Ferodo bridges

Del

How many cars used pads - implying disc brakes - in the era when these signs were being painted?

Brake pads (implying as you say disk brakes) were introduced on cars in the mid-late 50's (Jaguar XK, MGA Twin Cam etc) and were derived from their use in motor racing which in turn took the idea from aircraft brakes. So potentially brake pads were being sold at the time the bridges were being painted. But, from the dawn of motoring until around the 1970s brakes were frequently 're-lined', i.e. new friction material was rivetted to the existing brake shoes, the metal shoe being in effect the backing / mounting for the lining and not a consumable, thus being re-used many times. I remember buying re-lined brake shoes for an MGB in the early 1980s, I had to give the worn shoes back in exchange.

It is only in the more recent 'throw away' times that we buy the shoes & linings new, along with the change from rivetted linings to bonded. 

Hence 'linings' is actually more accurate in terms of what Ferodo actually sold.

As a child I had a tour of the factory (in Leeds) of one of Ferodo's rivals (Mintex). My father tells me you could see the asbestos dust in the air. So far we have both survived the experience, but I bet that isn't the case for many of the workers we saw. 

Regards

Chris        

• Like 1

I was still turning in the old shoes here in Australia until at least 2004 (haven't had to replace any since). It always made me popular with staff in nice clean car accessory shops when I plonked a leaky carrier bag containing the old brake fluid and EP90 soaked units on the counter :D.

• Like 2

I was still turning in the old shoes here in Australia until at least 2004 (haven't had to replace any since). It always made me popular with staff in nice clean car accessory shops when I plonked a leaky carrier bag containing the old brake fluid and EP90 soaked units on the counter :D.

Ha ha been there done that. I had some time in Australia with an MGC 20 years ago, I bet if I needed shoes for that it would be a re-lining job there now, shoes would not be on the shelf. Re-lining is still done for rare veteran / vintage cars in the UK too. I'll duck out of this discussion now I think as I suspect am seriously off topic!     

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As a child I had a tour of the factory (in Leeds) of one of Ferodo's rivals (Mintex). My father tells me you could see the asbestos dust in the air. So far we have both survived the experience, but I bet that isn't the case for many of the workers we saw. 

I think white asbestos is usually the type used in brake linings, and is among the least noxious of the various forms, I think, so you may well avoid illness. I have known several people who died of mesothelioma, and none of them had worked with asbestos. But they had all worked in laboratories built in a certain era when blue asbestos was regarded as a fine insulator.

In the early 80s we had a programme of removing brown asbestos from the 1960s Kent Coast Electrification signalboxes. It required a weekend’s closure, and some innovative operating practices with a lot of special instructions to adjoining boxes.

• Like 5

Now, how did I know Mr. Dell would be fast out the traps with the Ipswich example! Though you probly driv over it more often than under Andi?

On other matters, it's possibly not a bad thing have a go weekend mechanics are less common. Also consider that self servicing of safety critical kit is frowned upon lest you void your warranty or have a gaping hole in the service history which could impact on resale.

Or, it could be the designed in redundancy of components, not available after market, that restricts the purchaser of a vehicle to a handcuffed servicing deal by the vehicle manufacturer. But that's cynical nonsense, Shirley?

C6T.

• Like 2

I think there's some old Bonded warehouses over at Burton on Trent that have LMS on them, might be the one's used by Nemesis rail. 

Edited by 73c

True! Forgot those as I was just thinking about bridges.

One of the Midland warehouses still fulfills something close to it's original purpose with some rather expensive wines.

• Like 2

I think white asbestos is usually the type used in brake linings, and is among the least noxious of the various forms, I think, so you may well avoid illness. I have known several people who died of mesothelioma, and none of them had worked with asbestos. But they had all worked in laboratories built in a certain era when blue asbestos was regarded as a fine insulator.

Lots of us went round Barry scrapyard, and there was plenty of what looked like white asbestos kicking around there, but fortunately most of it was either soggy or seemed fairly solid, so hopefully was OK if you didn't knowingly touch any of it. But you never know...

• Like 1

Another car dealer's ad on a bridge- Oscroft's on a bridge over Arkwright Street in Nottingham (down the page)

http://www.gcrleicester.info/html/nottingham.html

and another Nottingham one- Crocus Street Nottingham with an ad for H.H. Cooke, Sheet metal workers,

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM000394&pos=19&action=zoom&id=51839

• RMweb Premium

I googled "Ferodo Bridges" and got this  http://alexrapter.wixsite.com/ferodobridges/about

Ferodo Bridges is a theatre company / artistic platform founded in 2012 in order to support artists that believe in investigation and innovation as a way of exploring performance practice. As an interdisciplinary platform, we explore a range of art forms and disciplines, such as theatre, visual art, live art and performance, with a view to creating work that is new and exciting.

:huh:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In the early 80s we had a programme of removing brown asbestos from the 1960s Kent Coast Electrification signalboxes. It required a weekend’s closure, and some innovative operating practices with a lot of special instructions to adjoining boxes.

There is a very distinct possibility that someone somewhere made a very good business out of deliberately mixing the blue and white varieties in peoples minds.

Now you mention it, I'm sure there was one for Johnnie Walker/Red Hackle in Glasgow. Damned if I can think where though. Probable drove under it with Dad when he was away to Rattray's for some bits to fix the A40!

d4

Are you thinking of the "Cutty Sark" Bridge that takes the Rutherglen and Carmyle Railway over the A8 at Bargeddie?  It was known locally by that name for many years, the advertising boards are still there, but now are covered by canvas adverts that change as the contract period expires

post-188-0-80005300-1520511050_thumb.jpg

Jim

True! Forgot those as I was just thinking about bridges.

One of the Midland warehouses still fulfills something close to it's original purpose with some rather expensive wines.

There is this in Plymouth's Barbican area: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@50.3665898,-4.1343022,3a,75y,224.34h,111.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWI46TmfQhSUF2n2im_i2MQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 - it may have been restored but it looks genuine to me.

• RMweb Premium

Lots of us went round Barry scrapyard, and there was plenty of what looked like white asbestos kicking around there, but fortunately most of it was either soggy or seemed fairly solid, so hopefully was OK if you didn't knowingly touch any of it. But you never know...

Touching it would cause no harm - its drilling into it or sawing it up, generating dust particles that you breathe that may cause trouble. 

Guest teacupteacup

Are you thinking of the "Cutty Sark" Bridge that takes the Rutherglen and Carmyle Railway over the A8 at Bargeddie?  It was known locally by that name for many years, the advertising boards are still there, but now are covered by canvas adverts that change as the contract period expires

attachicon.gifcutty sark bridge.JPG

Jim

That bridge has recently had a lot of work done to it and has been repainted, losing the advertising hoardings in the process

There was a bridge over Springburn Road outside St Rollox, and an earlier view showing the ads changed...

Edited by teacupteacup