Ferodo bridges

Del

I've seen numerous pictures of girder bridges with Ferodo advertising on them.

How many were (are?) there?

Were they geographically widespread, or only in certain locations?

When was the first advert put up?

Any info gratefully received.

• Like 2

The only one I remember, for sure, was on the North Circular in London, which I drove under for many years - https://shopfrontelegy.wordpress.com/2014/12/20/ferodo-bridge-stonebridge/

But I am sure there was one at Hornsey or Harringay. at perhaps at Barnet. I suggest you google "ferodo bridges" and wade through the hundreds of entries?

• Like 1

But I am sure there was one at Hornsey or Harringay. at perhaps at Barnet. I suggest you google "ferodo bridges" and wade through the hundreds of entries?

I tried that, but there seems to be lots of photos of a few of them!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

I'm sure there was one just south of Leicester Central where the GC passed over Braunstone Gate, but that might just be my dodgy memory; and that bridge has long been removed anyway. 

• Like 1

According to this piece, https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventrys-ferodo-bridge-local-landmark-12798716 there were originally twelve Ferodo bridges, but there were only two left, as of March last year, Coventry and over the North Circular Road in London.

Only twelve? That's actually rather a surprise. Hmm, maybe not then.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the Ipswich one is still there.

If my memory serves me right Albert bridge under Middlesbrough station was also one.

It seems odd now that a brake company would go to such lengths to advertise to the general public.

Most people nowadays wouldn't have a clue who made brakes or other automotive components

• Like 1

I think the Ipswich one is still there.

If my memory serves me right Albert bridge under Middlesbrough station was also one.

It seems odd now that a brake company would go to such lengths to advertise to the general public.

Most people nowadays wouldn't have a clue who made brakes or other automotive components

In those days, it was more common for car owners to do their own maintenance, partly due to the vehicles being simpler and the fact that that there were many more men with mechanical skills, the U.K. being a heavily industrialised place in the postwar era.

My old man certainly did all his own maintenance but then he was a time-served mechanic.

Pity I never watched him more closely, I might have learnt more beyond the occasional industrial language when his spanner slipped on a cold Saturday morning! ;-)

D4.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I still do 90% of my maintenance.

I remember Dutton Forshaws parts department had a que the same as a chip shop on a Saturday dinner time.

It was so common to see blokes under dangerously support cars on a weekend , I'm actually surprised more didn't get squashed

Another part of British life that has vanished..... The man with a three inch head!

• Like 1

Broadening this topic slightly, I wonder what other bridge advertising there has been over the years...?

I'm thinking about whisky or other brewery advertising particularly.... (got the Edinburgh Sub in mind!!!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold