coach pair of 800s.

If due to unforeseen circumstances an HST is substituted will the seat allocations just be a free-for-all, or will those unfortunate enough not to be booked in coaches A-E (assuming F,G,H to be buffet/1st class) be the forgotten people and shunted into any unreserved seat available?

Those with a reservation in an identifiable seat should get it and those without will, if they have any sense, grab the first unreserved one they spot.

A parallel situation arose for a pal of mine recently when an HST ran with "his" coach removed due to a fault.

Not that big a deal for those travelling solo and sufficiently quick to react (as he was), but possibly tricky for families.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Can't say for sure, but it's not unusual to see a message such as "Reservations for Coach J are in Coach D" (or whatever) on station screens.

I can't find an example at the moment, but did find this one....

attachicon.gif1C82.JPG

That's a slightly different thing and generally happens when there isn't time to apply the reservations without causing additional delay to the back working.

It could happen with a set substitution, but that would depend on how much warning the operator had.  

The usual, pragmatic, policy is to fulfil as many reservations as possible, ensuring the guard only has to deal with one coach-full of disgruntled passengers rather than a whole trainload. He/she is better able to help the displaced if there are fewer of them.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling